Using blue iris to monitor camera on remote network

jdvaughn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a friend who has a few rental properties who is interested in having a few cameras for liability reasons. One of the ideas he mentioned was trying to use blue iris on one computer at his home to monitor all of his remote cameras. All of his cameras will be on a network and forwarded to allow outside access. My question is can you use blue iris on your home computer to access remote cameras on different networks? Feasibly I think you could just input the IP and the forwarding port, but I wasnt sure what other issues might arise with this. What about security? Having all of these ports open has to be a risk, but not sure if it is significant as they are only open to his cameras.

Thanks!

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Well since you have ISP equipment there and networking, why not just add a small computer to those for BI.

jdvaughn

n3wb
Reaction score
That is definitely an option to add a computer but he is looking to minimize cost of duplicate computers at his multiple rental properties. That is one option I am looking to do, but that would require a copy of blue iris for each house and a computer.

If he had all of his cameras hooked into his remote networks than he could *potentially* use one more capable computer to monitor all in one place with one BI license etc.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can set it up this way, but depending on the internet speed it might not work very well. Even if you have the very high upload rates necessary, it will use a tremendous amount of data and the internet providers might get mad about it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the security of forwarding to the cameras the risk is that the cameras get hacked (a very, very small risk). Typically the worst thing a hacker can do is view your live video and change your settings or upload a bad firmware image. Only a handful of people on this earth are knowledgeable enough to infect a camera with malware. The worst I would worry about is someone gaining admin access and bricking the cam with a bad firmware image.