VB-S30D

Reaction score
Hi

Has anybody had any experiences with the Canon VB-S30D MKII camera and B.I. Recently replaced a MKI version which had failed with a MKII. Thought it was going to be a straight forward swap out but it's not.
PTZ functionality does not work in B.I, does directly through camera web browser, and I have tried everything I can think of. Anybody comes across this issue before?
Thank you in advance.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have that cam but maybe if you share what you have tried it'll help.

Have you tried (in Camera "Properties" under "PTZ/Control" settings) using "ONVIF" in the dropdown instead of Canon? Or tried the different Canon models within "PTZ/Control"?

Reaction score
Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply and idea. I never tried ONVIF although I did try all the Canon options and Axis options as well. Whats odd is that the original MKI camera PTZ functionality worked just fine and I hadn't changed these setting. So the MKII is not backwards compatible from what I see with these settings. I will try the ONVIF option and report back. And thank you again for your help.

Reaction score
Hi Tony
I tried all those settings again, including ONVIF, and still have had no luck. I contacted Blue Iris and received a reply several days later asking that I pay to upgrade my support, which I did for the year. They said that they would remote in on the camera and asked for it to be put online, which I did. It's been public for several days now and I've sent them a few emails, only one of which has been answered. The only thing I've noticed is the startup sequence log entries, there is a few items in there that look odd like this.

"May 24 18:18:40 VB-S30 kernel: cfi_cmdset_0002: Disabling erase-suspend-program due to code brokenness."
"May 24 18:18:40 VB-S30 kernel: cmdlinepart partition parsing not available
May 24 18:18:40 VB-S30 kernel: RedBoot partition parsing not available"

My next step is to find a different software platform to view them on, can you recommend an alternative to Blue Iris?

Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tony
I tried all those settings again, including ONVIF, and still have had no luck. I contacted Blue Iris and received a reply several days later asking that I pay to upgrade my support, which I did for the year. They said that they would remote in on the camera and asked for it to be put online, which I did. It's been public for several days now and I've sent them a few emails, only one of which has been answered. The only thing I've noticed is the startup sequence log entries, there is a few items in there that look odd like this.

"May 24 18:18:40 VB-S30 kernel: cfi_cmdset_0002: Disabling erase-suspend-program due to code brokenness."
"May 24 18:18:40 VB-S30 kernel: cmdlinepart partition parsing not available
May 24 18:18:40 VB-S30 kernel: RedBoot partition parsing not available"

My next step is to find a different software platform to view them on, can you recommend an alternative to Blue Iris?

Thank you.
You will have to give him more than a few days to login. There are many alternatives to blueiris how much are you willing to pay per camera for licensing?
Alternatively you can sell this 500 dollar camera and buy 3 dahuas like this Review-Dahua SD1A203T-GN Starlight Mini PTZ
newer cameras require you to enable onvif in the firmware interface.

Reaction score
You will have to give him more than a few days to login. There are many alternatives to blueiris how much are you willing to pay per camera for licensing?
Alternatively you can sell this 500 dollar camera and buy 3 dahuas like this Review-Dahua SD1A203T-GN Starlight Mini PTZ
Thanks for the information and feedback Fenderman. Will check it out. Cheers

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a few of those and it works great with Bi and does look very similar to the Canon. Not sure if there is any difference/benefits on the Canon but not sure if I would notice it for that price difference.

Reaction score
I have a few of those and it works great with Bi and does look very similar to the Canon. Not sure if there is any difference/benefits on the Canon but not sure if I would notice it for that price difference.
Thanks for the feedback.

Reaction score
If you like I can try to login to your system via teamviewer and see if I could get it working.
Hi Fenderman, thanks for the offer. Thats kind of you but at this stage I'll pass. I am looking at different viewing programs now. What programs would you recommend that are less than $100 per camera please? Curious to get your feedback.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fenderman, thanks for the offer. Thats kind of you but at this stage I'll pass. I am looking at different viewing programs now. What programs would you recommend that are less than $100 per camera please? Curious to get your feedback.
That is Silly but look at digital watchdog ipvms 70 per camera.

Reaction score
T
That is Silly but look at digital watchdog ipvms 70 per camera.
Thanks for the feedback. If I was able to direct message you, I would be more than happy to share the WAN IP address for the camera and provide an account with admin access. If you think you can get it too work with BI I'd be more than happy to do so.
Thank you.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
T

Thanks for the feedback. If I was able to direct message you, I would be more than happy to share the WAN IP address for the camera and provide an account with admin access. If you think you can get it too work with BI I'd be more than happy to do so.
Thank you.
Try with BI. You will be happier. If you get it to work please share.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
T

Thank you.
you can send me a pm.

Reaction score
Thanks again for your offer Fenderman. I finally found the solution after several frustrating hours. After watching the network traffic between the camera and two programs that the PTZ worked with, using WireShark, I was able to find a winning combination of settings. Sure it probably would have taken you 5 mins but I got there in the end. :)
Cheers

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again for your offer Fenderman. I finally found the solution after several frustrating hours. After watching the network traffic between the camera and two programs that the PTZ worked with, using WireShark, I was able to find a winning combination of settings. Sure it probably would have taken you 5 mins but I got there in the end. :)
Cheers
Great!
Perhaps you'd be inclined to post a screenshot of the PTZ settings in BI that were a "winning combination", as that could help another forum member someday with a VB-S30D.

Reaction score
Absolutely. I am a little embarrassed to post it because it's probably an easy and obvious solution to you guys. But I have attached a screenshot of the settings. For some reason if you use HTTP and run the find/discover it returns a HTTP error 307. Once you have run the same process with RTSP it will pass all checks and then PTZ can be used, changing back to HTTP after this process has been completed still allows PTZ control but only after discovery via RTSP. Despite the other Canon IP cameras using Port 8999 for ONVIF/Discovery this uses Port 80 which I've since learned is typically the case with other brands?

The PTZ page has to be set to ONVIF as well. I also noticed that selecting any of the other Network Options also seems to affect it but I can't but sure with certainty which items specifically. VB-S30DMKIIBI.png
Hope this helps someone.