Using Intel (or any other) NUC as NVR

bekfal1234

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for suggestions to purchase an NUC to replace my raspberry pi 4 as an NVR. Currently have only one camera. The Pi is obviously not designed to be used as an NVR and can hardly manage a dahua IP cam at 1080p 30 fps.

I want to add another camera to my current setup and also try out AgentDVR software's features like facial recognition and Deepstack so i need a more powerful pc (but not too much overkill) so i was planning on an intel i3 - 11 gen or something similar. A pc of a small form factor and having idle power draw of around 10 to 20 W should be fine.

Can anyone please provide suggestions.

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A NUC is not designed as a 24/7 computer. The CPU will throttle when it gets hot and a whole host of other issues.

We have had many posts over the years where people tried it and were having problems.

Your best bet would be to find a SFF coming off a business lease and purchase the refurb.

bekfal1234

n3wb
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks. What do you suggest an i3 or i5 and which lowest gen of cpus can i go down to, to reduce costs?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I maybe demoted to bad member status for this link
Most of us are running 5-15 cams. So we can't recommend running a NUC. I like the Idea of less power consumption.
If you plan to run only 2 Camera's, ( 30 FPS isnt necessary-15 is usually OK) I suppose an i3 can do that.
I used to run 5 cams on a SFF( small form factor) Dell Optiplex 7020 with a 3rd generation i5. Then I put in an i7 chip 3770 and ran it up to about 12-13 cams.
But i think the energy efficiency and quietness and compactness of my 8th gen i5-8500 ( HP EliteDesk G4-800) is better than the old Dell.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Think of going with a PC as a chance to make it the best thing ever...
My wish list for the best PC NVR would be a completely silent running unit, and that means big cooling!
A NUC is anything but designed for heat dissipation.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks. What do you suggest an i3 or i5 and which lowest gen of cpus can i go down to, to reduce costs?
At this point, I wouldn't purchase anything less than an 8th gen cpu.
They are around $200 and less for refurbed models on ebay.
@Flintstone61 recommendation is a very good option.
Here are some choices: Ebay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Think of going with a PC as a chance to make it the best thing ever...
My wish list for the best PC NVR would be a completely silent running unit, and that means big cooling!
A NUC is anything but designed for heat dissipation.
My Dell Optiplex SFF is silent.

Reaction score
I maybe demoted to bad member status for this link
Most of us are running 5-15 cams. So we can't recommend running a NUC. I like the Idea of less power consumption.
If you plan to run only 2 Camera's, ( 30 FPS isnt necessary-15 is usually OK) I suppose an i3 can do that.
I used to run 5 cams on a SFF( small form factor) Dell Optiplex 7020 with a 3rd generation i5. Then I put in an i7 chip 3770 and ran it up to about 12-13 cams.
But i think the energy efficiency and quietness and compactness of my 8th gen i5-8500 ( HP EliteDesk G4-800) is better than the old Dell.
From the link by IBM:

"Monitor your home or workplace with the help of the 7th Gen Intel® NUC for business. Equipped with dual screen display capability and gigabit LAN, it's a powerful video security solution in a pint-sized package. Remotely manage the system, view video footage, and control cameras from any location with Intel® vPro™ technology. With space for an M.2 SSD and 2.5-inch HDD, there is plenty of space to store the operating system and captured video clips. The 7th Gen Intel® NUC for business with Intel® vPro™ technology is designed for reliable 24/7 operation. "

Realize that you will have a limited video storage capability using a 2.5"HDD and I am not sure if there are any surveillance rated 2.5" HDDs.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't there a post here not too long ago from a member trying a NUC with 2.5"HDD and the CPU kept pegging at 100%. Not sure which NUC he was using though.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My comment is that if a cheap NUC would work for video surveillance duties why would Dahua and Hikvision keep making NVRs? And some of them, for larger systems, have fans for cooling.