UPDATE FIXED - BI5 issues after power outage and Windows 10 update,

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone, been running BI-5 and four Dahua/Andy Cams recording 24/7 for close to a year, isolated on a separate NIC. PC has plenty of CPU (Ryzen2700) /RAM (16GB) horse power, never an issue.

I am updating my original post below as I have discovered additional information. After a multi hour power outage and Win 10 update pushed out last night (not sure what caused the issue) my BI5 and 4 Dahua cameras are out of whack.

When I watch live view, you can see the time freeze for anywhere from a few seconds to 10-15 seconds and then jump back live. Playback is the same, a few consecutive seconds, then jumps 2, 3, 10, 20 seconds. Of course the recordings are completely out of whack, cars appear, disappear, etc. Also get the orange clock icon on UI3 streams and message says H264 settings may be the culprit.

Thinking I may have a time sync problem. The time on the cam is off about 5 minutes compared to the server. The cams are isolated on a dual NIC so they do not talk to the Internet.

Is the NetTime tool the answer to this issue?

Prior to today; the system has been rock solid and issue free for almost a full year.

Not running as a service, running on a dedicated hand built WIN 10 machine with clean W10 install one year ago. Running 5.3.5.1x64 (always has worked so never updated). CPU always 8 - 10% w/4 cams 24/7. RAM around 3GB usage. BI sits on a M2 NVMe dedicated 500GB drive that only houses WIN10 and BI, recording to WD Purple 4TB.

Always (daily) review activity alerts with UI-3, never had an issue before today.

Double whammy, Windows 10 updated last night and then I got hit with a four hour power outage this A.M. so I am not sure where the problem lies. I am thinking something reset to factory defaults???

When I play back alerts on UI-3 it is all fouled up, for example, UPS just delivered a package, truck suddenly shows up in front of house when it normally shows a 100 foot smooth approach, same with delivery guy, 60 foot walk up driveway, misses him entirely.

Looking at UI3 settings I am pretty confident I see the issue, just not sure of the fix?

Again, been using this daily for a year with no issues, no setting changes, no new cameras, no BI update, no different anything outside of the Windows 10 update (home version so forced/can't opt out) and the power outage I mentioned.

Any assistance would be great!

One or two feet per second, yea, that is no good.

CaptureFPS.PNG

Possibly the H264 setting???

CaptureH264.PNG

Last edited:

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Going to bump my own thread with an update and hopefully some weekend views and thoughts.

Trouble Shooting performed;

Rebooted the whole system;

Rebooted and installed the latest stable BI5 update;

Eliminated one of my two poe switches, I outgrew my original switch which is why I have two;

Only running two Dahua 5442 presently (took two cams off-line);

Installed NetTime and successfully synced one of the 5442, the other is off two minutes.

The one synced 5442 seems to be working properly, the one that is off by two minutes is still freezing lagging.

Logically, the time sync seems to be the problem but this is where I am thrown, the cams have been working out of sync for close to a year with no issues*. Syncing them correctly has been on my too do list for a while.

*One change I made was adding the dual NIC to isolate cams several weeks ago after the recently discovered Dahua flaws posted on the forum here. Recognizing my cams no longer have Internet access on the dual NIC might be the reason they were working previously even though the time was off.

Hopefully I will get some feedback, I have been unable to find out why my second Dahua does not sync, I have looked at the GUI Cam settings repeatedly and have not spotted a confiq difference between the synced one.

The Nettime debug log only shows the one syncing.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What are the two internal IP address on the BI computer?
What are the IP address of each camera ?

What are the IP address and port of the NTP server settings on each camera?

Are both cameras hardwired to a POE switch ?

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are the two internal IP address on the BI computer?
What are the IP address of each camera ?

Are both cameras hardwired to a POE switch ?
I think I discovered my problem, while looking up my IP addresses, I noticed my Realtek GBe PCIe Controller is running at 10Mbps (transmit and receive), The two lights on the back of the PCI card for 100 and 1000 are also NOT lit, they usually are. MY "other" Internet enabled network is running at 1000. I downloaded the latest driver, rebooted more than once, no luck, changed cables X2 no luck, accessed the MB Bios to see if there was a setting and it is optimized (Auto).

Edited__________________

XXXXXX Edited UDP 123 (again the NetTime debug log shows one cam (.35) syncs every 10 minutes (as set). Windows firewall rule established allowing port 123. I followed the guide on this site linked below.

Are both cameras hardwired to a POE switch ? Yes

NO WIFI on any cam

Followed this guide on NetTime;

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the video is jumping and the time is jumping, and net time is not updating, I think that this is a network problem.

1) take the camera down and plug it into the POE switch with a short pre made store bought cable. Test it there.
2) try a different POE port.

3) a network diagram with IP address would help.
4) screen shot of the blue iris status camera tab.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I am going to keep at it and see what I can figure out.

It is odd that all this chaos started the day after 1) Windows 10 pushed out an update, and 2) got a power outage whammy, literally, boom out, for a few hours.

I do have an extra POE switch as well as a single injector, plenty of monoprice pre-made cables at various lengths laying around.

I did try a firmware (driver update) rollback with my second LAN card, no change, back updated, still no change.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Mighta smoked your realtek with power outage. It happens.
Or a windows driver update to it, or a related piece of hardware.
Look at update history and poke around to see what other things received an update?

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For anyone still following this debacle thread, here is an update;

Issue one: if you recall I synced one Dahua 5442 with NetTime and it works perfectly. I have a second one that will not sync, I have compared the two cameras and everything is the same (likely the firmware is different I have not checked). I decided to bring Cam 3 on-line a Dahua 2MP Varifocal, comes on-line syncs with NetTime perfectly, :wtf: emoji related to the cam that will not sync.

Now, on to the real problem, freezing frames, lagging frames and my 10 MPBS NIC Card. I have read on-line and there is literally a hundred threads on Realtec 10/100/1000 cards stuck at 10 or 100, all the usual fixes have been tried, no luck, going to buy a new NIC as they are cheap.

Here is the interesting update, with two Dahua 5442 running/recording 24/7 both cams have been stable with no noticed freezing or lagging the past 24 hours. When I brought Cam 3 on-line I immediately noticed freezing and lagging. I thought problem solved, 10 MPBS just won't support this much bandwidth.

I took Cam 3 off-line, now the two Dahuas that were working the past 24 hours are freezing and lagging. Rebooted BI, shut down rebooted PC, no change.

Going to order a NIC card.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
UPDATE FIXED*

*Lagging, freezing, FPS, has been fixed, I still have one cam that will still not sync with NetTime which is a minor issue compared to the 10MPBS speed and the lagging, freezing, 2-3 FPS unusable BI video.

The problem & fix; bad POE Switch, details below for those interested.

I spent a few hours trouble shooting trying different things, especially looking at the drivers and Windows update logs. It seemed the NIC Driver might be an issue even though it showed installed and working, was also getting a weird message indicating a possible glitch.

When I hooked up my isolated NIC card to the Internet the first thing I noticed was the 1000 light lit, reupdated the driver using a fix feature, etc, save, reboot, etc, etc still when back hooked up my speed dropped to 10 MBPS.

Hooked up one camera using a single poe injector and noticed I had 100 MPBS.

Isolated the problem by using a spare ZYXEL POE switch, 4 cams recording hit 1000 speed, with no freezing, and no lagging!

The bad switch POE switch; I am reasonably sure I bought it from Newegg, will have to see if I can maybe exchange/warranty, who knows.

Thanks to all who stepped in and offered help.

Still open to NetTime suggestions on one camera:confused: that won't sync, as a reminder, 2 of 3 have synced with NetTime LAN Server.

Final edit, NetTime worked and my problem camera synced up today.

Last edited: