Upload Usage question

ponyboy

n3wb
Reaction score
I checked my ISP usage the other day and it showed my upload for the past 3 months to be around 600GB/month.

I only have 3 cameras running 24/7 on BI. I use teamviewer to remote into my PC at home, and view the cameras running within BI. I rarely ever use any apps to view the cameras on my cell phone.

Does running/viewing cameras within the BI software gobble up upload bandwidth? When I right click any of the 3 cameras, then go to camera properties, I see a bit rate of around 500 kB/s. Not sure if that counts against upload?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as you're viewing remotely like that you're streaming video from you VMS to the remote location. There's no way to avoid that, even if you use UI3 rather than Teamviewer.

ponyboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. For some reason I thought since im using teamviewer and im viewing a snapshot of a local machine on my home network, it wouldnt consume bandwidth. Guess that makes sense since my download is only around 100GB but my upload is around 600GB. Good to know!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. For some reason I thought since im using teamviewer and im viewing a snapshot of a local machine on my home network, it wouldnt consume bandwidth. Guess that makes sense since my download is only around 100GB but my upload is around 600GB. Good to know!
You will actually consume less bandwidth if you use the webserver. In fact you can set up a low bandwidth profile and set ui3 to inherit that profile, then switch to a higher bandwidth profile if you need more detail

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, the steams from your cameras count in the data. 500Kb/s x 3 for 30 days comes to ~500GB so 600GB total makes sense with other use on top of the cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the steams from your cameras count in the data. 500Kb/s x 3 for 30 days comes to ~500GB so 600GB total makes sense with other use on top of the cameras.
That is incorrect. That is the internal bitrate. It does not count for data usage with respect to isp. The webserver uses different bitrates depending on your settings, and the op was using TeamViewer so it's not relevant. Also note that blue iris expresses the value in bytes not bits. It would be way more than 600gb.

Last edited:

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is incorrect. That is the internal bitrate. It does not count for data usage with respect to isp. The webserver uses different bitrates depending on your settings, and the op was using TeamViewer so it's not relevant. Also note that blue iris expresses the value in bytes not bits. It would be way more than 600gb.
In a strict sense I agree with you, the camera to BI raw data so to speak is not technically what the ISP sees. But, my point was intended to be more general than that. If you're sending/pulling a stream of data from one location to the other, over the ISP connection, it counts in the ISP-side data.

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Another problem with Teamviewer, at least one I see when I use it, is that it adds about 30% to CPU utilization. UI3 doesn't seem to bother that anywhere nearly as much. Of course, using a VPN with UI3 is the only way to go. Then, the web server can be configured to minimize data use.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWIW, on three cameras two ~500kB/s and one ~300kB/s, monitoring through BI using TeamViewer like the OP indicates was/is the case, a 15 minute survey of the switch port for the computer that is the remote client suggests for a month at 24H/day it would tally up on the order of 1.6TB (for me, with my settings, etc., etc.). That would, of course, be with what is described and whatever else the computer might have been doing in the background. Shouldn't have been too much else going on though.

That's not the way I monitor but the question of data came up regarding that type of scenario, so thought I'd see what it looked like.