Using delivery.pl - DS showing USPS van as a mere truck

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a cam pointed down my driveway that's configured to detect default objects and delivery objects (delivery.pt). There's shrubbery on either side of the end of the driveway and my mailbox is just to the left of the driveway behind the shrubs.

The mailman arrives in his usps van from the left. He'll either:

1) stop at the mailbox leaving only the front of the track visible to the camera, then after he shoves the mail in the box, continues across to the right exposing the entire side of the van w/ logo to the camera; or

2) if he has a package to deliver, he'll stop at the end of the driveway leaving the entire van visible (including logo), walk to the house & return, then drive off to the right.

What's happening is Deepstack consistently flags the mail van as a truck. What seems to be happening is as soon as BI triggers on the front of the van emerging from the shrubs, DS flags it as a truck before the usps logo comes into view and ignores the logo when it does.

However when the truck comes back up the other side of the street a minute or so later, DS always correctly flags it as usps. I suspect this is because it's across the street, further away & smaller in the FOV, and so the van comes into view in such a way that DS sees it all at once, rather than first the front bumper then the rest of the van.

"To confirm:" is set to usps,fedex,ups,amazon,person,car,truck,bus,bicycle since I also want to detect other trucks that aren't delivery vehicles. I tried increasing the # of real-time images (currently set to 80) and played around with "analyze one each:" timing without much if any improvement.

Is this a setting issue and if so which ones? Or, should I just create a clone camera and confirm only on delivery vehicles? And if I clone it, won't I get two alerts for every mailman visit (one from the main camera as truck and one from the clone camera as usps)?

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a cam pointed down my driveway that's configured to detect default objects and delivery objects (delivery.pt). There's shrubbery on either side of the end of the driveway and my mailbox is just to the left of the driveway behind the shrubs.

The mailman arrives in his usps van from the left. He'll either:

1) stop at the mailbox leaving only the front of the track visible to the camera, then after he shoves the mail in the box, continues across to the right exposing the entire side of the van w/ logo to the camera; or

2) if he has a package to deliver, he'll stop at the end of the driveway leaving the entire van visible (including logo), walk to the house & return, then drive off to the right.

What's happening is Deepstack consistently flags the mail van as a truck. What seems to be happening is as soon as BI triggers on the front of the van emerging from the shrubs, DS flags it as a truck before the usps logo comes into view and ignores the logo when it does.

However when the truck comes back up the other side of the street a minute or so later, DS always correctly flags it as usps. I suspect this is because it's across the street, further away & smaller in the FOV, and so the van comes into view in such a way that DS sees it all at once, rather than first the front bumper then the rest of the van.

"To confirm:" is set to usps,fedex,ups,amazon,person,car,truck,bus,bicycle since I also want to detect other trucks that aren't delivery vehicles. I tried increasing the # of real-time images (currently set to 80) and played around with "analyze one each:" timing without much if any improvement.

Is this a setting issue and if so which ones? Or, should I just create a clone camera and confirm only on delivery vehicles? And if I clone it, won't I get two alerts for every mailman visit (one from the main camera as truck and one from the clone camera as usps)?
I'd use a cloned camera and turn off default object detection on that, only using delivery.pt. Then it will only alert when it sees the logo.

Use the main camera for triggering recordings, but use the clone for alerts.

Edit: If you also want alerts for trucks and/or vans on the main camera, you will get duplicates since it will see a truck/van with the delivery logo and hence two alerts. I'm curious what other trucks you are looking for?

Last edited:

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm curious what other trucks you are looking for?
I'm interested in all trucks, especially deliveries and garbage trucks. All vehicles that pass through, actually.

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm interested in all trucks, especially deliveries and garbage trucks. All vehicles that pass through, actually.
The custom delivery.pt model will handle most common delivery logos and garbage trucks, so you could just use it for alerts. However, that would miss other trucks and vans (say a tow truck, flower delivery van, plumber, etc.)

So if you need that too, you would end up with duplicates. I suppose another option is to set up two zones (left and right) and have it trigger when moving from one to the other (so the vehicle is in the middle of the frame) where the logo is visible and won't get masked by the default model seeing a truck but no logo.