UPS needed: with a Phone App or Web portal via WiFi or Ethernet

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need to install three UPSes, two will be small, 450 or maybe 600VA, pretty mundane stuff for the switch closet and the router/modem area. While I'm at it, I want to add ONE larger UPS that offers a way to remotely cycle power on command.
What I do NOT want is to use any Echo/Next/Alexa device OR any local PC to control it.
The point is that I want to remotely send a command to the UPS to cycle power on its outlets; I want to do this based on communicating with the UPS either WiFi or a WiFi-BT bridge or even Ethernet using a web UI or phone app and do it independently of other devices.

The gist of this, of course, is to be able to remotely cycle power on my Blue Iris PC, to recover from whatever malady has it locked up, this time, no matter how thoroughly offline it is.
recommendations would be appreciated.

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
UPSes with ethernet are expensive.

Another option is to use 1 Raspberry Pi per ups and make the ups network connectable by installing Network UPS Tools (NUT) on the raspberry (google it).

Go with either APC or Eaton.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd go the 2nd option as well (and technically have). Just connected via usb to the raspberry pi. Of cource you'd then need to allow remote access to teh pi.....but over ssh with a private/public key and no password allowed would be ok. Just us the upsc commands and/or nut-notify for seeing the state and notifications.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tell me if there is something similar to the many IoT lamp receptacle switched outlets.... that can be operated from their own app over WiFi, without having to use a 'hub' device such as an Echo? Now, I'm probably using the wrong terminology... but I have other devices such as My Q garage door controllers and an UltraLoq deadbolt that use stand alone phone apps with no other actual 'hub' to manage them. The My Q has a dongle that plugs into the network... but the deadbolt has nothing but a BT bridge

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Tell me if there is something similar to the many IoT lamp receptacle switched outlets.... that can be operated from their own app over WiFi, without having to use a 'hub' device such as an Echo?
Tons of them...

I've not used any of them to recommend anything. Mine all are Z-wave/Zigbee and use a hub. If you're planning on plugging the UPS into one, probably want one with a higher amp rating. Bunch of other things to think about as far as features, whether and how they provide remote access, UL rated, whether the app is worth a damn, etc., etc. Many can be controlled via Echo but don't have to be.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Tons of them...

I've not used any of them to recommend anything. Mine all are Z-wave/Zigbee and use a hub. If you're planning on plugging the UPS into one, probably want one with a higher amp rating. Bunch of other things to think about as far as features, whether and how they provide remote access, UL rated, whether the app is worth a damn, etc., etc. Many can be controlled via Echo but don't have to be.
He doesnt need to plug the UPS into the plug, that actually wont work for his purpose because the ups will keep running on battery power and fail to reboot the pc. He simply needs to plug the blue iris pc into one of these plugs and plug it into the back of the ups.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do this with gosund sp111 powerplugs with esphome flashed on them, or a cutup powercord with a sonoff basic and tasmota firmware. These are on wifi and have their own webpage on which you can do a powercycle.

Especially tasmota firmware supports a lot of powerplugs etc.. And opensource, not some chinese stuff with a dodgy phone app.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I use Wyze plugs to reset things like this.

I like the APC UPS, they have a program that will notify you when the power drops, etc.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tell me if there is something similar to the many IoT lamp receptacle switched outlets.... that can be operated from their own app over WiFi, without having to use a 'hub' device such as an Echo? Now, I'm probably using the wrong terminology... but I have other devices such as My Q garage door controllers and an UltraLoq deadbolt that use stand alone phone apps with no other actual 'hub' to manage them. The My Q has a dongle that plugs into the network... but the deadbolt has nothing but a BT bridge
I've used several of these for a couple of years now, and they don't require a hub.
Control with the Tp-Link app on your phone.
TP-Link Wifi plug.
FYI: In 3 years of using BI, I"ve never had the computer lockup and require a reboot.
Turn off autoupdate in BI
And read the wiki on how to shut down windows updates.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've used several of these for a couple of years now, and they don't require a hub.
Control with the Tp-Link app on your phone.
TP-Link Wifi plug.
FYI: In 3 years of using BI, I"ve never had the computer lockup and require a reboot.
Turn off autoupdate in BI
And read the wiki on how to shut down windows updates.
Thanks, all for the links. I've ordered a a couple of the TPlink version.
As someone stated, I want to plug this widget into the ups and the PC into the widget simply so that I can have a "Hail Mary" move while I'm away and the system isn't responding.

I have been having absolute Hell with PCs ever since starting this adventure and I've worked with and modified PCs for years. I don't know why I'm so incredibly jinxed just now but I HAVE discovered that my brand new WD102purz is bad, intermittently failing. Stubbornly refusing to blame the drive has cost me a lot of hair.
A replacement will arrive today.
Multiple other issues in the last week have been related to switching to a different PC and using it before the big RAM chips arrived. Let me assure you that BI with ten cams canNOT run on 8Gigs. I upped it to 32G last night and the difference is more than substantial.
Tonight the crap drive gets replaced and I'm also migrating the C: drive to an M.2, 500.
But in the middle of all this, I still have BI software issues that all this hardware massaging won't fix; I'm going to roll back the BI to the 'last stable' build and reinstall again.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Following up, I did buy a couple of the TPLink KASA switchable plugs and I LOVE these things. Super simple install and operation. Independent of PCs or software only needs WiFi. I plugged on into the UPS, plugged the PC into the Kasa, works as intuitively and simply as could be.
Related: the reason the thread started by asking about UPSes that were controllable was simply that i was about to buy UPSes and if there were a simple feature included in one of them, that's the one I would buy. The Kasa plug is a waaaaaay better idea.

Raisy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd go the 2nd option as well (and technically have). Just connected via usb to the raspberry pi. Of cource you'd then need to allow remote access to teh pi.....but over ssh with a private/public key and no password allowed would be ok. Just us the upsc commands and/or nut-notify for seeing the state and notifications.
Very good idea