Upgrade time! Need Suggestions for better night performance.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Currently I run Blue Iris and some 720p cameras I set up some time ago.

I'm looking to upgrade my system.

I have one mounted on my garage up high, pointed at our front gate. What I need is better night performance. When cars drive down the street their headlight always kick the camera off, I'm not sure there is really anything to do about that however I'm still looking to upgrade.

Something with good night time performance and a zoom lens would be nice (I don't care if I can zoom in with blue iris, although that would be sweet) I just want something I can zoom in so I don't have to move the camera closer (dig trenches for wire etc). I can always get 2 and use one for cars and one for being zoomed.

For example this guy was scoping our house last night! I want to see the car more clearly. We have a security light on the fence that triggers usually, I think he was sitting their with his foot on the brake headlights are off.

I got spider webs :(

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll hear from quite a few people I'm sure. My experience, I started out with Foscams, changed to 4 mp Hikvisions, added cheap Longses, and then got a couple of the Dahua
IPC-HDW5231R-Z. Don't go with Foscam, Hikvision 4 mp look great during the day but might need a little additional light at night depending on your situation. I added the Dahuas and I've been very happy with them. If my 4 mp Hiks go out they will be replaced with the Dahuas. You will find an enormous thread on the Dahua model. They are great because they are good at night and being varifocal you can adjust them exactly where you need the focal length to be. I'm sure more people will chime in with their suggestions too.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You'll hear from quite a few people I'm sure. My experience, I started out with Foscams, changed to 4 mp Hikvisions, added cheap Longses, and then got a couple of the Dahua
IPC-HDW5231R-Z. Don't go with Foscam, Hikvision 4 mp look great during the day but might need a little additional light at night depending on your situation. I added the Dahuas and I've been very happy with them. If my 4 mp Hiks go out they will be replaced with the Dahuas. You will find an enormous thread on the Dahua model. They are great because they are good at night and being varifocal you can adjust them exactly where you need the focal length to be. I'm sure more people will chime in with their suggestions too.
yea, i saw there was a following for those. They are only 2mp though? I wouldn't mind spending more if there was something better, but if thats the best there is then I'll get them. The only thing is that I am more setup for a bullet camera as the current camer is mounted on a wall. Not sure if IPC-HDW5231R-Z can be mounted in such an orientation? I have only used bullet cameras in the past. If these have adjustment I need to wall mount then I just need to find a reputable place selling them :)

Is this the same thing in bullet form?
IPC-HFW8232E-Z 2MP

edit I also found this model on ebay but it's about $800.

Dahua-LPR-3MP-Starlight-WDR-IP-Camera-7-35mm-60Fps-H-265-IPC-
HFW8331E-Z5 H.265

or this one for $500
HFW8331EP-Z H.264

I think I need a new computer to view H.265 however that's what my new gopro shoots as well so I am in need of an upgrade?

edit N/M those both have the smaller sensor although they are still starlight models.

I think I want the IPC-HFW8232E-Z 2MP but maybe with more zoom? or would that be a decent zoom from the picture I posted above.

Last edited:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
From what I've seen the higher mp are worse at night unless you spend big bucks. I have 3 cams in front, one 4 mp Hik and the 2 Dahua 2 mp. I don't really see much difference in the videos personally during the day but at night the Dahuas are definitely better. I added external IR for the 4 mp Hik before I got the Dahuas and I imagine the IR from the 2 Dahuas even helped the 4 mp Hikvison. If a thief is observant he is going to see all that IR and go somewhere else hopefully.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yea, i saw there was a following for those. They are only 2mp though? I wouldn't mind spending more if there was something better, but if thats the best there is then I'll get them. The only thing is that I am more setup for a bullet camera as the current camer is mounted on a wall. Not sure if IPC-HDW5231R-Z can be mounted in such an orientation? I have only used bullet cameras in the past. If these have adjustment I need to wall mount then I just need to find a reputable place selling them :)

Is this the same thing in bullet form?
IPC-HFW8232E-Z 2MP

edit I also found this model on ebay but it's about $800.

Dahua-LPR-3MP-Starlight-WDR-IP-Camera-7-35mm-60Fps-H-265-IPC-
HFW8331E-Z5 H.265

or this one for $500
HFW8331EP-Z H.264

I think I need a new computer to view H.265 however that's what my new gopro shoots as well so I am in need of an upgrade?

edit N/M those both have the smaller sensor although they are still starlight models.

I think I want the IPC-HFW8232E-Z 2MP but maybe with more zoom? or would that be a decent zoom from the picture I posted above.
The turret can be mounted directly to the wall...you dont want bullets as you can see the spider problem you have...
as others have noted see the starlight thread....
if you want to read a plate at night your will have to dedicate a camera to only reading plates - nothing else...see lpr section of this forum.
Dont buy dahua via ebay, see the thread for contact info for empire/andy.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The turret can be mounted directly to the wall...you dont want bullets as you can see the spider problem you have...
as others have noted see the starlight thread....
if you want to read a plate at night your will have to dedicate a camera to only reading plates - nothing else...see lpr section of this forum.
Dont buy dahua via ebay, see the thread for contact info for empire/andy.
From what I read in the thread the HFW8232E-Z greatly outperformed the HDW5231R-Z?

Dahua Ultra Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW8232E-Z)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have these in my back yard and they work pretty darn good at night. You can shop around for the best price. DS-2CD2025FWD-I 4MM

They come with a numbers of different lens from 2.8mm to 12mm. I think for the price they are outstanding.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
you dont want bullets as you can see the spider problem you have...
+1 on the bullets issue. I had a couple and it got to be almost a daily routine to clear away spider webs, very rarely have I had to clean them away with turrets.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
+1 on the bullets issue. I had a couple and it got to be almost a daily routine to clear away spider webs, very rarely have I had to clean them away with turrets.
So even though the bullet greatly out performs the turret you would get the turret camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So even though the bullet greatly out performs the turret you would get the turret camera?
its not bullet vs turret..they are two different models with different sensors....unfortunately not all models are available in a turret design..

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
its not bullet vs turret..they are two different models with different sensors....unfortunately not all models are available in a turret design..
I understand that, the model I want is not available in turret form, so your suggesting to get the one available in turret form instead even though it does not have the "ultra starlight"?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand that, the model I want is not available in turret form, so your suggesting to get the one available in turret form instead even though it does not have the "ultra starlight"?
in my opinion the ultra starlight is not worth double the cost....Also depends on how often you want to be out there clearing spider webs.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The bullet version of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z is the HFW5231E-Z.

HFW = bullet
HDW = turret
1st number (5) is a price/quality level.
2nd number (2) is megapixels.

So a xxx8231 is a higher price/quality level than a xxx5231.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Justin

The Ultra Starlight I have ( HFW8232E-Z ) does out perform the turrets ( IPC-HDW5231R-Z ), and I have not had many spider issues as I run it in color mode at night

If you must have better low light performance and can afford the extra $, it is a good camera. ( also note, it has alarm i/o also and a beefier processing power )

If you are looking to keep your budget lower, the IPC-HDW5231R-Z I have perform close to the ultra model - and certainly good to have 2x the number of cameras if your budget is constrained.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just ordered
1x IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
2x IPC-HFW8232E-Z (Dad wanted to try one too).

Planning to point the zoomable one at the gate, and the HFW8232E will take over my old costco Qsee's front yard duty.

I'd love to try a turret but I think these will suit my needs better. If the HFW8232E was available as a turret it would be perfect :) I don't think turrets will zoom like the 5231E-Z12E anytime soon though.

I wish someone made a solar IR powered security light, but I guess I can setup another regular one at the end of the driveway near the gate. We live in a dark area (no street lights) so I try to avoid light pollution and pointing lights at neighbors yard. Hopefully it won't bother him if I get it setup right.

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To reduce the spider web problems, place the cover to the rear position as there: Bullet Mic Review

It helps a lot, at least I have as little spider web problems with HFW5231E-Z as with HDW5231R-Z.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just ordered
1x IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E
2x IPC-HFW8232E-Z (Dad wanted to try one too).

Planning to point the zoomable one at the gate, and the HFW8232E will take over my old costco Qsee's front yard duty.

I'd love to try a turret but I think these will suit my needs better. If the HFW8232E was available as a turret it would be perfect :) I don't think turrets will zoom like the 5231E-Z12E anytime soon though.

I wish someone made a solar IR powered security light, but I guess I can setup another regular one at the end of the driveway near the gate. We live in a dark area (no street lights) so I try to avoid light pollution and pointing lights at neighbors yard. Hopefully it won't bother him if I get it setup right.
To reduce the spider web problems, place the cover to the rear position as there: Bullet Mic Review

It helps a lot, at least I have as little spider web problems with HFW5231E-Z as with HDW5231R-Z.
Hi Justin,

Looking forward to seeing a couple of snap shots to see how well those cameras perform for you.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

old camera does not have an adjustable cover. But I will make sure to do that for the new one.

Hi Justin,

Looking forward to seeing a couple of snap shots to see how well those cameras perform for you.
My Blue Iris Server crashed (Motherboard blew) right before I got the cameras so I' driving blue iris on another desktop for now nad do not have it all setup yet. I got them installed (sorta messed up by stripping out a couple stucco anchors).

I tried to use stucco anchors instead of those big screw and plastic inserts the boxes come with, because the hole are smaller if you just use an anchor. But I managed to spin the anchors in the plaster and stucco.

I know your supposed to drill holes and push/hammer those plastic sleeves into the wall, then attach the box to the wall. But Because I had already put in 2 stucco anchors that didn't strip (in fact I think they went into the wood), I simply pushed the sleeves into the holes that were stripped then screwed in the screws. Not sure how bad that is but it seems to be holding fine so I'll probably just leave it alone.

2018-02-07_05-10-47 by glamisduner, on Flickr

2018-02-07_05-09-23 by glamisduner, on Flickr

New camera is allot better than the old one, it is replacing. I still don't understand how to hookup that amazon microphone? Does it require a 120v to 12v power brick or something? Seems counter intuitive for a POE camera. I'm running the darn demo blue iris because the server is still broken but it already is a noticable improvement. WDR makes the picture looks strange so I instead enabled SSE.

Also there is notch on the base of the camera for the cable, I feel like I should plus this with something to make it more water resistant, but it would probably be where I run the mic cable out of if I can figure out how to install a microphone (no idea so far).

One last thing, should I be able to spin the arm the camera is attached to? on my old cameras I could spin this arm to get more adjustment but it did not seem to want to rotate on this one?

Last edited: