Using new gateway that has IP addresses beginning with 10. and my cameras are 192.?

adamfarber

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, so I am guessing this has been asked before but my Internet and gateway are from Xfinity (Comcast) and they are older and IP addresses are all 192. They want me to upgrade to the never gaterwat (for free) which will give me much faster speeds but I believe the new gateway will be on a 10. IP address system. So my question is do I need to chnage my wired and wireless cameras all to a 10. IP address to be compatible or can they work with the newer gateway with the different IP addresses? (192.) Thanks for any clarification. Adam

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It depends on how you have your network setup. If you are going to use the Xfinity modem/router as your local area network side, then you will either have to change it to an IP range that matches what you have now, or change your camera IPs to match it. i assume the cameras are static IPs, and everything else on your network is probably dynamic (DHCP). Note that the ENTIRE IP address is important, the last number is the only one that can change. For example, your network now could have 192.168.67.xxx, or 192.168.87.xxx. The two are different, very different. It really depends on what equipment you have, and what you are comfortable doing. I suspect you are using their equipment, and pretty basic, so you would have to renumber any static IPs you have.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most ISP-furnished modem/router combos can be logged into using its LAN IP (in your case of the new one @ 10.X.X.X) and changed to 192.X.X.X like your existing LAN subnet where your cams are.
IMO, that's a lot easier than changing 6, 8 or 20 IP cams to 10.X.X.X.
I've changed a dozen or more (who counts?) DSL modem/routers, 4G cellular modem/routers and others that way.
During the process, it will want (or it may do it automatically) change the DHCP pool in the router sectron also to the .192 subnet.