Very new to this and need some advice

GeoffP

n3wb
Reaction score
I am finally fed up with my crappy lorex system. 2nd one in about 6 years that crapped out. After hours and hours of reading I have decided to go with blue iris. My issue is trying to find a good PC for it. I have read the post a put choosing the correct hardware for blue iris and I think I found what looks good be a good computer to get the job done.
I'm wanting to run about 12+ cameras and wouldn't mind having 1080p or better coming from each camera.
Does anyone see any reason why this computer wouldn't work for this set up?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

GeoffP

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is the specs for the computer I am looking at:

Up for sale is a Dell XPS 8900 desktop.
This is a powerful desktop.
Specs as follows:

Windows 10
Intel i7 6700k 4.0ghz Processor
24GB Ram
2TB Harddrive

It is in good condition.
The price is $700 firm.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Specs as follows:

Windows 10
24GB Ram
2TB Harddrive

It is in good condition.
The price is $700 firm.
Welcome @GeoffP

That would fine for most setups. Note, many of the members are using PCs which have even less ram, and older processors for significantly less. Do check the various threads here on what others are doing as you maybe able to save some money if you're on a tight budget.

I don't know about the "deal" / price value of that system. ( fenderman and others often have a better idea of values on used PCs ) A i7-6700K is a nice processsor, it should do well.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 700 $CDN is $520 USA is a little high.
I would look around for a similar processor but with a 128 GB SSD. Then add 4 TB WD purple drive.
The memory is high you do not need 24 GB, a 8GB is ok for Windows 10 and BI.

The number of cameras is not important, the MP/SEC is what is needed. So lest say 15 camera 1080P which is about 2.1 MP recording at 15 FPS , that is (2.1 x 15 x 15) 470 MP/Second.

Look at the processors currently in use. Blue Iris Update Helper look at the cpu % keep it under 40% and the MP/second.
Pick a at least a 5th or 6th generation cpu.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Specs as follows:

Windows 10
24GB Ram
2TB Harddrive

It is in good condition.
The price is $700 firm.
This is a horrible deal even for canada.
For example, here is an 8th gen processor (this i5 is more powerful than the i7 in your posted system) for a bit more. New Sealed HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF i5 i5-8500 8GB 128GB Win 10 Desktop Warranty 193015976337 | eBay

or HP ELITEDESK 800 G2 TWR INTEL CORE i7-6700 @ 3.40GHz 16GB RAM 4TB HDD WIN 10 PRO | eBay

GeoffP

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm digging through, ebay, Amazon And local computer recyers for a computer. Im not going to lie, it all gets pretty blurred the more I read and compare from one to another

GeoffP

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I bought my system.
It's ready to pick up tomorrow.
Lenovo m93p
I7-4770 3.4ghz
128ssd
16GB DDR RAM
$599 Canadian
Hopefully I did good because it is what I have now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I bought my system.
Lenovo m93p
I7-4770 3.4ghz
128ssd
16GB DDR RAM
$599 Canadian
way overpriced. that is a 6 year old pc. Someone screwed you. Sorry. Systems with that processor go for 250-300 Canadian on ebay.

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I bought my system.
Lenovo m93p
I7-4770 3.4ghz
128ssd
16GB DDR RAM
$599 Canadian
Yikes. Can you back out of the 'deal'?

GeoffP

n3wb
Reaction score
bought it locally from a small refurbished PC store here. I saw his advertisements and went in to talk to him. I am still happy with it cost wise seeing as I don't have to wait.In all honesty, I really don't think it's far off from anything comparable on ebay or amazon with 16GB ram especially once you consider shipping and import fees. I just typed in "I7-4770 16GB Tower" on ebay thinking I made a costly mistake and from what I see, most are $500+ including shipping. So for having the year warranty and ability to just dump it in his lap if something is wrong with it..... I am happy with my purchase.
Tonight I can purchase blue iris and get started upgrading my camera system

Thanks for all your input guys
much appreciated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
bought it locally from a small refurbished PC store here. I saw his advertisements and went in to talk to him. I am still happy with it cost wise seeing as I don't have to wait.In all honesty, I really don't think it's far off from anything comparable on ebay or amazon with 16GB ram especially once you consider shipping and import fees. I just typed in "I7-4770 16GB Tower" on ebay thinking I made a costly mistake and from what I see, most are $500+ including shipping. So for having the year warranty and ability to just dump it in his lap if something is wrong with it..... I am happy with my purchase.
Tonight I can purchase blue iris and get started upgrading my camera system

Thanks for all your input guys
much appreciated
367 Canadian all day long. You dont need 16gb of ram. Even if you did, it doesnt cost 230 dollars.
HP Elitedesk 800 G1 Core i7 4770 3.4GHz 8GB RAM 500G HDD Mid-Tower PC | eBay

You could get this shipped to canada for 264 add some duties and still way cheaper.
HP 800G1 Elite Desktop SFF INTEL CORE I7 4770 3.4GHZ 8GB 500GB HDD Win 7 Pro B | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GeoffP

n3wb
Reaction score
367 Canadian all day long. You dont need 16gb of ram. Even if you did, it doesnt cost 230 dollars.
HP Elitedesk 800 G1 Core i7 4770 3.4GHz 8GB RAM 500G HDD Mid-Tower PC | eBay

You could get this shipped to canada for 264 add some duties and still way cheaper.
HP 800G1 Elite Desktop SFF INTEL CORE I7 4770 3.4GHZ 8GB 500GB HDD Win 7 Pro B | eBay
I see the first one is a pretty good deal. I could have saved $100 by going with 8GB ram with the dude I got the pc from. Still would have been more expensive than the one you posted. I could have easily bought cheaper going with a SFF like the second one you posted but I wanted a tower so I could use both my surveillance drives.
If I saw the first one you posted when I was looking at ebay, I would have ordered it but it is what it is... I will just work harder today to make up for it :)

Cheers

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see the first one is a pretty good deal. I could have saved $100 by going with 8GB ram with the dude I got the pc from. Still would have been more expensive than the one you posted. I could have easily bought cheaper going with a SFF like the second one you posted but I wanted a tower so I could use both my surveillance drives.
If I saw the first one you posted when I was looking at ebay, I would have ordered it but it is what it is... I will just work harder today to make up for it :)

Cheers
The SFF can fit 2 3.5 drives as well as an ssd. 600-367 is 233 not 100. More with the sff.