UPS for NVR

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am going to get a UPS for a remote NVR that I have setup that has 3 cameras and a POE switch. The NVR is a small 8 channel LTS with built in POE but not using the POE switch side. Ive used normal non sine wave ups systems in the past but do you think these newer nvrs require a sine wave ups? I know the purpose of the sine wave is to be more compatible with pc/mac that use the active pfc or whatever its called on the newer power supplies.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr

I know your the local IT guru. What do you think of APC UPS now a days, I know they used to be pretty top notch back in the day I thought. Ive been looking at the cyberpower and tripp lite units.

Last edited by a moderator:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What do you think of the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD

I may just put this on my two desktops and put the current ups I have that is an older APC on the nvr for the time being.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CyberPower is decent, APC is the brand name everyone trusts.. but they are fairly simple devices; dont overthink it too much.. its the actual batteries that are important and neither CyberPower nor APC make those.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought the CyberPower 510 watts pure sinewave for the modem-router, NVR and other low-power communication devices. I know it's overkill but at least I got room for upward scalability and sinewave for peace of mind.

Be warned though, the RJ45 protection is not rated for Cat 6. It brought down my 1.0 Gbps ethernet connection to 100 Mbps by using it. You have to get this instead https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016AIYU6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2E65I5CQT64X1 if you want to skip that protection.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have that same cable arrestor in my service entry box on the back of the house, its attached to the EMT conduit and thats bonded to a grounding rod.. before it gets inside your house is the best place for lightning protection.. its caused no problems w/my connection, infact they gave me an attenuator to install on my modem as the signal was too strong; think they expected me to have splitters or something inside.. but its a straight run from a master service box to my modem with only this in-between..

I also have an unused coupler ready inside the box incase I ever need to take the arrestor out and test its not the problem.

When I started off eons ago as a Tech for ISPs I cant tell you how many issues were resolved by removing the surge protector/backup unit from the data connection.. havent ever personally used one as a result.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember back in 2001 I installed this APC Protectnet cable arrestor between the wall and my modem. A couple of days later, three guys from our ISP came knocking at our door saying they've been getting noise feedback from the neighborhood grid that we were on and they spent hours doing house-to-house looking for the source of the 'anomaly'. They wanted to check our connection so I obliged. When they saw the arrestor, they were so glad they found the culprit they didn't waste time unscrewing it. The lead guy then told me that it wasn't necessary because my service line was double grounded -- at the junction box just outside our property and at the service entry point on the side of the house. Had they told me that before, this would have never happened and caused me a major embarrassment.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember back in 2001 I installed this APC Protectnet cable arrestor between the wall and my modem. A couple of days later, three guys from our ISP came knocking at our door saying they've been getting noise feedback from the neoghborhood grid that we were on and they spent hours doing house-to-house looking for the source of the 'anomaly'. They wanted to check our connection so I obliged. When they saw the arrestor, they were so glad they found the culprit they didn't waste time unscrewing it. The lead guy then told me that it wasn't necessary because my service line was double grounded -- at the junction box just outside our property and at the service entry point on the side of the house. Had they told me that before, this would have never happened and caused me a major embarrassment.
Grounding doesnt protect you from surges..

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Grounding doesnt protect you from surges..
Yes, it does...but it really depends on the magnitude of the surge and the quality and type of the surge arrestor being used...at least grounding mitigates it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it does...but it really depends on the magnitude of the surge...at least grounding mitigates it.

The arrestor outside the house protects it from external surges and the UPS protects from surges coming from high-amp draw equipment such as washing machines, dryers, A/C units, etc..
It does not provide surge suppression like a surge suppressor ...you still need one despite that nonsense the "techs" told you about or you risk frying your equipment.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
grounding wont protect anything from a transient voltage spike, until the damage shorts out some component internally to ground.. but then its already dead.

all the protectors in the world wont save you from a direct or even a near lightning strike.. You need $50k in buried copper around your place like a mountain top antenna.

Dolamite

n3wb
Reaction score
An oak tree in my back yard was hit by dry lightning last year. Water pipes burst, metal mesh under the stucco exploded and random electronics were fried. There was no rhyme or reason as to what was fried. Some surge protectors survived and others across the room were fried. Thankfully nobody was hurt, just a lot of property damage and an exploded oak tree.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here i use a apc smart ups 900 and that keeps the isp box, poe switch, normal switch, access point and firewall unit besides 4 cameras and nvr running for almost 1 hours 30 minutes in daytime. (With ir on 15 minute less)
when i had longer outage during daytime i switched off the camera's, nvr and access point off and could work with laptop for close to 3 hours.

so it works ok for me, and we have almost no outages here. Last time was scheduled one of 4 hours, and last emergency one was last new years eve, where area transformer blew out. It was a dark silent night :)