Verizon wifi hot spot??

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend for a Verizon wifi hot spot? Does anyone have experience with one of these at a remote location?

What I am looking to do is set one up for a computer at a remote location. I need to be able to log into the computer remotely with TeamViewer and check on the computer and let the computer use the internet when it wants.

1. I do not want a monthly plan right now, I want pay as you go for the data that I will use. About 1gb a month.
2. Are they reliable or can you reset them remotely if they come off line through Verizon website? $5 timer to reset them every few days, if not, would that work?
3. Do they make a wired version to put cat 5 from device to the computer? (I did not come across this in my research)
4. How about one with an external antenna for better indoor reception at the building?

Thank you!

Last edited:

noxcuses

n3wb
Reaction score
I implemented a setup similar to what you are describing a few years ago. I added the VZW Hot spot to an existing phone plan that had a data package. I think it was $10 or 20 bucks a month to have the unit on the account and it would use data from the existing plan. I didn't find a hot spot unit (~2yrs ago) that had an external antenna or a hardwired connection. Test the Verizon data signal strength of the location with a phone and speed test app beforehand. Make sure you get minimum 5 Mbps down/up speed or Teamviewer will be very slow and aggravating to use.

This was for a large software project install, so cost of this unit wasn't an issue. Teamviewer and MS Remote Desktop gobbles up data making it very expensive unless you have an Unlimited data plan. There are some settings in Teamviewer that can lower data usage but at a cost to resolution, color depth, etc.