Vertical black stripes on feed

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Got a Dahua IPC-T5842T-ZE varifocal turret. It was working fine, full screen then 2 vertical black bars appeared, one on each side of the picture. I read the vertical black lines appear when there is a aspect ratio problem but the picture was full screen with no black bars when I installed it.

The bars showed up with I rotated the camera about 5 degrees which doesn't make sense.

Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you didn't accidentally change the resolution. I wouldn't that model would be equipped with a level to auto rotate the image lol.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can you take a screenshot or something?
Let me get to the house and I can but instead of the feed taking up the whole screen, there are vertical black bars on each side of the feed. I dont know if a picture will help much more but I can post one if there is something specific you are looking for.

@wittaj, I didn't. I went back in setting to check just to make sure, it is set to 3840x1260. What did it was me physically rotating the camera in the housing about 5 degrees, very slight rotation. I don't know if that is what caused it but I noticed it after I rotated the camera. I didn't see a fine adjustment to dial in rotation, I only saw settings to do 90, 180, 270. I just needed to rotate a few degrees.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no way to digitally rotate video just a few degrees without specialized software. You're lucky to get multiples of 90 degrees honestly. A lot of older cameras didn't even have that.

Physically rotating the camera should have no effect on how it fills the screen, so something else must have changed. Which is why a picture of the problem is necessary so someone who knows better how computers work can see the significance of details that don't seem significant to you.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
This appears at night, or all the time? I'm thinking about an LED light could cause stripes.

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could be that your viewing on a browser and the standard view is similar to a 4.3 format. At the bottom left of the live view is the WH toggle, give that a click and it will expand the live video feed?

paul@austins.tv

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Indeed I was "clutching at straws". Can't wait for a screenshot. But it may ruin my excitement if I'm wrong in my diagnosis!

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I really appreciate you guys trying to help. Thank you.

So the black lines dont appear in the live feed in the NVR. It shows up in the live feed in the browser when I log in using the camera's IP. It also shows up on the TV I have the live feed piped to using HDMI.

This wasn't present at first install. I haven't changed any settings except adjusting the zoom.

I currently have 5 cameras (6 channels) piped to the TV over HDMI. This is the only camera presenting this problem. It is more noticeable when viewing the live feed on the TV.

Video from TV

Video from browser

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have experience with NVRs but I suspect the "D1" text in the corner of that frame means it is showing a D1 resolution sub stream, and not scaling it to a 16:9 aspect ratio. There may be a button to fix this like paul said.

In the web browser interface, I suspect it is trying to honor the camera's real aspect ratio instead of filling in the video player.

Normally there would be this button 1643208666397.png to let you toggle between strict aspect ratio enforcement, and trying to fill the screen better. But that isn't available on all cameras anymore I think, especially since they started moving away from requiring browser plugins.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have experience with NVRs but I suspect the "D1" text in the corner of that frame means it is showing a D1 resolution sub stream, and not scaling it to a 16:9 aspect ratio. There may be a button to fix this like paul said.

In the web browser interface, I suspect it is trying to honor the camera's real aspect ratio instead of filling in the video player.

Normally there would be this button View attachment 116769 to let you toggle between strict aspect ratio enforcement, and trying to fill the screen better. But that isn't available on all cameras anymore I think, especially since they started moving away from requiring browser plugins.
D1 is the default channel title. The second channel would be D2, on and on. This can be customized in the NVR setup.
Changing the aspect ratio is the answer.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Navigate to the display menu of the NVR then make sure D1 is not ticked within "Original Ratio" setting. Worth a try!
THANK YOU PAUL! that was it. How the %#@! did you know that??? I have been up and down both the camera and NVR trying to figure it out. I have no idea how that one channel got changed. I didn't even know those settings existed. Super weird. Appreciate it bud, thank you!

bp2008, it is just what looney2ns said, D1 is the channel title.

You guys are awesome, thanks again for the help!