US President Signs Bill Into Law Requiring FCC To Ban Further Authorizations of Dahua and Hikvision

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
See; Bill Signed: H.R. 3919 | The White House and Text - H.R.3919 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Secure Equipment Act of 2021

H.R. 3919, the “Secure Equipment Act of 2021,” which requires the Federal Communications Commission to adopt rules clarifying that it will no longer review or approve any authorization application for equipment that poses an unacceptable risk to national security.
Background - List of Equipment and Services Covered By Section 2 of The Secure Networks Act Lists Dahua and Hikvision

a list of communications equipment and services (Covered List) that are deemed to pose an unacceptable risk to the national security of the United States or the security and safety of United States persons

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there anything FCC will do about other Chinese cameras?
Like Shenzhen Reo-link and even Swann with RaySharp? Basically any cheap consumer camera.

Out of all brands; home style kits are more of a spy risk because home users don't have any clue to isolate them from the internet (In my opinion).

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
this one struck me as a bit of chest-thumping
I shared a factual matter that is relevant to those who buy and use video surveillance products in the US as I did not see any other posts about the US President signing this so I shared it.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I shared a factual matter that is relevant to those who buy and use video surveillance products in the US as I did not see any other posts about the US President signing this so I shared it.
Agreed. You did. And in the context of your previous limited appearance pertaining to the IPVM report on this same topic, as I said - it struck me as chest-thumping. It still does.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So let's just create a black market for these devices and the government gets no tax money LOL. Typical government practice. How did prohibition work out for the USA lol.

They might as well ban EVERYTHING not 100% conceptualized, designed, created, fabricated, manufactured, built, and sourced from 100% local products...

All of the other product lines that they haven't banned are just as capable if not worse of spying. Some cameras will not work without internet access.

Who else makes drones other than DJI with the same level of precision?

I guess we all need to get off of our tablets, phones, and laptops right now because the likelihood that EVERY component is USA is slim to none.

Last edited:

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
the likelihood that EVERY component is USA is slim to none.
The US government has been fairly clear this is a PRC China issue. The US has raised no concerns about Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, the EU, etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
China Holds over $1 Trillion in U.S. Debt..how much more will it grow under the Biden Build Back Better plan?

And let's ban every product out of China to royally tick them off forcing them to call the loan and next thing you know we are all speaking Chinese...or we give even greater concessions...

We really don't have a leg to stand on in this fight if you keep pushing it...

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Can I ask your reasoning behind this?

I've got Axis cameras, made in Sweden. I still block them from the internet as if their software cannot be trusted. It's common sense in networking security.
As john said several times you dont need to block them. He likes his data exposed in the internet, so there should be no problem for rest of the world.

Axis is not made in sweden, they are made in china. they might be assembled in other countries since 2017, but many chips and parts are made in china. this is what john dont tell you.

He loves china hate threads, so he open another one to "inform" the uninformed.