Upgrade DSC alarm system to DIY wifi/z-wave

tuser

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a DSC Impassa (scw9057g-433) and I would like to upgrade this system to a DIY self monitoring smart system. Basically I want to keep all my DSC sensors and control everything with my smartphone (arm, disarm, receive alerts, etc). I know there are options if I want to use alarm.com... but I don't want to pay monthly fees. Does anyone have any idea if this is possible?

Thanks!
Talita

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi

I don't think that you need to change much to self monitor, you just need a good internet connection.

curmudgeon

n3wb
Reaction score
Konnected.io might be what you're looking for, if you want to do less of the work. It repurposes the wired sensors and provides a smarter, newer service. If I didn't already have an EnvisaLink, I would definitely look into this. (BTW, I don't think the EnvisaLink willl work with the Impassa, it's for the Power Series products.)

Reaction score
what does Z-Wave have to do with your DSC? Don't know much about the Impasse as I got the standard 1832 with Envisalink which talks to my Home Assistant/Home Automation via IP, not Z-wave.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Konnected.io might be what you're looking for, if you want to do less of the work. It repurposes the wired sensors and provides a smarter, newer service. If I didn't already have an EnvisaLink, I would definitely look into this. (BTW, I don't think the EnvisaLink willl work with the Impassa, it's for the Power Series products.)
This wont work with the DSC wireless devices.

silencery

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your best bet is to go with the envisalink option mentioned earlier. However as stated, you will have to check if your DSC mainboard is compatible.

The envisalink integrates with home automation systems such as home assistant or openHAB. From there, you can use your alarm sensors to trigger home automation events.

tuser

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. Unfortulately, Envisalink is not compatible with Impassa and Konnected won't work with wireless sensors. The reason I mentioned z-wave is because there are devices such as the ones provided by Alula (BAT-Connect, BAT-Wifi) that not only converts your system to self-monitoring but also enables connectivity with z-wave devices. However, you need to pay montly fees to use the Alula app...

Reaction score
I am new at the alarm stuff and learning as I go. But I believe any modern service will charge you a monthly fee. For alarm purposes that seems fair. Since impasse does not do IP or Z-Wave I do not see how you can interface with something like home assistant or openhab for alarm notifications to your smartphone.
Is it a worthwhile consideration to swap out your alarm system to a newer model so you can do Z-Wave or IP?
Again I am not familiar with your alarm system in regards to Z-Wave and your BAT terminals (battery monitor?). My 1834 has no z-wave capabilities just IP and network to talk to my home automation which I could do self monitoring but again when it comes to alarm purposes I favor more professional monitoring. I have a strong distaste for monthly fees for this or that. No likey nickel and dimed to death. Is why I have blue iris and IP cameras from dahua and not Ring cams.

Last edited:

Ffelice

n3wb
Reaction score
Just found this thread as I'm in a similar situation. What did you end up doing? Thanks