[URGENT] Setup for 5 cameras : please help me plan for this!

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all I'm a total noob to all this and new to the forums, so please bear with me. The house is completely gutted so it's the perfect time to do the wiring. I need to solve this before the weekend because we will be closing walls then!
With the help of a professional I wired the whole house with Cat6, including wiring for 5 cameras (4 outside, 1 in garage). The house is a perfect 40' x 40' square and the cameras will be on each corner.

He suggested the following setup :
DVR with 4 ports to save money (8 ports are more expensive). He suggested Provision brand.
4 x cat6 cables for the 4 cameras outside running to the DVR
1 x cat6 + 1 power cable for the camera in the garage, the cat6 running to my 24-port switch (which will be used for the house network)
He says the DVR will "find the 5th camera on the network"

(see attachment for diagram)

However I'd rather use a 6 or 8 port DVR and run my 5 cables to it, to simplify things. I feel like the 5th camera in the switch would be a headache, but I could be wrong... My other option I guess is an NVR with a POE switch? I'm even contemplating a Costco kit. I'd like it to be as turnkey/simple as possible. I'm knowledgeable with computers (built my own), but I can't say I know enough about networking to set everything up on my own.

What do you guys think?
Thanks!

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a 4ch NVR w/4 Ports can only take 4 cameras even if you wire up 100 ports.. you need an 8ch NVR if you want to run 5-8 cameras period.. never heard of Provision, check out a Dahua NVR and several Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

you might consider running two wires to each corner, often having back to back cameras looking down both sides with overlap is desirable.. sounds like your going for a as few useless wide angle cameras as you can get away with.. generally gonna yield poor results.

plan on expanding.. typically you want one right next to your front door, and one or perhap two right on your driveway/garage depending on size.. then cameras on any gates to the back, and then a camera on back doors and garage side doors.. and lastly perhaps an over view camera for front and rear if you really want them wide angles.

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
So you're saying my 4-port DVR won't recognize my 5th camera even if it's on the same network? Of course I understand that 8 > 4...

The wire is already ran and it won't change. We got 1 wire to each corner and 1 wire to the garage. Each corner camera will watch one side of the house and another camera will be visible in its sight.

I understand the necessity of having more cameras in some areas, and you never know what happens. However I feel like 5 cameras are enough to be a deterrent (because, let's face it, it's one of/the main purpose) and keep an eye on what's happening.
Please don't flame me for saying this as I know it's blasphemy for many, but I was satisfied with Costco's Lorex quality until one camera died, so I returned it. I'm considering giving it a second chance, or maybe Swann or Q-See, but maybe that dead camera should have changed my mind lol.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cameras are a deterrant? lol, you'll have better luck with a fake security sign heh.. main purpose should be keep an eye on whats going on, cameras deter nobody.. a $1 bandana defeats em.

Costco's Lorex is really a Dahua system rebranded.. your better off picking the lenses you need for the area

Camera Calculator / Design Software <-- keep ppf well over 100 if you want ID

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the form. I happened to notice your [URGENT] in your FIRST post here on IP cam Talk. Just a FYI for you, I would normally skip over your request because so many people join this form, ask a few questions that have been asked a zillion times here give NO thanks and are lost and never found thereafter. Have you taken the time to read the Primers here or FAQ's on basic setups? There is a great resource guide in the new member form that I suggest you at least glance over so you understand the terminology. Now that being said, I looked at your diagram. Since you already ran cat 6 all over the place, why would you want to use a DVR? Get yourself a 8 or 16 port NVR and be done with it. If you want to keep it simple, get one that has built in POE so you do not have to get another switch. On your 5th cam just use a poe injector for power. BTW your camera choice and locations will haunt you if you do not research their capabilities and your location choice.
I can say for sure a lot of diehards here (including myself)have either moved or replaced cameras over and over because of poor locations or poor camera choices and planning. A box kit might be ok for you until something happens and you wish you had that 6 and 7 cam or one with a 12mm lens vs the stock 3mm lens. Its all in the faq.
HERE--> Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

Just so I understand, you have a DVR in your diagram. They use a coax cable and need a power supply. A kit will supply you with that but you will have to re-run their cables or you can use ip over coax baluns but will still need a power supply. That is NOT keeping it simple. If I were you, I would just get all the cat 6 run to your locations and close it in. You can do the installs after the fact. As long as you have the walls open do all home runs to a central location where your switch is. You might want to pre plan for future cams on other locations too and just do the runs now. If you get into this, you might want a PTZ only to find out you wished you did that extra run or bought that NVR that supported one. The Dahua NVR's can be had pretty reasonable and support a whole host of different cameras. Good Luck

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Indeed I confused NVR and DVR.
I understand many people here are diehards, and I'm a diehard when it comes to some things, but you can't be diehard in everything in life, unfortunately. Having said that, I really look forward to staying on the forums because I've been lurking around and I enjoy it here.
The way I understand this is I can run my cables, then when everything is finished up I purchase/build the system I want. Since cat6 is pretty universal I always have the option of returning that system and upgrading to something better.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Indeed I confused NVR and DVR.
I understand many people here are diehards, and I'm a diehard when it comes to some things, but you can't be diehard in everything in life, unfortunately. Having said that, I really look forward to staying on the forums because I've been lurking around and I enjoy it here.
The way I understand this is I can run my cables, then when everything is finished up I purchase/build the system I want. Since cat6 is pretty universal I always have the option of returning that system and upgrading to something better.
Correct

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I may add something thats often overlooked. It's better to spend a few extra bucks on an NVR with more ports than you need now, as oposed to buying a 4 port now and needing more (and you WILL want more) ports later. Trust me, sucks to buy twice. A lot of people make this mistake. Its nice to have the option to easily expand, especially since you'll already be prewired.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Run wires to your doors. A cam on a corner is more than half useless if your door is in the middle. Also run a wire to just outside your garage door for your driveway cam. Get at least an 8ch NVR, possibly 16. 8 cams isn't a lot and a few bucks now saves replacing the whole thing later.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buy once, cry once. I second buying either an 8 or 16 channel NVR. Preferably 16. It's not that much more $$.