Up and running, have a few small issues

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a way to run a max CPU test to rule out a faulty computer I bought on eBay :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Gosh, I shouldn't have tried turning off hardware acceleration in Blue Iris because this thing hasn't sent me a screen update for 5 minutes now.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh, I thought you gave up lol.

I can reboot it remotely with my wifi switch :) should I do that?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So, when I logged in I found the CPU usage really high of course, and task manager reporting low clock speeds like <2 GHz.

It should be between 3400 MHz and 4000 MHz at all times under a load like this. CPU temperature is quite low at 40-45°C so it isn't thermal throttling.

I adjusted the minimum CPU speed in Windows and that made the clock speed go up but BI still managed to use it all. Not sure what is going on with this machine yet.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For what its worth, I got BI's CPU usage down to about 20% average by reducing frame rates. Nothing else I did seemed to help. Newer and older Intel drivers refused to install. I even SMART tested the hard drive, wondering if that could be a bottleneck, but it was fine. Disabling hardware acceleration for 1-3 cameras only made it worse, so the h.264 decoder hardware likely wasn't the bottleneck.

The load that was too much for it (I think):

5x 4MP @ 25 FPS
1x 4MP @ 20 FPS
1x 2MP @ 25 FPS

or approximately 630 MP/s. Usage looked pretty normal with 4 or 5 of those cameras enabled (< 30%). The last two would result in an overload, dropped frames, and exceptionally poor performance. My i7-3770k runs the same MP/s at 30% load, although it is more cameras at lower frame rates and mostly lower resolutions. Maybe that is important somehow.

How it ended up is:

6x 4MP @ 15 FPS
1x 2MP @ 25 FPS

at about 20% CPU usage.

I can hardly guess at why it worked out this way.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Big thanks to @bp2008 for helping a fellow member out. He was able to fix my system and troubleshoot the hang ups. I learned a lot watching him work. I am glad it wasn't me that caused the slow ups (or at least I don't think so, I hadn't touched much from BI default)

I saw that you gave up on Mpeg4 and went back to BI DVR format for recording. Did that make a noticeable difference? It does allow playback during recording which is nice, I used to get a generic playback error when I had mpeg h.264 selected (requiring driver/software that I had already loaded). Does it still benefit from hardware acceleration with Blue Iris DVR video format, or not necessary?

I must say, this setup is significantly more customizable, more fluid playback, less bugs and overall a pleasure to operate remotely then the Dahua 4K NVR ever was. I am very happy with Blue Iris!

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
side note...camera properties>event color...if you set different colors they will appear independently in the timeline...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw that you gave up on Mpeg4 and went back to BI DVR format for recording. Did that make a noticeable difference? It does allow playback during recording which is nice, I used to get a generic playback error when I had mpeg h.264 selected (requiring driver/software that I had already loaded). Does it still benefit from hardware acceleration with Blue Iris DVR video format, or not necessary?
MP4 files are not playable until they are completely finished being written. Not only is this annoying, but it is slightly dangerous because if Blue Iris were to crash then you'd have a bunch of unfinished MP4 files that you probably couldn't play without running them through specialized recovery software first. Efficiency is pretty much the same between MP4 and BVR. Hardware acceleration is used either way. The downside of BVR is it doesn't play correctly in anything except Blue Iris so you have to export your clips to MP4 or AVI before you can share them, upload to youtube, etc. With 8 hour clips you'd be exporting a small section anyway so I don't see this as a nuisance.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh by the way I recall leaving your live preview frame rate set to 1 FPS (Blue Iris Options > Cameras tab). You could get away with raising that back up now that the CPU usage is under control.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Learning the different colors today Fenderman, thank you for the tip.

Good point on the .mp4 files. If the power fails you could easily loose an 8hr file like you said. Or at least make it extremely cumbersome to restore.

I updated the live preview frame rate from 1fps to anywhere from 5-15 but it can't even handle 2fps without the CPU going up to 80-90%.

Something weird going on with the computer. I don't think the CPU should skyrocket if I simply double the live view FPS from 1-2fps.

Also,what is "cpu usage divisor" option on the "other" page of BI settings? I can't find any info via google.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Learning the different colors today Fenderman, thank you for the tip.

Good point on the .mp4 files. If the power fails you could easily loose an 8hr file like you said. Or at least make it extremely cumbersome to restore.

I updated the live preview frame rate from 1fps to anywhere from 5-15 but it can't even handle 2fps without the CPU going up to 80-90%.

Something weird going on with the computer. I don't think the CPU should skyrocket if I simply double the live view FPS from 1-2fps.
That makes sense because TeamViewer is struggling to keep up with the changes...try adjust the TeamViewer quality settings..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
"Cpu usage divisor" is explained in the Blue Iris help file I believe (most aspects of Blue Iris configuration are in there, actually). What it does is it divides your CPU usage reading by the number you chose. It is cosmetic only. Apparently a long time ago the CPU usage readout was wildly inaccurate on some systems (likely two-socket servers?) and this was the fix that was provided. These days, you just leave that setting set to "1".

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
PMd you.

Ebay listing said: "Dell Optiplex 3040 SFF - i7-6700 Quad - 8GB RAM - 128GB SSD- Win 10 PRO"

Don't know where to check in the windows menus for actual stats.
Right click the windows start button, go up to where it says System and left click it. Then a window pops up where it tells you basic information about your computer. It will tell you what processor you have and how much installed memory RAM.

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a dell optiplex with an Intel i74790 12GB ram- Running blue iris, 4 dahua IPC-HDW4431C-A turrets and a dahua DH-SD29204S-GN ptz, all of them at 15fps and direct to disk. Not running as a windows service, Live preview rate at 10fps, Intel HD hardware acceleration Yes(h264)
Right now my CPU is 12% Ram 1.92

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a dell optiplex with an Intel i74790 12GB ram- Running blue iris, 4 dahua IPC-HDW4431C-A turrets and a dahua DH-SD29204S-GN ptz, all of them at 15fps and direct to disk. Not running as a windows service, Live preview rate at 10fps, Intel HD hardware acceleration Yes(h264)
Right now my CPU is 12% Ram 1.92
Well what I am doing wrong? I have 6x 3.7mp cameras at 15fps direct to disc, 1x 4mp at 25fps direct to disk, h264, live preview 1fps, 8gn RAM, Dell i7, Running BI as a service on Windows 10. Audio on all cameras, and motion detect on 6 out of 7 cams.

= CPU 58% according to BI IOS app while using iOS app and a loss of fps due CPU getting worked hard I believe

CPU 49-89% while using TeamViewer and App open

Can we share settings somehow or can you compare what I have to yours?

Attachments

Last edited: