Using VPN and can't connect from a WAN connection

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just configured my router to enable the Open VPN client Private Internet Access (PIA). So now, any device that connects to my router via a wired or wireless connection uses a VPN.

My question now is what do I need to do in order to be able to connect from a WAN connection via my laptop and mobile device. My BI PC has been set up using the Dynamic DNS provider No-IP so when I connect I use a DNS name instead of an IP.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just configured my router to enable the Open VPN client Private Internet Access (PIA). So now, any device that connects to my router via a wired or wireless connection uses a VPN.

My question now is what do I need to do in order to be able to connect from a WAN connection via my laptop and mobile device. My BI PC has been set up using the Dynamic DNS provider No-IP so when I connect I use a DNS name instead of an IP.

Thanks!
Once the vpn connection is established your remote device acts as if it is on your local network...you dont need the no-ip or wan connection...you should be using your lan ip only...
disable any port forwarding as well.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman... I'm not using the VPN on my phone, tablet or laptop when I'm away from my home.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman... I'm not using the VPN on my phone, tablet or laptop when I'm away from my home.
You undestand that PIA does not provide you any security protection but for hiding your browsing...it does not secure your blue iris machine in any way...you have setup the wrong type of vpn.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@fenderman... I did not realize that. So in order to provide security protection for any device connected to my LAN but yet still allows me to connect to BI via a WAN connection from any of my devices, how would you suggest I set this up? Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman... I did not realize that. So in order to provide security protection for any device connected to my LAN but yet still allows me to connect to BI via a WAN connection from any of my devices, how would you suggest I set this up? Thanks
first cancel your pia account...second read nayr's primer.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks guys, I'll check out the primer.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Okay, I read the primer and see how this would work great for connecting to my LAN while remote. But, I don't see anything about how this would encrypt any internet traffic from any device in my home connected to my router going out to the internet. What am I missing?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
why would any traffic from your home video surveillance traverse the internet if your not connecting remotely?

Your cameras dont require any internet access, when your on your on the same network nothing is going across the internet.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
why would any traffic from your home video surveillance traverse the internet if your not connecting remotely?

Your cameras dont require any internet access, when your on your on the same network nothing is going across the internet.
I'm not asking about my cameras accessing the internet. I have a house full of devices that connect to my LAN and WLAN that go out to the internet. I want to encrypt that traffic without affecting my ability to access my cameras from any WAN connection via my laptop or phone. That's why I thought using PIA was a good idea.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not asking about my cameras accessing the internet. I have a house full of devices that connect to my LAN and WLAN that go out to the internet. I want to encrypt that traffic without affecting my ability to access my cameras from any WAN connection via my laptop or phone. That's why I thought using PIA was a good idea.
Why? all PIA does is mask your ip address and slow your connection...it provides zero security..the data passes outside the vpn when it moves from their servers to the website servers..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What? abort/retry/fail.

PIA dont encrypt your traffic all the way to the end point, it hides your origin so you can commit crimes on the internet without it easily being traced back to you.. presuming PIA.com is not just a front already fully infiltrated by law enforcement.

Once it leaves PIA its all unencrypted and anyone can intercept it, just the origins look like its coming from there IP.. thats not security.. its anonymity, sorta.. PIA knows who you are and what your doing.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Why? all PIA does is mask your ip address and slow your connection...it provides zero security..the data passes outside the vpn when it moves from their servers to the website servers..
Obviously I'm learning a great deal tonight. So really what I'm after isn't possible. So all those VPN providers claiming security etc. are bending the truth? Seems like hiding my WAN IP would be a good thing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously I'm learning a great deal tonight. So really what I'm after isn't possible. So all those VPN providers claiming security etc. are bending the truth? Seems like hiding my WAN IP would be a good thing.
why would it be a good thing...they are slowing you down and everything passes through their servers...
The security they claim is simply anonymity...who cares if a website knows your ip address unless you are sharing illegal content..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hiding your WAN IP from whom exactly? Automated hacking bots try every IP on the internet.. you cant hide from em.

FYI: Obscurity !== Security, its like hiding the key to your house under the welcome mat.. your just hoping nobody discovers it.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
why would it be a good thing...they are slowing you down and everything passes through their servers...
The security they claim is simply anonymity...who cares if a website knows your ip address unless you are sharing illegal content..
Makes sense... I'm just paranoid about ecommerce traffic from my home via online shopping, banking etc. Not sharing any content just trying to prevent or make it more difficult for someone to access any of my devices from outside.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes sense... I'm just paranoid about ecommerce traffic from my home via online shopping, banking etc. Not sharing any content just trying to prevent or make it more difficult for someone to access any of my devices from outside.
It will do zero to protect your eCommerce traffic...save your money...use it to buy a camera..
Preventing outside access requires a good firewall and not exposing ports..nothing PIA does helps..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that has its own layer of encryption, called SSL.. if the only way for anyone to access your devices from outside is to connect through a VPN Server your running on your router then its going be extremely difficult for that to happen.. dont forward ports

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It will do zero to protect your eCommerce traffic...save your money...use it to buy a camera..
Preventing outside access requires a good firewall and not exposing ports..nothing PIA does helps..
Thanks for the advice... I think I'll look into firewalls instead and cancel PIA.