Version 4.0.9!

Reaction score
This version contains some very exciting changes for enhanced video stream timing and audio/video synchronization.
The post Version 4.0.9! appeared first on Blue Iris.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Full changelog:

4.0.9 - June 15, 2015

Timing is everything and this point release is all about it. So much so that even some core video timing algorithms have been rewritten.

RTSP streams contain timing information, which up until this release, has largely been ignored in favor of a rigid timing mechanism that was better suited for analog devices and AVI files. Now, the software uses this information to more accurately determine the presentation time for each frame. Of course a camera's time clock will not match 100% with your PC, so additional calibration algorithms were required and implemented as well.

Together with RTSP timing and an ideal minimum buffer period, smoother live play should be observed.

The audio stream timing algorithm has also been re-coded with tighter video synchronization in mind.

The BVR audio playback engine used a large buffer with an asynchronous start. Revisions to this algorithm should bring playback delay to less than 50 milliseconds, more inline with what may have been observed through other playback formats.

Delay is often not a good thing, but if you wish to further fine-tune audio/video synchronization, you will find a new Delay setting on the Video tab in camera properties. 50-150 milliseconds may make a big difference if you find audio trails video in web casting etc.

It's no longer optional to use the automatic frame rate adjustment option for network IP cameras, and really should never have been optional. If the FPS setting is lower than the rate at which the camera is sending frames, the decoder does the same amount of work, and frames are dropped. This causes timing problems (there's that word again) especially with recording. If your camera cannot limit its own frame rate and you want to record at another rate, use the "alternate" frame rate setting on the Record tab.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So does this mean that we no longer have to leave BI set at 30fps when recording at 20fps in order to avoid frame drops?

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One issue so far.. I used to set my cams (within BI) to 10fps (regardless of the actual camera settings) and it worked fine. Now, it is automatically pulling the settings from the camera it appears. All of my cams are now showing about 20fps and my cpu is at 100%. Also, the automatically adjust FPS is checked in BI and can't be unchecked and changing the fps within each camera in BI has no effect.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is the intended effect. You are supposed to set frame rates in the cameras themselves. If you do this, you should find that CPU usage settles considerably lower than it used to. Of course the side effect of this change is that you can no longer stream a higher frame rate to other apps, but I suppose Ken figured this was not going to affect too many people in a negative way.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I misread the info. Updated all the cams, my CPU is now at 35-42 vs 45-55.

Would have sucked to have to manually update more than I had to do.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
would that problem with 4.0.9.1 have caused random cameras to suddenly freeze recording, and leave the last frame up on the console? I had that happen to several cameras overnight, and then again during the day today. BI wasn't recognizing the freeze as a lost signal, so it happily sat with a static image and no recording. Clicking "restart" camera fixed it, but then it popped up on other cameras.

I just updated to 4.0.9.2. Hopefully that was it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know but mine had one cam freeze like this while running 4.0.9.0. Thought it was just a fluke. If it keeps happening with 4.0.9.2 then one of us needs to tell Ken.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm hopeful that if it just started with 0.9.x that this latest update takes care of it. I've never seen it happen before, and it started (for me) last night. I have my BI on auto updates, so I don't know what day or time it went to 9.0 or 9.1 - but I forced an update about an hour ago to 9.2. It flashed too quickly for me to verify what version it was just prior - but I assume 0.9.1.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Looks like whatever problem I'm having is either unrelated to the update, or the latest one doesn't resolve the bug that started with 4.0.9.1

The circled cameras are frozen as of 5:58 AM today - well after I updated to 4.0.9.2. What's frustrating is that the frozen image remains up as though it's still a live camera - thus BI doesn't detect loss of signal and restart the feed. Frustrating. I think the next step is another email to Ken.

Attachments

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The top, right most camera is my front porch (mounted 90° to get a taller image). The camera just to the left of that is mounted on my mailbox aimed back at the house.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yeah, it helps determine if the garage door is left open. Also helps catch the punk kids who try to get into vehicles in the driveway...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Looks like 4.0.9.3 is out. I just applied it. Hopefully that'll keep these freeze-ups at bay...

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like 4.0.9.3 is out now!

Edit: Man this paging thing can be tricky at times :\... @erkme73 posted it long ago that new version was out.

Last edited by a moderator: