Varifocal Cam questions

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK So I was looking at the specs and reviews on some Dahua cams:
IPC-B5442E-ZE
IPC-HFW2831T-ZS
IPC-HDW5831R-ZE

But I noticed none them support ONVIF, I am planning on using BI and I was liking what I saw until I realized they were no ONVIF. Or maybe I miss read some of the info or is there a different product number ONVIF compatible versions? I am probably going to lean towards a turret version of a varifocal but I not glued to turret over bullet for this particular camera. I am trying to whittle down a list of 6 or so varifocals to one or two. Based on the reviews I was reading it struck me as odd they were not ONVIF, but then I realized I don't think the reviewers I was reading stated which NVR or VMS they were using.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a B5442E-ZE, varifocal bullet, running with Blue Iris and BI recognized it with no problems. I think Dahua doesn't list ONVIF anymore because they're in an argument with ONVIF.
I know about the ONVIF issue but from what I read they were still being certified because the testing tool has not had the major update yet.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any cams reviewed here will work in BI.

Realize that the 8MP (4k) cams you list will not give you great low-light color performance.
I understand that, but the area this camera will be viewing has lighting. So I am not ruling out a 4k yet.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I think I narrowed down my varifocal choices to one of these IPC-T5442T-ZE over IPC-HDW5831-ZE? My other question is the 5442 uses starlight while the 5831 uses stravis (sp) correct? I had trouble confirming this aspect when I went back looking.
Anything negative I should be aware of that I might have missed about either of them?
I am also not 100% sure I have the correct OEM numbers for EmpireCandy.
I did consider the bullet versions and the Hikvision DS-2CD2H23Go-IZS, but I think i prefer the turret version and the 23G0 relied on IR at night. Night time lighting should not be a major issue, between my outside light and the street light.
Any last minute Varifocal cam suggestions to look at before pulling the trigger? I know the 5422 is relatively new but what I read and pics/vid reviews seem to sell me on it.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh crap I almost forgot, Has any used the IPC-T5442T-ZE with Blue Iris? I know the other version seemed to work with BI but just wanted to double check since it is so new, any BI quirks I should be aware of?.

Reaction score
1. Starvis is the name of the sensor built by Sony that Dahua and other brand use. Starlight is the name Dahua has given to specific cams that can be used at a low min illumination and all seem to be using the Sony Starvis sensor.
2. The 5831 will not give you near the low-light color performance of the 5442. It has twice the MP on a smaller sensor than the 5442, plus it is an older model.
3. Yes, the 5442 will work in BI. All of the cams discussed here will work in BI. I have already told you this in post #5 above.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. Starvis is the name of the sensor built by Sony that Dahua and other brand use. Starlight is the name Dahua has given to specific cams that can be used at a low min illumination and all seem to be using the Sony Starvis sensor.
2. The 5831 will not give you near the low-light color performance of the 5442. It has twice the MP on a smaller sensor than the 5442, plus it is an older model.
3. Yes, the 5442 will work in BI. All of the cams discussed here will work in BI. I have already told you this in post #5 above.
Yes i know you did. I read the reviews I found, but BI was not mentioned specifically in the IPC-T5442T-ZE review thread, I did note Andy said it would work with BI in the one the thread were he introduced it as coming, but that was before the cam was available for review. I know the other versions of the 5442 works with BI but I have been in the IT industry too long to just assume because one version of a hardware will work with the a software app the next will as well, and I realize it is just a form factor change, thus it does not hurt to ask. Wildcat is the only review I have found for the turret version and it posted just 2 days ago. I do get a hit for KN10, but I keep getting an oops error with on his review. I realize I am not spending thousands on this but I prefer not to go through aggravation of setting up and troubleshooting only to find out it did not work with the intended application. Now that the new Cams are not ONVIF certified I am just doing my due diligence forgive me if I offended you by asking the question again.

Reaction score
You can order your cameras through @EMPIRETECANDY. All of the cameras work on BI, that is why so many of us choose BI over NVR. The versatility of the software is great. But it just depends on the individual user as to what they prefer to use. If you go NVR it is recommended to have the same cameras as the NVR brand. With BI you can mix and match cameras with out having the issues that mix and matched cameras might have on an NVR.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can order your cameras through @EMPIRETECANDY. All of the cameras work on BI, that is why so many of us choose BI over NVR. The versatility of the software is great. But it just depends on the individual user as to what they prefer to use. If you go NVR it is recommended to have the same cameras as the NVR brand. With BI you can mix and match cameras with out having the issues that mix and matched cameras might have on an NVR.
Yeah I think I found the correct amazon link for him last night before heading to bed, the first one did not seem right at all. but somewhere in one of his thread I think was an updated amazon link. It had like 94 items or something, vs the other with like 19 and non of them were the camera models I have been scouring recently.

Reaction score
Yeah I think I found the correct amazon link for him last night before heading to bed, the first one did not seem right at all. but somewhere in one of his thread I think was an updated amazon link. It had like 94 items or something, vs the other with like 19 and non of them were the camera models I have been scouring recently.
You can ask him directly with the link i sent you and you can order from him directly, it will save you a few bucks and it might even get to you before amazon since amazon is still shipping non essential items slower than usual.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh I thought everyone used his amazon or alibi links unless it was something specific he did not normally carry in the store.

Reaction score
Oh I thought everyone used his amazon or alibi links unless it was something specific he did not normally carry in the store.
Nope you can do either way, but emailing him personally is faster since amazon has slowed down non essential deliveries.