Version 4.1.9

Reaction score
Big changes to the network camera configuration window! *The make/model list has been broken out and will allow for*a much larger camera template database. *The process of locating cameras on your network has become much simpler with a new network camera discover window.
The post Version 4.1.9 appeared first on Blue Iris.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
4.1.9 - October 5, 2015

• Camera motion detection is now supported for the Foscam C1/C2/FI9802/3/4/5/18/20/21/26/28/31/35 V2 models

• The network IP camera configuration page has changed significantly. The previous camera make/model list has been replaced with separate data-driven "make" and "model" selection boxes. Replacing the single list which contained more than 1050 entries, this new format will make it easier to find what you are looking for, and for us to maintain this database. The generic streaming options are now found under the "generic" make.
  • Also on that page, the HTTP port number setting has been removed. If your camera uses a port number other than 80, it should now be appended to the IP address or host name. The HTTPS setting now toggles a protocol label in order to make the address entry process appear that much more like a browser address bar. Generic RTSP is now the default streaming format.
  • If you use the "Find/Inspect" button with an empty IP address box, a new camera discovery window is opened. Cameras on your local network with ONVIF capability will be enumerated. You will select one of these to use by double-clicking it (or click and OK). From here, you will be taken to the camera discovery window to complete device inspection.
  • These new camera discovery pages pages along with the data-driven camera definition changes will form the basis for a new "Add Camera Wizard" to debut soon.
  • Bug fixes and enhancement have been made to what was the "inspect now" portion of camera discovery. Previously, authentication likely failed for most devices during the inspection process.
  • We are exploring hardware video acceleration particularly in conjunction with nVIDIA graphics adaptors and this will require the use of DirectX9 and perhaps other newer technologies. Please insure that DirectX9 or newer is installed on your system prior to the 4.2 release by the end of the month.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
We are exploring hardware video acceleration particularly in conjunction with nVIDIA graphics adaptors and this will require the use of DirectX9 and perhaps other newer technologies. Please insure that DirectX9 or newer is installed on your system prior to the 4.2 release by the end of the month.

What the thought process for this?? thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We are exploring hardware video acceleration particularly in conjunction with nVIDIA graphics adaptors and this will require the use of DirectX9 and perhaps other newer technologies. Please insure that DirectX9 or newer is installed on your system prior to the 4.2 release by the end of the month.

Hardware acceleration will reduce cpu stress...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I have a spare GTX 680 just sitting around, but it will have to be an enormous improvement for me to actually put that power sucking thing into my BI server.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can someone verify the new camera discovery option works? I followed the instructions to get the window to search for ONVIF compatible cameras in my network, but nothing came up. Firewall and antivirus for the system are disabled.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can someone verify the new camera discovery option works? I followed the instructions to get the window to search for ONVIF compatible cameras in my network, but nothing came up. Firewall and antivirus for the system are disabled.
It didnt work when i tested it with hikvsion...I think it will take a few updates to work properly...
Edit: let me correct that. I did find working parameters for the camera. However it was not able to find the camera until I entered the ip address...the help file indicates that it would scan the network for cameras.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It didnt work when i tested it with hikvsion...I think it will take a few updates to work properly...
Edit: let me correct that. I did find working parameters for the camera. However it was not able to find the camera until I entered the ip address...the help file indicates that it would scan the network for cameras.
Ok good. Same for me, so is not something with my network then. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Some more info on this from Ken. I dont know what card he was using...

"I was able to decode about 1000-1500 1280x720 H.264 frames/second with the nVidia hardware ..."

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Some more info on this from Ken. I dont know what card he was using...

"I was able to decode about 1000-1500 1280x720 H.264 frames/second with the nVidia hardware ..."

Cool, I guess we can do really nice slow motion clips of the bad guys.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. That sounds like the result of a synthetic test, not a full implementation. It might be missing, for example, steps which convert the frames to RGB (or whatever format BI likes) and steps which transfer the frames from GPU memory to normal system memory. And as you say we don't know what card it was. Graphics card performance from high end to low end varies just as much as CPU performance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. That sounds like the result of a synthetic test, not a full implementation. It might be missing, for example, steps which convert the frames to RGB (or whatever format BI likes) and steps which transfer the frames from GPU memory to normal system memory. And as you say we don't know what card it was. Graphics card performance from high end to low end varies just as much as CPU performance.
True but it is promising...I doubt he is using a high end graphics card for this test..but who knows.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had my GPU do real-time h264 encoding of gameplay with actually a minimal performance loss, so I wonder if maybe modern graphics cards have h264 encoders separate from the normal graphics rendering pipeline. If that is the case (for decoding too), then the difference between a low end and high end card might not be so much for BI.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

First time looking at Blue Iris seriously for home.

The possibility of Video Acceleration, Particularly nVidia, just made me pay for a license to test it out. Looking forward to 4.2.

Thanks,
Bill

hotwire

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any idea what series of nVidia cards will support hardware acceleration in Blue Iris? Will it only be the newer 900 series, or will the older 700 series video cards work as well?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any idea what series of nVidia cards will support hardware acceleration in Blue Iris? Will it only be the newer 900 series, or will the older 700 series video cards work as well?
Likely both...in fact, it should work on other cards/integrated graphics as well ...we will have to wait and see.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Likely both...in fact, it should work on other cards/integrated graphics as well ...we will have to wait and see.
I was surprised earlier when it was suggested NVidia was gonna be better ("particularly) cause they all use Microsoft APIs, so glad that is not the case.

Is this hardware acceleration related to DXVA api? if so is the implementation native or copy back?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_Video_Acceleration

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was surprised earlier when it was suggested NVidia was gonna be better ("particularly) cause they all use Microsoft APIs, so glad that is not the case.

Is this hardware acceleration related to DXVA api? if so is the implementation native or copy back?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX_Video_Acceleration
It will probably be better with nvidia because he is using nvidia code....we are just guessing until its released...at this time, the gpu is not used at all (you can test this with gpu-z) so any use of the gpu will be a significant help.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Its too bad something from Microsoft or intel could have been used, sure I'm guessing, but this decision on improvements based on NVIDIA, which is a great company, may cause many headaches or wasted time which I think is limited.