Using a UPS with Surveillance System, is it recommended?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I stumbled upon a deal for an APC UPS for $50. I never thought about it 'till now, but is it usually recommended to use one in conjunction with a surveillance system? I'd figure if I need to do that occasional electrical work around the premises, a receptacle or two may be need to be temporarily switched off thus resulting in loss of power.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would use a UPS for my whole house if I could. Definitely would recommend for your surveillance system. I would also make sure that includes your network gear and router etc.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Just depends on if you want it to keep running if power goes out

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The last outage that affected many here was in 2003. However, suppose I need to do electrical work and it requires power to temporarily go down, its probably worth keeping the surveillance system running. Otherwise, I'd need to periodically check the static IP's.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
electronics, espically HDD's tend to live much longer when adequately protected from brownouts.. plus killing power to disable security/cameras is a known tactic, there's also the asshats whom see opportunity in during wide outages from natural distasters and the likes..

For example @hmjgriffon will want a UPS and a camera looking at the generator during the next big hurricane, otherwise cameras will cut out once they unplug it ;)

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yep. UPS on NVR and on PoE switch gear to cameras.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
That's another thing, our power if fed through via underground, as well as our meters are tucked within the premises, nothing exposed outside. Another aspect of UPS's is that in the event of power outage, we're only talking about 20 minutes up to an hour of backup power, until that goes offline as well.

Its great to consider every possible variable. Would a UPS still be feasible here?

electronics, espically HDD's tend to live much longer when adequately protected from brownouts.. plus killing power to disable security/cameras is a known tactic, there's also the asshats whom see opportunity in during wide outages from natural distasters and the likes..

For example @hmjgriffon will want a UPS and a camera looking at the generator during the next big hurricane, otherwise cameras will cut out once they unplug it ;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's another thing, our power if fed through via underground, as well as our meters are tucked within the premises, nothing exposed outside. Another aspect of UPS's is that in the event of power outage, we're only talking about 20 minutes up to an hour of backup power, until that goes offline as well.

Its great to consider every possible variable. Would a UPS still be feasible here?
Your 50 dollar ups will not provide 20 minuets of uptime...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hrmm, there's always a way to kill power externally or else the firefighters will just let your house burn down.. there's likely a small substation nearby with kill switches you just dont know about.

Ive also read reports of em shooting transformers nearby and waiting for em to burn out..

main reason if anything else is electrical protection for the cameras/recorder/data

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You're right, lol
2 minutes (420 Watts) at Full Load
11 minutes (210 Watts) at Half Load

Now what? :(
Is there a better alternative?

Your 50 dollar ups will not provide 20 minuets of uptime...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
first you need to determine how much wattage your system currently requires, then you can calculate runtimes w/UPS.. If your only using 50W or so, you could get 20mins out of that..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right, lol
2 minutes (420 Watts) at Full Load
11 minutes (210 Watts) at Half Load

Now what? :(
Is there a better alternative?
If you plug only your cams and nvr/switches you should be able to do it...take the ratings with a grain of salt...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
19" (Dell P190S) monitor already draws somewhere around 50 watts according to spec sheet, in addition to that an NVR with built in POE. Probably meets the specification of 11 minutes runtime (+ / -)

first you need to determine how much wattage your system currently requires, then you can calculate runtimes w/UPS

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
19" monitor already draws somewhere around 50 watts according to spec sheet, in addition to that an NVR with built in POE. Probably meets the specification of 11 minutes runtime (+ / -)
You dont need to plug the monitor into the ups:)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Hahaha, the last hurricane I was sitting here on the couch with two handguns in the table with spare mags, there won't be no looting this house lol, I'll go down with the ship. That said I've got to ups's, but the BI machine isn't currently oh one, but POE is, I'm planning to re arrange some things, everything I care about electronics wise runs through an online UPS.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Every self respecting nerd should have one of these in the tool bag: P3 P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor - Low Temperature Alarms - Amazon.com

Power Ratings and Actual Use are 2 different things.. max power consumption for most devices is at startup and the normal idle usage is much less once energy efficiency routines get activated (sleeping inactive disks for example)
Love mine, have not connected my current BI machine to it yet to see what it draws

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.