US taking aim at Hikvision/Dahua?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
No it's not good. Wouldn't surprise me though.

Funny thing is they've been aiming suspicions / allegations at Huwaei for it's internet gear whilst probably every top secret lab / government building / bunker /Area 51 etc in the country is being watched by Chinese cameras.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Intel is used in Hikvision and Dahua NVRs and certain smart cameras.

Hikvision also uses Nvidia in some of their 'deep in mind' NVRs as well as higher end AI cameras I believe.

Feature article - Deepening the value of surveillance-Hikvision

"Hikvision is partnering with the largest of the chipset brands – Intel and nVidia – to explore the possibilities of Deep Learning for the surveillance industry."

Alibaba, Huawei Adopt NVIDIA’s Metropolis AI Smart Cities Platform | NVIDIA Blog

Dahua demonstrated at a recent G20 Summit how it used GPU-based deep learning to do real-time face recognition, enabling security teams to extend their capabilities and effectively take on the work of 100+ personnel.

“We’re working with NVIDIA to bring AI to our next-generation of deep learning products,” said Xingming Zhang, vice president of Dahua R&D Center. “Dahua’s DeepSense advanced, high-capacity video analytics server delivers a powerful, scalable method of extracting rich metadata and processing structural data. This delivers fast and accurate analytics for vehicles, non-motorized vehicles and human identification.”

Last edited:

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good thing I ordered 4 x IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE last week and 4 x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE / 1 x IPC-HFW2831T-ZS last night!
Is IPC a new company? Seems to look a lot like Hikvision for some reason!

Reaction score
for my orders, they are Duhua. Can't say I know why they are named IPC. I'm sure someone could explain :) I just run with it. Maybe, International Product Code!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No it's not good. Wouldn't surprise me though.

Funny thing is they've been aiming suspicions / allegations at Huwaei for it's internet gear whilst probably every top secret lab / government building / bunker /Area 51 etc in the country is being watched by Chinese cameras.
Its great the cheating and theft must stop. China cams are not watching secret facilities.
There is good reason to suspect huwaei.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think IPC is part of the model number and means the camera uses IP. Models that start with HAC mean the camera uses HDCVI. At least that's how Dahua seems to use those prefixes.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wonder what US tech gets used in Hik/Dahua cameras?
Hi aristobrat,

Certainly numerous open source packages by US based companies which have contributed to linux.

imho under the GPL Hikvision and Dahua should be providing access to at least some of the source code.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for my orders, they are Duhua. Can't say I know why they are named IPC. I'm sure someone could explain :) I just run with it. Maybe, International Product Code!
IPC = IP camera ( imho )

Their CVI cameras have a different code

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, thought you meant the IP Cam Talk cameras. IPCT I guess! Are those rebadged Hiks or Dahua's ... or?

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
So... I think my question is if Hik/Dahua get blacklisted is there any manufacturer out there y’all would stand behind?
I’ve been installing Hik IP cameras for probably 10 years. I’ve sampled other makes, but never found anyone I liked in the same price bracket. Axis is great, but my customers would laugh me out the door if I tried to sell them cameras at $499/each.

Any thoughts?

Btw, here’s the email I got from Hik this morning in response to the NYT article:
Dear Valued Partner:

The New York Times reported on May 21 that the U.S. Government is considering limiting Hikvision’s ability to purchase American technology as a tactic in the current trade war with China.

The article quotes anonymous sources and as of May 22, there has been no public statement from The White House, nor official confirmation of the report from Administration officials. The story includes no definitive time frame, saying that Trump administration officials “could make a final decision in coming weeks.”

We want to assure you that we are aware of The New York Times report and have provided the below response, which has since been included in the article:

“Hikvision takes these concerns very seriously and has engaged with the U.S. government regarding all of this since last October. In light of them, it has already retained human rights expert and former U.S. Ambassador Pierre-Richard Prosper to advise the company regarding human rights compliance. Separately, Hikvision takes cybersecurity very seriously as a company and follows all applicable laws and regulations in the United States and other countries, regions and jurisdictions we operate.”

The article also includes a reference to the company’s Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) Report that was published in April 2019, stating:

“In a letter published in English in April, Hikvision’s chief compliance officer said that the company was taking reports that video surveillance products had been involved in human rights violations seriously and had commissioned an internal review of its operations to enhance screening standards to better protect human rights. ‘We are taking a hard look at our products and business,’ the officer, Huang Fanghong, wrote.”

Further, we are also actively seeking further information from government officials, where we will continue to be transparent with our communications. Hikvision will continue to closely monitor developments related to this report, and we will keep you apprised as more concrete information becomes available.

Thank you once again for your partnership and continued support of Hikvision and our employees. We remain fully focused on providing quality service to our valued partners while delivering business excellence and safeguarding our communities. Meanwhile, we will continue to vigorously defend ourselves and the interests of our partners and their customers.

If you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to reach out to your local Hikvision representative or me directly.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey He
Vice President
Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology, Ltd

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good thing I ordered 4 x IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE last week and 4 x IPC-HDW5231R-ZE / 1 x IPC-HFW2831T-ZS last night!
Nice. I will follow your build. Where did you get them all.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, sorry, thought you meant the IP Cam Talk cameras. IPCT I guess! Are those rebadged Hiks or Dahua's ... or?
Hi @pbc,

iirc those are Hikvision OEM products. There should be some discussion here on the forum which OEM models correspond to them.

So... I think my question is if Hik/Dahua get blacklisted is there any manufacturer out there y’all would stand behind?
I’ve been installing Hik IP cameras for probably 10 years. I’ve sampled other makes, but never found anyone I liked in the same price bracket. Axis is great, but my customers would laugh me out the door if I tried to sell them cameras at $499/each.

Any thoughts?

Btw, here’s the email I got from Hik this morning in response to the NYT article:
Hi @keltorsori

If you're a small time end user I would not worry about the Trade War headlines.

US companies helped China become the goto global industrial leader it is today. With the industrious Chinese, Chinese community party embracing select aspects of capitalism ( while retaining the authoritarian principles ), and the global transfer of manufactoring know how, IP, and work to China it is now able to produce a tremendous amount of products very cost effectively.

I do not see any near term replacement in terms of value for the Hikvision and Dahua OEM cameras we are picking up.

Perhaps Sony or Samsung could setup shops in other countries to compete. It is really a question of how stable and potentially profitable such a shift could be.

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
U.S. blacklists eight chinese tech companies on right violations.
Including Hikvision and Dahua.

The companies include two video surveillance companies -- Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. and Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co. -- that by some accounts control as much as a third of the global market for video surveillance and have cameras all over the world.

Curious if/how andy's business is affected by this? Also very sad for the us market.
The other brands available are not as good as Dahua or hikvision. And they are much more expensive... I live in Europe, so no problem here. Still very happy with my products from andy.

Wish you al the best in business!

@EMPIRETECANDY

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. This isn't good. I hope Empire Andy can give us an update ASAP.
See link below for one of many news articles:
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I first thought the US Government is blocking these companies from exporting product to the US.
Now I'm thinking this "entity list" means that US companies cannot do business with these blacklisted companies unless they receive a special permit. So as mentioned by another forumite above, if Intel is a supplier to Dahua, then they can no longer export components to them. Dahua is still free to export product to the US and can do so until they run out of parts I guess. This is leaving out any tariffs that may have been imposed or ratcheted up.

Last edited: