Verizon WAN stops working in a few hours so BI app can't work unless it's in same network...

DSE

n3wb
Reaction score
I go through the easy remote access process in Blue Iris (very cool) and the UPnP (8081) is always gone and needs to be re-added for my WAN to work (my LAN connection always works). Any ideas? Thanks!

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
never use UPnP!! NEVER! Its really very simple, many people will say dont forward ports, use a VPN. They are right but to get port forwarding working You have to forward the port manually in the router. Dont use UPnP, its extremely unsecure.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never had an issue forwarding ports. Without the proper passwords people can't access.
Port Forwarding is Perfectly Safe... Wait, What...

Without the proper passwords people can't access.
While there is a LITTLE bit of truth to this statement, there is a massive amount of risk non the less! Sure they need a password to access the "content" directly, but that doesn't mean without the password they can't do serious harm to your device. Don't live with your head in the sand. If you choose to port forward assure your network has the proper security in place, you understand how to review network logs, you stay vigilant. But be aware it only takes one zero-day to take down your device and in some cases turn it against everything else on your network in the process.

Hacked Cameras, DVRs Powered Today’s Massive Internet Outage — Krebs on Security

How 1.5 Million Connected Cameras Were Hijacked to Make an Unprecedented Botnet

How the Internet of Things Got Hacked

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Port Forwarding is Perfectly Safe... Wait, What...

While there is a LITTLE bit of truth to this statement, there is a massive amount of risk non the less! Sure they need a password to access the "content" directly, but that doesn't mean without the password they can't do serious harm to your device. Don't live with your head in the sand. If you choose to port forward assure your network has the proper security in place, you understand how to review network logs, you stay vigilant. But be aware it only takes one zero-day to take down your device and in some cases turn it against everything else on your network in the process.

Hacked Cameras, DVRs Powered Today’s Massive Internet Outage — Krebs on Security

How 1.5 Million Connected Cameras Were Hijacked to Make an Unprecedented Botnet

How the Internet of Things Got Hacked
I'm not worried about it. I've had ports open for remote access to devices for over twelve years. Never had an issue, and I'm not really worried about having one. If someone were to hack my dozen cameras on my network what will they see? Not very much. Then I have over ninety other devices on my home network. As long as my FiOS GigE connection stays up, I'm happy. If something ever happens then I'll deal with it.

Last edited:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DC area - 90+ devices on home network.... is this your house? Mr. Trump, is that you?

That you know of......
Out of sight out of mind. :) As long as I don't see an issue then I don't care.

??? The white house has thousands of connections on their network.

I keep adding more and more devices. Like all these Wemo Smart switches I have now. I have over fifty wireless devices(using five Access Points) on my network now and over fifty wired devices. Every device needs a network connection now. And I keep getting more and more devices.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

keep adding more and more devices. Like all these Wemo Smart switches I have now.
Yea, cause those things wern't all over the blogs last year about how hackable and security risk prone they are...
Belkin WeMo Devices Expose Smartphones to Attacks | SecurityWeek.Com
New IoT security flaws found in Nest and Belkin devices - Internet of Business
Forbes Welcome

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nothing I can do about the Wemo devices. I have no ports open for them.

Between my Wemo switches and Smart Things devices, I have three dozen devices that are accessed by my Samsung Smart Things Hub and app. It is whatever it is. I really can't do anything about them if I want to use them. But so far they have worked great.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

??? The white house has thousands of connections on their network.

I keep adding more and more devices. Like all these Wemo Smart switches I have now. I have over fifty wireless devices(using five Access Points) on my network now and over fifty wired devices. Every device needs a network connection now. And I keep getting more and more devices.
You dont see an issue because you dont know how to...
you are one of the very few people I know who doesnt use their home network for any personal data

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You dont see an issue because you dont know how to...
you are one of the very few people I know who doesnt use their home network for any personal data
I've got around 150TB of available storage on my network. 129TB from three unRAID setups. And the rest from other smaller NAS devices and PCs. But I only have a few terabytes of data that I would not want to lose. Pictures, Music, documents, etc. WHich I back up locally to a RAID 0 NAS, back up to the cloud, and I also keep a drive with this content at my GFs house(that I rotate a few times a year between two 6TB hard drives). So for all my important data, I should hopefully be covered.

Maybe I've been lucky that I've not had any issues in twenty one years. I first setup my home network in 1996 and used a PC for a DHCP server and the Black Ice Firewall program. I upgraded to a GigE network in 2001 and when consumer routers and switches came out with GigE capability i stopped using a PC and strictly used a router.

At some point I'd like to upgrade to NBAse T with 2.5Gb/s and 5Gb/s speeds over Cat5e and Cat6. Since my GigE network has been my bottleneck for many years now. Since I started using SSDs in my PCs and laptops. But until that cheaper solution emerges, I'm stuck with a GigE network.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got around 150TB of available storage on my network. 129TB from three unRAID setups. And the rest from other smaller NAS devices and PCs. But I only have a few terabytes of data that I would not want to lose. Pictures, Music, documents, etc. WHich I back up locally to a RAID 0 NAS, back up to the cloud, and I also keep a drive with this content at my GFs house(that I rotate a few times a year between two 6TB hard drives). So for all my important data, I should hopefully be covered.

Maybe I've been lucky that I've not had any issues in twenty one years. I first setup my home network in 1996 and used a PC for a DHCP server and the Black Ice Firewall program. I upgraded to a GigE network in 2001 and when consumer routers and switches came out with GigE capability i stopped using a PC and strictly used a router.
I think you misunderstood. When I say personal data I mean information that you wouldn't want anyone else to see. Photographs personal documents banking information etc. Once a network is compromised, It's relatively easy to inject things like keyloggers on to devices on that Network....

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood. When I say personal data I mean information that you wouldn't want anyone else to see. Photographs personal documents banking information etc. Once a network is compromised, It's relatively easy to inject things like keyloggers on to devices on that Network....
The only information like that is with my actual credit card companies and Banks., And there is nothing I can do if/when they get compromised. Since I have no control over them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The only information like that is with my actual credit card companies and Banks., And there is nothing I can do if/when they get compromised. Since I have no control over them.
very strange, that you dont send private emails or do online banking, or fill out forms that include your social or keep private photos....if so, you are not the norm...regardless, dont recommend that others do the same when you dont know what they do on their network.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you share what router/firewall you use?

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
very strange, that you dont send private emails or do online banking, or fill out forms that include your social or keep private photos....if so, you are not the norm...regardless, dont recommend that others do the same when you dont know what they do on their network.
Sure I send private emails, but I couldn't care less if someone else read them. There is no information there I'm worried about. I do online banking but that is typically from an app on my phone or tablets. And I have photos but again I couldn't care less if someone else saw them. Nothing special about a bunch of personal photos I have from over the last few decades. And the tens of thousands of photos are all in the cloud anyway(as well as on an NAS) with Amazon and MIcrosoft which I have no control over. And my social security number, I have filled out forms with it. But if someone wants to get my SSN, it would be very easy to do anyway without hacking anything from my home network. It's more likely to be stolen from a bank or credit card company when they are hacked. Which I have no control over.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure I send private emails, but I couldn't care less if someone else read them. There is no information there I'm worried about. I do online banking but that is typically from an app on my phone or tablets. And I have photos but again I couldn't care less if someone else saw them. Nothing special about a bunch of personal photos I have from over the last few decades. And the tens of thousands of photos are all in the cloud anyway(as well as on an NAS) with Amazon and MIcrosoft which I have no control over. And my social security number, I have filled out forms with it. But if someone wants to get my SSN, it would be very easy to do anyway without hacking anything from my home network. It's more likely to be stolen from a bank or credit card company when they are hacked. Which I have no control over.
Why do you assume your phone is secured.... regardless.. even if all the above is true don't give this bad advice to others when you don't know how they use their Network