Using single POE cable to power mic and camera

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Been lucking this forum a while looking for an easy way to do this … I have few dhaua from andy, and wanted to add a mic without having to add a power outlet for the DC in on the mic (camera is nowhere near power). a POE line should have sufficient voltage to run both the camera and a mic, but haven't seen any write ups on how to do this... so...
If anyone's already done this, then just ignore this

Parts list:
Mini 2-port POE extender (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HSN5YSK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

POE splitter
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MOIDXZ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

3-5" ethernet patch cable (just make one, or amazon sells)

MtM RCA coupler

From there, it's pretty simple--:

POE -> port 1 of Extender

Out of the extender, one patch cable to the Splitter, and the splitter powers the mic with a standard cable (the trendnet is a bit bigger than the others, but has selectable voltage)

The other port goes to the camera

Connect audio out from mic to audio in on camera, set up your software, and your GTG.
I've had this running for three days, and works great.

Only downside is that these parts do not fit in the standard mounting boxes Andy sells. I'm currently using 2 mounting boxes side-by-side, but looking for a way to slim this down to fit it into a single box, or may just get a bigger box.

Another option is to run 2 POE lines from your POE switch then just use the POE splitter …. I didn't feel like running another line, but that would work perfectly fine too.

Anyway, pretty simple, if I missed anyone elses write up, then just ignore.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've not seen that mini 2-port extender before. Its description confuses me. It says it's passive, yet logically it must contain a 2-port switch. It says "Passive Ethernet & Power extender/repeater/amplifier ", yet if it's a repeater and/or amplifier, it can't be passive. So what exactly is it, I wonder?

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, it's weird, I haven't taken it apart, but there must be an opamp in there, there's one in and two out, potential drop on a meter across both outs is the same. Weird too because one out is labeled data, the other is labeled camera. But so far it works, going strong now the entire weekend.

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's a splitter, not an extender. I have that, and the problem is that the ethernet line is unpowered. So using that, you're left with an unpowered ethernet line for your camera. I have yet to find a part that splits an incoming line into a powered ethernet line and a DC out for the mic. Best I've been able to come do with is first have to split the incoming poe line into two powered poe lines, which is what the extender does. Then feed one to the camera, the other to a splitter like you pointed to above.

FWIW, I tried that one as my splitter, but couldn't get it to work, either I had a bad unit or Vout was too low.

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Huh, based on the description, that looks like exactly what I was looking for... I'm going to try it, if I can replace the extender and splitter with that, everything may fit into a single box... thx.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
These are also great covers 40x13mm nice tight fit. They cost few dollars on ebay for 10x
foam.png

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On the micro seven splitter, is the ethernet output also powered? Unclear from the description.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this is not true. there is no output power on RJ45.
RJ45 is just a connector. Power Over Ethernet (POE) will supply power to a device such as a camera over an Ethernet cable.

krofeta

n3wb
Reaction score
Like I said, there is no power over POE on ethernet connector and you cant power POE camera connected to ethernet RJ45 connector. It is splitter not divider.

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I recently used a POE extender to provide POE to two devices from one Cat6 drop from my switch.

The "extender" is a bit like an Ethernet hub. Two devices can connect to one drop, both able to draw POE from my POE+ capable switch.

This allowed me to add a new Wi-Fi AP at a location where I already had an IP camera installed.

Elsewhere on the property I've used POE splitters. I think they could be used in conjunction with the extender without issue.