USB Webcams for surveillance?

Resto-cam

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd like to set up surveillance in a restaurant and would like any opinions on USB Webcams for surveillance. These would be indoor cams, focused on the cash registers to prevent theft, and a couple viewing the food prep area for quality control. I also plan to use a couple IR outdoor cams for standard surveillance. Maybe six - 2 mp cams on an i5-4570 with 8 gig ram. I was thinking Logitech HD Webcam C310's for the inside surveillance. I was considering these type cameras just because of the cost savings, but if there's a compelling reason to choose otherwise, I'll do so. Thoughts?

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cahiatt

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm actually using two of the C310's with Blue Iris and so far they have been working pretty good. It has only been a week since I connected them but I've not had any disconnects or issues yet. I just wanted an extra view of the back yard to check on the kids when I travel. I had a pair of these lying around and plugged them into my Blue Iris box and stuck them in the window.

My house isn't large and was almost wondering about adding more and using a powered USB hub somewhere central to the cameras to keep USB runs under 40'.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion you're wasting your time with USB. There are many superb 2mp and/or 3mp cameras available with both IR and POE available for $90.00 and less each that it doesn't make a lot of sense to futz around with USB.