Using a 2032 "sideways" can I remove or rotate hood?

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed a 2032 for my front door and utilizing it sideways, so I have a long view of my walk path. However it looks sort of funny being sideways with the body of camera being sideways. Especially the hood...

is there a way to rotate that stuff, or do I just have to live with a camera sideways? I will probably do the same with my garage driveway camera too.

I don't mind it too much, but I think it just looks little goofy...

any suggestions?

ps. don't mind the cables, they are temporary until I hide them today. I put it up like that just to get it to turn on for setting up :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You cannot move it..have you tried turning it straight and running in 3mp mode to give you more vertical height?

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You cannot move it..have you tried turning it straight and running in 3mp mode to give you more vertical height?
I did. nothing compared to this setup though. It just looks so silly :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The real problem is that the camera is mounted way to high...you wont get a good face shot...if you mount it lower it will solve all your problems and you could mount it right side up....the turret would probably be best if you wanted that specific orientation though...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Might look less silly if you rotate it 180 degrees from how you have it pictured, so you see its top from that angle.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
was not a fan of the hik's for that reason with the non remove-able hood. You can take off the hood on the dahuas for future reference. since you have it under the eave it will be ok, but consider the base where the cable comes out as an area for moisture to accumulate and get trapped. I try to mount those downward so that moisture can drain or silicon/seal it altogether.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: Using a 2032 "sideways" can I remove or rotate hood?

The real problem is that the camera is mounted way to high...you wont get a good face shot...if you mount it lower it will solve all your problems and you could mount it right side up....the turret would probably be best if you wanted that specific orientation though...
I didn't want it that low where it's face height. I do know what you mean though. I have another camera inside where if the door opens, I will have a much better face shot.

I just think that if it was face height, someone would just try to push it out of the way much easier.

- - - Updated - - -

Might look less silly if you rotate it 180 degrees from how you have it pictured, so you see its top from that angle.
Yeah I might do that as well. that might help

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
was not a fan of the hik's for that reason with the non remove-able hood. You can take off the hood on the dahuas for future reference. since you have it under the eave it will be ok, but consider the base where the cable comes out as an area for moisture to accumulate and get trapped. I try to mount those downward so that moisture can drain or silicon/seal it altogether.
interesting. Good to know. I will use that method for the garage one I'm installing.

I wish it was removable like dahua then. I never really used their cameras.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you can do it. Take the camera apart by removing the 3 screws in the back. When you open it up to 2 halves, You can remove the 3 screws holding the bracket that holds the front of the camera in place. Then turn this 90 degrees and it should stay in place without putting the screws back. I think it's possible, don't remember if there's grooves that prevent this and may need some dremel work. The easier thing to do that won't look goofy is to get a dome (3-axis) or even an eyeball camera.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think in most applications the hik's molded hood is not an issue, but if you want to get creative with mounting locations that are more discrete, or embedded in walls/housings etc., the dahua with its uniform 2.5" outer diameter housing size is a better option given you can buy a holesaw in that size to slide it into custom housings. The hood on the dahuas is attached with a screw and an embedded threaded insert at the top of the housing. You can go to home depot and get an L bracket and re-use the threaded insert and screw to mount the L bracket enabling you to hide the camera flush behind a wall or housing which is another plus. With the other hooded units that are not cylindrical you would not be able to create a tight fitting sealed hole unless you cut it out with a jig saw or something. I've built some custom housings and so its became a bigger issue for me when choosing which models to buy. The hood on the Dahuas can slide slightly forward or backward with its design as well assuming you need it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A dahua would not help in this instance because OP is using the 2mp mode to get a wide angle view but using the wide angle vertically....the dahua would not give him the vertical height he needs...best option is a turret.

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the hood thing is not a big deal, and i wasn't recommending changing to one just for this side problem. This is purely aesthetics, the eve is probably doing as much protection from sun glare as the hood in this case even if the hood was mounted correctly. I have a camera doing the same thing with the hood hanging vertically under an eve, its a non issue unless it bugs you aesthetically. But why exactly couldn't a dahua be put in 16:9 aspect 1080p aka 2mp to do the same thing as the Hikvision vs 4:3 supported at 3MP?? If the hik's are anything like the dahuas, running the 3mp cameras in 2mp crops the sensor's overall image and view to achieve the 16:9 aspect ratio of 1080p. So his image is likely being cropped at 2mp actually giving him less complete view of the area. But it does satisfy the wide angle vertical look he may want on his phone for viewing that takes up the whole screen. Am I missing something about the HIK's? I agree though that a turret would have been a better choice for this particular location. A turret would be less of an eye sore and be less of a target enabling it to be closer to eye level and the turret housings are easier to mask off and paint to match the siding of a home.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The dahuas and the hiks do not crop the image in the same way. When you put a hik in 2mp mode it you actualy see more horizontal FOV.That is why i run them in 2mp.. When you put a dahua in 2mp mode you lose vertical but the horizontal stays the same...In my testing, a 4mm hikvision in 2mp mode has the same horizontal field of view as a 2.8mm Dahua turret 4300c in 2 or 2mp mode..... So when you compare a 4mm hikvision and a 3.6mm dahua, the hikvision will have a greater horizontal view (in 2mp at least)...the op is using the horizontal view as his vertical...

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is interesting with the bullets then. My hik 2132 turret crops both vertical and horizontal FOV going from 3mp to 2mp, same as my dahua 3mp bullets. I don't have any hik bullets so wasn't aware of that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is strange because the sensor should be the same....the 2532 mini domes act the same way...are you certain you dont gain horizontal fov going to 2mp?

Lebeter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I need some sleep, I ran the test remotely again and was able to confirm your findings. It does crop vertical fov and increases horizontal fov in 1080p. I think between switching back and forth so many times in the 1st test i lost track of which resolution I was looking at ;) Sorry about the confusion.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Grab a grinder - grind it off. For a few bucks i'm sure a local machine shop could do it and keep it pretty!

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Certainly looks goofy to me. No way I could live with that or would be accepted in the family.

Personally, I'd go with a dome mounted a bit lower, right side up and live with the normal view. I don't see the bird's eye view as being all that practical. Yes, you're concentrating all the pixels on the walkway and the two parking spots, but it is like people taking a video with their iPhone vertically.

Save that ... internal mod and/or taking the top off, protecting the glass and grinding it down.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you turn it and then flip the image on the camera to make it right side up