Vertical camera format inside BI

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is it possible to mount a camera vertically and have it displayed properly in BI? When I rotated the image on the DAhua GUI Blue Iris did not handle it well. I was getting two half images.

Curious if anyone has some this and if the software can handle it. There’s one location that would Benefits from vertical camera angle.

Thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This doesn’t answer your question, but I remember when I rotated an existing camera in BI* it was all sorts of goofy until I disabled/re-enabled it. I’d guess that making any change to camera properties that makes those color bars pop up would probably have the same result too.

* what I mean by that is I physically rotated the lens and set the camera to correct the video .. I did not have BI correct the video

Last edited:

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have multiple dahua cameras setup vertically. BI4 auto detected and handles them properly on my end. I have them rotated 90 degrees directly in the camera, no rotation set in BI.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Several settings in the camera don't force the RTSP stream to reset, and Blue Iris handles some of these mid-stream changes worse than others. A change to the resolution is apparently one BI doesn't handle so well. BI has a simple restart camera button which will resolve such issues quickly.

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, ya mine were set before I ever added them to BI. So, cannot speak to mid-stream happenings..

Reaction score
I have a camera mounted vertically. I believe all I did was go into the camera settings then video and set the rotate setting to match how I placed the camera.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You all are so right. I needed to reboot the camera inside Blue Iris. I had rebooted it manually and inside the GUI but not BI. Works great now! Thanks! I would had given up. I did a search and didn’t see much before posting that showed it worked

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you ever need it, Blue Iris does have its own rotate function, but it is better to do it in the camera itself so your timestamp is oriented properly in direct to disk recordings.