Using Spotter Cameras to direct a PTZ where to look in an NVR or Blue Iris and setting a spotter cam as a priority in Blue Iris

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't decide whether to enlist this thing to Condo Duty or Something to tinker with at home. Lord knows I will need a lot of practice programming this " auto track". Time I do not get at work. Maybe I can perfect my skills at home, and then unleash it on the Condo.
We have 2 Familys of Geese that will soon go from 4 Adults to 14 Goslings. The Auto track will freak the fuck out!

Reaction score
I can't decide whether to enlist this thing to Condo Duty or Something to tinker with at home. Lord knows I will need a lot of practice programming this " auto track". Time I do not get at work. Maybe I can perfect my skills at home, and then unleash it on the Condo.
We have 2 Familys of Geese that will soon go from 4 Adults to 14 Goslings. The Auto track will freak the fuck out!
best buy 14 PTZ's!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
i find it easier to hit the "prtsc" (print screen) button on the keyboard, open up Paint progam, paste in, do some cropping, save as jpg, and upload here.
of course, remove any security issues (serial #, passwords if visible, etc)
I think it's a little more readable as above. Either way, you can see that there is a call made to that preset for the return.

Did you try using a numbered preset instead of the "PTZ home?"

Reaction score
<s:Body xmlns:xsi="" xmlns:xsd=""><GotoPreset xmlns=""><ProfileToken>MediaProfile000</ProfileToken><PresetToken>3</PresetToken></GotoPreset></s:Body></s:Envelope>

so i see it as Blue Iris sending GoToPreset 3
is preset 3 your home?
mine is preset 1 HOME

I can get this HTTP ONVIF command to initiate a camera to move to any preset. It's the going back to HOME after a period of time, that is the issue. Right now, it will stay at a preset forever. (eek... my copy/paste looks horrible)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I edited the above to make that more clear. Preset 3 is my "home" position for that time as set in the schedule.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That was what I'd mentioned before. At least long ago when I was trying to help someone else get spotters setup and couldn't figure out why the return wasn't working, I realized that I've always been running a schedule and they were not. Set a simple schedule just to give it something to "resume" and all good.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
In BI. Under Schedule > Events schedule button > Camera control event schedule.

I move the cam from one position during the day to a different view at night.

Reaction score
In BI. Under Schedule > Events schedule button > Camera control event schedule.

I move the cam from one position during the day to a different view at night.
solved!
after 2 manual triggers of spotter cam, the PTZ does head back to HOME! Thanks Mike!
Interesting issue though....
1.) I opened up the PTZ camera settings page
2.) goto SCHEDULE tab
3.) click on the bottom EVENTS SCHEDULE button
4.) and there is a entry already there but not enabled. I do not remember if I entered that in with all this troubleshooting, or if BI put it there by default. But the entry was going to the Function of PTZ HOME. Your idea of selecting a different preset gave me an idea. I changed it from PTZ HOME to PTZ Preset 1 (which I think is HOME anyways?). And it works!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad that you got it working. I thought that might be the case earlier since "PTZ Home" isn't really a preset. And in the POST from the capture above you can see how that call is done - as a number for the preset. So makes sense.

Reaction score
Glad that you got it working. I thought that might be the case earlier since "PTZ Home" isn't really a preset. And in the POST from the capture above you can see how that call is done - as a number for the preset. So makes sense.
I might toss ken or blue iris support a little advisement about this. I can see how selecting "PTZ HOME", folks are expecting the PTZ to go HOME.

Reaction score
Well I did say in Post #22 to add a schedule, not my fault you didn't enable it LOL :lmao:

I revised post #1 to add that the schedule is needed as well for future followers.
I think that's why I had a schedule but I selected PTZ home, not preset 1 home. Did not know there was a difference.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that a cycle running also will work if someone had a use case.

Might also want to add to use a numbered preset vs the "PTZ Home" as the home position. Not sure which of those fixed Holbs' problem but I think that both need to be set up right.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think that's why I had a schedule but I selected PTZ home, not preset 1 home. Did not know there was a difference.
Just giving you a hard time LOL. Yeah, not sure why it makes a difference, but some coding behind the scenes can by funny sometimes LOL.

Just imagine the hard time we can give @Flintstone61 when he sets his up LOL :lmao:

Reaction score
I sent support an email with the suggestion of making use of spotter cameras more....streamlined & helpful in the Blue Iris Help File with the link to this forum posting. So who knows.

Reaction score
Just giving you a hard time LOL. Yeah, not sure why it makes a difference, but some coding behind the scenes can by funny sometimes LOL.

Just imagine the hard time we can give @Flintstone61 when he sets his up LOL :lmao:
oh that's right! @Flintstone61 , remember... plug PTZ into a POE switch, not a regular non-POE switch! There ya go... #1 help for today