Varifocal Zoom Target Area Loss?

Crows

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi guys , shown in the picture is the target area Alley Way , I've been searching for a suitable varifocal turret so I can zoom in and id people going in or out . I currently have mounted there a Dahua HDW3541TMP 5MP AI Turret fixed FL 2.8mm . I really would like to keep that starting FL of 2.8mm but just having a look at that picture I'm now thinking due to the mounting hight of the cam and the eaves that I might lose the target area in the zoom process .
Would appreciate your thoughts guys , and any cam recommendations? Thanks.
alley1unew.jpg

Reaction score
I've been searching for a suitable varifocal turret so I can zoom in and id people going in or out .
A varifocal cam is not a PTZ. It is not a zoom camera in the true sense of the word 'zoom'. It is not meant to change the focal length on a regular basis. It is meant to be used to find the most suitable focal length for your given location and then leave it there. It has a motorized lens system but that system is not meant for high usage. High usage will burn out the motor fairly quickly. If you want to zoom in to see something then zoom back out, you need a true PTZ cam.

Crows

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification.
Even with a PTZ I'm thinking I may lose the target on zoom-in due to the eaves , I think I can lower the mounting position for a PTZ .
Back to the old drawing board !
Cheers.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A PTZ will work for that no problem. The camera's FOV narrows as you zoom in. Also you can tip the PTZ (Pan, Tilt, Zoom) down as you zoom in. The eaves will be out of the field of view as you zoom in to the street. Looks like a great mounting spot to me.