v5.3.3 web access very buggy.

PerthMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all.
I've been trying for a long time to get web access to my cameras listed below, via a windows 10 platform. Currently, I use a mac to do all my bidding via safari and it works perfectly. Unfortunately it's my wife's university computer so I don't have access to it all the time.

On windows, in Edge, Firefox, and Explorer I can log in, and change *SOME* settings but others I can not. At first I thought it was a webcomponants issue, but now I am wondering if there is something wrong with the script that displays the XML information?

I can get live view working by using VLC, but of course I can't do any image adjustments, motion detection, VCA triggers etc.

Things I have tried:
  • Clicking the link to install webcomponents, but it looks like it points to ../../codebase/WebComponents.exe (so it's stored on the camera?) Anyway, it's not there.
  • Tried to obtain and install WebComponents.exe which appeared to install fine, but did not work.
  • I found a thread where a gentleman had something similar and posted back to say he solved it by going into local settings and making sure HTTP was selected for live stream protocol. This is where I discovered that SOME of my settings are screwed up when viewing through Edge, Firefox, and Explorer. On my wife's Mac, HTTP is selected. But in everything when viewed by windows it shows none of the radio buttons on that page selected. If I select HTTP and click save, nothing happens. No confirmation to say its been saved or anything. I will attach a couple of pictures.
Hardware/Software:

LAPTOP
  • Lenovo yoga2, Windows 10 (Upgraded from windows7)
NVR
  • DS-7616N-E2/8P v3.3.4 Build 150616 (Chinese)
IPC
  • 3 x DS-2CD3145F-IS v5.3.3 Build 150624 (Chinese)
  • 1 x DS-2CD3145F-I v5.3.3 Build 150624 (Chinese)

I hope someone may be able to point me towards the right direction. I've been scouring the internet for a solution to this for a while now and everything I try seems to fail.

Regards,

PerthMan

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What version of webcomponents is in use?
Have you tried adding the cameras to 'Trusted sites' in IE? That can make a difference.
Here is what I believe is the most recent Windows version of webcomponents, version 3.0.6.8 from the NVR 3.4.90 firmware.
Maybe try de-installing yours and installing this.

Attachments

PerthMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh cheers alastairstevenson.
Actually I don't know what version of webcomponents I installed. It was quite some months ago I was trying and then I gave up for a bit and lived with sharing my wife's Mac.

I'll have a bit of a poke around this window's laptop and see if I can figure out the version, and if it's < 3.0.6.8 I'll unistall and try your's.
I'll try adding to IE trusted sites first though.

Thank you very much for your response.

*Edit: That's a negative on the trusted sites

PerthMan

n3wb
Reaction score
alistairstevenson, you are a champ!
I couldn't find my version number, but uninstalled it and tried yours.

Interesting to note (for anyone else having the same issue) the installation splash screen I had not seen before. This one seemed to have a hikvision logo etc. I am guessing the webcomponents I had obtained was NOT the correct WebComponents.exe
I did try the hikvision web sites as well so I guess this one his hidden there somewhere.

It doesn't work in Edge, but does in firefox which is fine by me because that's my browser of choice currently. Just to top it off, I clicked on image to make sure everything was working and happened to see a big bloody rat crawl down my bedroom window.

Anyway, thanks for that Alistair. Very much appreciated my friend.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I did try the hikvision web sites as well so I guess this one his hidden there somewhere.
Best not, years out of date.
This one was supplied within the NVR 3.4.90 firmware.
It doesn't work in Edge,
None of these type of add-ons will, Edge does not support them.
I clicked on image to make sure everything was working and happened to see a big bloody rat crawl down my bedroom window.
Wow!
By the way - for future reference (as webcomponents is a bit fluid), in IE11 and Firefox - Settings | Manage add-ons gets you version numbers.

PerthMan

n3wb
Reaction score
Bugger, I just read that firefox plan to drop support for it (NPAPI) in March next year, 4 months away.
I hope there will be a work around OTHER than a firmware upgrade. I'm reluctant to attempt that in case I brick my Chinese hik's.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope there will be a work around OTHER than a firmware upgrade.
Despite a statement from Hikvision that they would have developed a suitable alternative by November 2015, nothing has happened as far as I know.
Others with Hikvision contacts may be able to comment ...

PerthMan

n3wb
Reaction score
I suppose when it all breaks they will be forced into action :) Or potentially lose part of their customer base. I've only just got into cctv and I love playing with their product but if I had to go out and buy new products next year I might be inclined to try something else.