Upgrading firmware on Starlight SD49225T-HN PTZ Camera?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I am looking for advice on performing firmware upgrades; i had taken a look at the PTZ camera's data sheet (SD49225T-HN | Dahua Technology) and became intrigued with the other options available, such as face recognition and IVS. Heatmap is shown in the datasheet, but my software doesn't list it as an option.

Looking at the Life Statistics, it has been 407 days since it was installed. The firmware shows these values:

Software version: 2.422.0000.0.R.2510.Build Date: 2016-09-21
WEB Version: 3.2.1.379855
ONVIF Version: 2.4.2
PTZ Version: 3.02.20.RHNZ

The datasheet has links for the downloads; one for NTSC and the other for PAL. My camera only has PAL, so I downloaded that version.

I see the System/Upgrade page on the camera for browse and upgrade. The user manual is pretty vague. What are the actual steps needed? Close down Blue Iris, certainly, but with two upgrades (software and PTZ) is there any special order, or steps? Would really like to avoid bricking this camera from my click-happiness!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Long into the camera with your browser. Apply the PAL firmware update first, then apply the PTZ update...although some say order doesn’t matter. After applying both updates factory default the camera and reconfigure it.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I am running the upgrade with the large BIN file, at 31 MB. The page says "Transmitting file . . . please don't leave the page or close the browser" but it is sitting within the #2 of15 progress bars, and hasn't been moving for the past 10 minutes or so. Is this normal?

Update: It's been 30 minutes now, and there's been no apparent progress, still stuck on the 2nd progress bar. Hope this isn't a lost cause.

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do not interrupt power to the camera during the upgrade process. I’d let it sit for many hours before considering doing anything.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a followup on the firmware update. The browser wasn't moving forward on the progress bar after so many hours. I ended up closing it down and re-launching Blue Iris, and all seems well still. Am hoping the camera hadn't been damaged in the process, or if I were to ever reboot it, it would continue to work.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good news. Firmware should never be upgraded unless the update repairs an issue that causes you problems, or introduces a feature that you truly need. In other words, leave well enough alone. However, this simple rule of thumb never precluded many of us from forging ahead into the unknown.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
What intrigued me was reading the datasheet on this camera, it has a small section on heat maps, as if the latest firmware would be able to add this feature to the camera. I had thought that thermal imaging required a special thermal sensor to be present.

TJH132

n3wb
Reaction score
Long into the camera with your browser. Apply the PAL firmware update first, then apply the PTZ update...although some say order doesn’t matter. After applying both updates factory default the camera and reconfigure it.
A little late to the topic, but I wonder: Is resetting to default absolutely necessary. I ask because this camera has a pre-defined address that happens to be on another subnet. With my current router setup, I cannot simply change the subnet and login to the camera.

TJH132

n3wb
Reaction score
Good news. Firmware should never be upgraded unless the update repairs an issue that causes you problems, or introduces a feature that you truly need. In other words, leave well enough alone. However, this simple rule of thumb never precluded many of us from forging ahead into the unknown.
If the current firmware is outdated and may have security flaws, I shouldn't update to the latest? Tinycam warns me it has a known vulnerability.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot simply change the subnet and login to the camera.
But you can very easily temporarily change the PC IP address to gain access to the camera default address to alter it - or use the ConfigTool to do that.
You don't have to touch the router at all.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just a followup on the firmware update. The browser wasn't moving forward on the progress bar after so many hours. I ended up closing it down and re-launching Blue Iris, and all seems well still. Am hoping the camera hadn't been damaged in the process, or if I were to ever reboot it, it would continue to work.
I have at least 5 different Dahua models - a couple expensive PTZ's too - and I wasn't paying attention and accidentally tried "upgrading" one of my bullet cams but I was actually logged into my most expensive PTZ. Man was I sweating when I realized the IP address was my PTZ!! I can't view the PTZ in Chrome so the camera view wasn't there to tip me off. Nothing happened thankfully!! I did that again to another lesser model with no consequences either. I even tried to force a different models firmware on one of mine for the fun of it and it just kept rebooting and works fine - it didn't take the other firmware. I really check my IP addresses now when I ever upgrade firmwares but I'm not so scared of bricking after my experiences.

TJH132

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, so no ethernet connection, just WiFi.
Do you have a USB ethernet adaptor?
If not, it might be useful to have.
It's not impossible to do, just a pain. I have an old router in the closet on the subnet I need for the cam. Then I have a POE injector to power the camera. Put it all together with a bunch of ethernet cables and the chromebook and I can change the network settings on the camera. Click 'Save' and it's ready to go to the regular network.

I didn't mean to say I couldn't do it, just that I didn't WANT to do it!

TJH132

n3wb
Reaction score
I have at least 5 different Dahua models - a couple expensive PTZ's too - and I wasn't paying attention and accidentally tried "upgrading" one of my bullet cams but I was actually logged into my most expensive PTZ. Man was I sweating when I realized the IP address was my PTZ!! I can't view the PTZ in Chrome so the camera view wasn't there to tip me off. Nothing happened thankfully!! I did that again to another lesser model with no consequences either. I even tried to force a different models firmware on one of mine for the fun of it and it just kept rebooting and works fine - it didn't take the other firmware. I really check my IP addresses now when I ever upgrade firmwares but I'm not so scared of bricking after my experiences.
Good to know it's a hardy system! Maybe I'll try soon.

javierfer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, maybe someone could shed some light on my problem. I have a Dahua SD49225T-HN-S2 PTZ camera that stopped working from one day to the next, has entered a reboot loop and has returned to the factory IP 192.168.1.108 Unfortunately I can't fix it through TFTP It keeps rebooting and the connection cannot be established. I want to find the UART port of the camera but I can't find it. I've only found these single pins that seem to be the UART port but I can't get them to connect since nothing appears on the monitor when the power is connected to the camera Is there a way to activate the UART port?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone, maybe someone could shed some light on my problem. I have a Dahua SD49225T-HN-S2 PTZ camera that stopped working from one day to the next, has entered a reboot loop and has returned to the factory IP 192.168.1.108 Unfortunately I can't fix it through TFTP It keeps rebooting and the connection cannot be established. I want to find the UART port of the camera but I can't find it. I've only found these single pins that seem to be the UART port but I can't get them to connect since nothing appears on the monitor when the power is connected to the camera Is there a way to activate the UART port?
This thread might be timely

Troubleshooting Circuitry in Old SD49225T-HN PTZ Cameras