using blue iris to connect remotely located IP cameras..

Ash

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have installed IP cameras at my business. I want to install blue iris at home in a home PC and want to run it remotely? Can I install blue iris at a remote location and monitor cameras with the same functionality?

Anyone with steps to help me do this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Ash At your business, what is the internet upload speed? (I assume your business and your home is not in same building but separated by miles?)

Why do I ask? Each camera will need to stream video feed to BI, and depending on # of cameras, mexapixels and bitrate, that upload speed will not be sufficient.

Because of this, you should install BI server at your business and put it on the same switch so all that video feeds will be local to the switch.

If you need to access BI from home, you can do it using BI web UI (or try UI3 from @bp2008 - really good!). You can also make an RDP connection from your home to your business to remotely control BI server - but please do this via a VPN connection.

Last edited:

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Connectivity aside, that will consume a lot of bandwidth. Are you OK with that?

Maybe the easiest way for connectivity would be to open a VPN connection between the two locations which would give you access to the cameras.

Ash

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for replies...
The reasons for home install idea is the system at work does not have great config to run blue iris. It freezes up and uses 100% CPU...( I am still using a demo version. Based on feedback I want to decide where to install)

Upload speed is 25mbps
Cameras are 2mp.
Home and office are away..not in same building.

Can you guys suggest me an easy way to get this working plz..

VPN or blue iris web GI or rdp( what is rdp)

Thanks very much

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Ash Dell Optiplex PC are reasonably priced. My advice is to buy an Optiplex PC for your business and install BI there. Make sure BI is on same switch as your cameras.

Steps:

#1: Get cameras and BI working at your business. While connected to your business wifi, use your laptop browser to connect to local BI URL like http://192.168.11.211:81 (replace 192.168.11.211 with your BI server local IP address, replace 81 with your BI port if necessary).

***If you can do #1, then end-2-end, you have everything working locally at the business.

#2: Remote access: On business router, configure port forwarding for BI port. Then go home, Starbucks or somewhere else , use your laptop browser, try to connect to your business external IP address at configured external port. (Do not port forward your cameras.)

#3: BI has a great mobile app. Download BI mobile app and repeat access like in #1 and #2.

#4: For more security, turn off port forwarding in step #2 and configure VPN on router. Using your laptop or phone at remote location, connect to your business VPN. Upon successful VPN connect, test BI access via local BI URL from #1.

Last edited:

Ash

n3wb
Reaction score
@Ash Dell Optiplex PC are reasonably priced. My advice is to buy an Optiplex PC for your business and install BI there. Make sure BI is on same switch as your cameras.

Steps:

#1: Get cameras and BI working at your business. While connected to your business wifi, use your laptop browser to connect to local BI URL like http://192.168.11.211:81 (replace 192.168.11.211 with your BI server local IP address, replace 81 with your BI port if necessary).

***If you can do #1, then end-2-end, you have everything working locally at the business.

#2: Remote access: On business router, configure port forwarding for BI port. Then go home, Starbucks or somewhere else , use your laptop browser, try to connect to your business external IP address at configured external port. (Do not port forward your cameras.)

#3: BI has a great mobile app. Download BI mobile app and repeat access like in #1 and #2.

#4: For more security, turn off port forwarding in step #2 and configure VPN on router. Using your laptop or phone at remote location, connect to your business VPN. Upon successful VPN connect, test BI access via local BI URL from #1.

Thanks much actran.
What config is good ...can't spend very much now...

Thanks a

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for replies...
The reasons for home install idea is the system at work does not have great config to run blue iris. It freezes up and uses 100% CPU...( I am still using a demo version. Based on feedback I want to decide where to install)

Upload speed is 25mbps
Cameras are 2mp.
Home and office are away..not in same building.

Can you guys suggest me an easy way to get this working plz..

VPN or blue iris web GI or rdp( what is rdp)

Thanks very much
When you install the license, direct to disk will work...have you enabled direct to disk and hardware acceleration? what is the cpu of the office pc? how many 2mp cameras?

Ash

n3wb
Reaction score
When you install the license, direct to disk will work...have you enabled direct to disk and hardware acceleration? what is the cpu of the office pc? how many 2mp cameras?[/QUOTE

I am still on demo version...

I have lenovo c440 with pentium g 645 2.9ghz 4gb 1 tb ...
I have 4 2 mp cameras...

If I download app...will it WO regardless of blue iris server freezing up or working?

Will I still get motion alerts if PC is freezing up ..if I set up the mobile app..

Every advise is appreciated

Ash

Enrique

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If your local PC is not adequate, I really would suggest buying a refurb machine like the link below. Listed at $479 and I think I've heard around here about extra discount codes that they tweet out.

Messing with BI in one location accessing cameras in another location seems like a terrible idea when compared to just replacing the machine.

Dell Outlet Refurbished & Overstock Laptops & Desktops