Updating old system for family buisness

Reaction score
Hello,

we are running and old system about 10-15 years old, looking into a IP camera system. I have been doing a lot of research and seems like this system would be the best for our company. Looking for some recommendations for systems not sure on a budget but the more options i have the better. Currently im looking at a Lorex system that i picked out my own cameras. looking for something to handle 32 channels, outdoor, varifocal cameras, night vision, HD quality, good quality as well. Thank you all in advance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

we are running and old system about 10-15 years old, looking into a IP camera system. I have been doing a lot of research and seems like this system would be the best for our company. Looking for some recommendations for systems not sure on a budget but the more options i have the better. Currently im looking at a Lorex system that i picked out my own cameras. looking for something to handle 32 channels, outdoor, varifocal cameras, night vision, HD quality, good quality as well. Thank you all in advance.
Welcome @Keith Reynolds

Do take some time to figure out the better options, and do check out the cliff notes.

re: Lorex - they're now owned by Dahua. I find their normal pricing and individual NVR and camera prices are typically rather high compared to other vendors. Sometimes they have deals for kits ( typically around BF-cyberweek, I also like to check and see what deals Montavue has during that time period ), and you can find other vendors also selling Dahua OEM NVRs and cameras.

Remember to check with Andy ( EmpireTecAndy ) for a comparison with the kit you're looking at from Lorex. Also check the threads on Lorex and the comparisons between Lorex Dahua OEM cameras / NVRs and Dahua OEM international models. ( big difference is often the IVS features that Lorex strips out... ).

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lorex just remarkets other manufacturers cameras and equipment.

:welcome:
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the info, i feel if i was not suggested this site before purchasing the equipment i would have spent well over $5k from lerox LOL. You both give me some things to think about know, thank you again

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the info, i feel if i was not suggested this site before purchasing the equipment i would have spent well over $5k from lerox LOL. You both give me some things to think about know, thank you again
Thanks @Keith Reynolds

BTW - just noticed that Montavue will have a larger kit come to Newegg Flash
32 Channel Premium Security System w/ 12 4k Motorized Bullet Cameras and 12
https://flash.newegg.com/search?keyword=montavue

24 cameras in total.. sales starts May 21 2019 - which will be the day you see the price iirc

Montavue carries Dahua OEM international models iirc, so you can do a good bit of checking on the Dahua international website to determine which cameras those correspond to.

Looks like this is the kit that will be onsale
32 Channel Premium Security System w/ 12 4k Motorized Bullet Cameras and 12 4k Motorized Vandal Dome Cameras, 6TB HDD, 200ft Color Night Optics – MTIP8326124KBV124KDV | Montavue

Even if you decide to not buy their kit, it should give you a good idea of a price point for what is considered a sale.

Montavue iirc retains the IVS features, and those cameras are newer Dahua OEM international models iirc.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is your realistic budget?