UPS PROTECTION

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A question about protecting a network from power problems. Would a UPS protect a network from power surges, lightening, generators used with power failures etc.? Can equipment connected via an Ethernet cable be protected by the use of an Ethernet surge protector? Any suggestions on protecting a network from such problems? Thanks

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tyyees, I expect you're as disappointed as I am that you haven't received a reply to your thread.
Is nobody on ipcamtalk using a UPS and able to share their experiences here?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Tyyees, I expect you're as disappointed as I am that you haven't received a reply to your thread.
Is nobody on ipcamtalk using a UPS and able to share their experiences here?
Correct, none of us are using a UPS......:smash:

A lot of us use UPS's and I personally have the a CyberPower 1500 which I've been using for 6 years without issues. I recommend it for any BI comp, NVR, router, modem, etc.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use multiple ups. On ups
Router
Bi PC
All switches.

So all cameras are on ups.

A ups will NOT protect against a near lightning hit. I have had a near lighting hit. It killed all items the house that had wires going into them, camera,.phone system, stero system, alarm system, some light bulbs. Not killed washer, dryer, refrigerator.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a couple CyberPower and agree they are a pretty good choice.

But a UPS's job is not to protect from lightening although it can help with surges. Generator question is dependent on the quality of the power coming out of the generator. THD. Smaller inverter generators tend to have cleaner power. The type of UPS you choose will also be a factor. Most that are used in home and SOHO type applications are "off-line" and won't tolerate dirty power from a generator.

These are three pretty big subjects, which could explain the lack of response here!

• Lightening protection
  • UPS selection
  • Generator considerations
But hey, I'd recommend getting a UPS!

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unless you get a true, on-line/double conversion UPS I would consider it mainly as as short-term backup power rather than any sort of protection/power conditioning. Sure, some UPS, maybe most have some built-in point of use surge protection, but read on...

For surge protection I'd look towards a whole-house type of device if possible. These install in the power meter base or in/on the main panel board. The big benefit of these is mainly two-fold; whole house surge protection, and right at the meter base or panel board typically affords the lowest impedance connection to Earth for the more effective surge protection.

Last edited:

fps66

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, new member first post. I'm a recently retired electronics tech. The commercial power where I worked in Kansas was by far dirtier than the power from our non-inverter generator. It often had several harmonics that would run our transmitter power out the top of the acceptable range if we did not pay attention. We also had the occasional 600 volt spikes of very short duration that was unknown to us other than our recording test equipment connected to monitor power quality. We did have several small inexpensive UPS as from office supply stores. You may find that many UPS may be more tolerant of non-inverter generators than we expect. I have not tested this theory, but after what I have seen for years of I'm inclined to run my house off of a non-inverter generator. Having recently moved (still moving), a recent power outage exploded my Magicjack voip device after power had been off for awhile. I found that some of my LED installed bulbs could still be switched on. I measured 25 vac on my service lines, until power was restored. I now have my tripp-lite UPS installed on my network.