Using RTSP camera on Hikvision DS-7716NI-SP

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been trying to get a Foscam vnt6656g6A40 IP camera to work with a Hikvision NVR. I've never set up a camera using RTSP before (I JUST RECENTLY found out that RTSP is the transmission protocol as I thought before that was ONVIF). I've been trying different combinations of settings in the custom protocol, but I just can't get this camera online. I didn't know where to find the RTSP settings for this camera, but I found this page:
Foscam Forum • View topic - How to use RTSP and HTTPS for HD cameras

I'm not exactly sure what port the camera uses for RTSP, but according to my camera settings, the http port is 80 so I've been using that:
Dropbox - CameraPort.jpg - Simplify your life

I've been editing the custom protocol on the NVR (trying a combination of ports 80, 554, with password, without, etc) to see if I could hopefully fluke out and get the right settings, but I've been pulling my hair out trying to get this right:

From the website I posted above, this is what I'm thinking my RTSP feed should be, but it doesn't appear to work:
rtsp://admin@192.168.1.41:80/videoMain

I was wondering if I need to include the port number or user:pass in the stream URL as the port can be specified (and the username:password can be entered when modifying the camera settings)?
Dropbox - NVRRTSPSettings.jpg - Simplify your life
Dropbox - NVRCameraSettings.jpg - Simplify your life

I tried using VLC to open the stream, but I just keep getting
"Connection failed:
VLC could not connect to "192.168.1.41:88".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'rtsp://admin:password@192.168.1.41:88/videoMain'. Check the log for details."

I really have no idea what I'm doing, or even know if this camera can support it, but I'd appreciate any suggestions to try. I guess this is why you should only buy ONVIF compatible cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
was wondering if I need to include the port number or user:pass in the stream URL as the port can be specified (and the username:password can be entered when modifying the camera settings)?
You need to know the RTSP port - by default that's 554 and also the RTSP URL - which if the camera is ONVIF compatible can be seen at the bottom of the Live Video page in ONVIF Device Manager (sourceforge.net)
Give ODM some logon credentials (top left of the window) and it will find ONVIF devices automatically on the same IP address range as the PC.

In the Custom Protocol the stream path is the part of the URL after the IP address and port. See the example below, where /11 is the stream path.
The RTSP URL would have been something like rtsp://192.168.1.xxx:554/11
The password is set in the main dialogue box of Camera Configuration.

upload_2019-6-26_22-54-3.png

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dahua cameras have a menu item called Enable Authentication or something like that. Maybe that will help you find the right combination of settings and strings.

Deadeye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to know the RTSP port - by default that's 554 and also the RTSP URL - which if the camera is ONVIF compatible can be seen at the bottom of the Live Video page in ONVIF Device Manager (sourceforge.net)
Give ODM some logon credentials (top left of the window) and it will find ONVIF devices automatically on the same IP address range as the PC.

In the Custom Protocol the stream path is the part of the URL after the IP address and port. See the example below, where /11 is the stream path.
The RTSP URL would have been something like rtsp://192.168.1.xxx:554/11
The password is set in the main dialogue box of Camera Configuration.

View attachment 44076
It's not ONVIF (which is why I was getting so frustrated that I was going to toss it out the window) so I'm scrambling in the dark with this one. So, from your screenshot, I should just be able to use /videoMain in the Stram Path field, right (if that is indeed the correct URL, but I have no way of verifying that)? I tried that out and tried port 80 and 554 with no luck. I'm thinking that I have the incorrect path, but have no way of finding out the correct one. Serves me right for buying a cheap camera.

Dahua cameras have a menu item called Enable Authentication or something like that. Maybe that will help you find the right combination of settings and strings.
frankred it's a Foscam, not a Dahua.