Very low frame rate despite on BI, great frame rate on other programs. Why?

ahoyhoy

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running two cameras on Blue Iris, both of them always have a frame rate of about .5, it makes for very stuttery video. If I view the cameras on, say, my cell phone at the same time (on wifi, same network I am running BI on) the video is very smooth, about 20 frames/sec. I have Blue Iris set to 33 frames/sec but it is terribly slow. Any idea why Blue Iris seems to be killing my frame rate, while if I view simultaneously on another program it is perfectly smooth? CPU is at 40%.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What is your CPU model? Also the frame rate setting in BI 4.0.9 or higher is meaningless, don't bother setting it.

ahoyhoy

n3wb
Reaction score
CPU is a Dell T7400, I've tried it on 4 different computers, all have the same results.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is not a CPU. That is a computer. If the CPU is really underpowered, it could be maxing out certain cores and not showing 100% utilization despite being maxed out.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. Can you show a screenshot of the camera configuration window (where you entered the camera ip address into Blue Iris) for one of these?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
May need to increase the buffer on the camera feed within BI (Camera Properties > Video > Configure... > Receive Buffer). Looks like this is where @bp2008 is headed with his thinking too. If the camera is sending frames faster than BI can keep up with it may result in stuttering, jerky video.

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I was mostly curious if he might have it loading jpeg frames from the camera or something, since most modern cams have extremely limited jpeg frame encoding speed.

ahoyhoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, here's one of the two camera's config pages:

Hopefully I didn't black out any of the info you need, just don't want my IP/host info floating out there on the internet. I upped the buffer to 20MB and it didn't seem to change anything.

Attachments

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you by chance running these cameras over wifi?

Also, you blocked out the IP/Host Name in the screen shots, is that because you are remotely connecting to them (ie. not on the same network)? Otherwise, your internal IP means nothing to anyone on the Internet since it is most likely 192.168.0.xxx, same as a ton of other peoples.

ahoyhoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, running them over wifi. And yes, connecting remotely from a few hundred miles away. Thanks for the ongoing help with this!

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You have me stumped on this one. Since you are able to connect to the cameras using your phone and get smooth video, then you pretty much can eliminate the network on which the cameras are installed all the way to your BI server locations network (how do you know the frame rate on the phone? just curious). This means that there is something going on with your BI setup I would think.

I don't know a whole lot about those Foscams (assumed from settings screen shot) in BI. Hope someone else has some ideas for you though.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, running them over wifi. And yes, connecting remotely from a few hundred miles away. Thanks for the ongoing help with this!
Is it possible that the phone is connecting to the substream and therefore the fps is much higher since it uses much less bandwidth?
How is the frame rate when you login direct to the camera via a pc browser?
What is the upsteam speed at the server location?
What is the downstream at your location?