Very small PoE Cam for bird feeder?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I am looking for a very small PoE Camera for the bird feeder at the end of my yard

Currently the Armscrest IP2M-PH822B is all I can find, and its $120 which seems a little high. For that money I can just build a bigger bird feeder and stick a full size dome cam in there

Any ideas? I threw a wireless camera in there to see what it would look like and got some good results (See attached!)

image.png

toughbook

n3wb
Reaction score
There are quite a few out there, selecting quality might be the issue. Not sure the TOS here regarding posting links but google: I706-P Black $27. What it looks like is another question. Otherwise if you are handy any 'mini board camera' with wiring should also do, if you connect your own RJ45 connectors.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you, that one might be perfect. This isn't a mission critical camera, so quality doesn't have to be extraordinary

jon2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi
Here's a few to choose from Andy from empiretech may be able to help you out.. these are just a few i found with a quick search,

Personally i would go for something more like this hikvision. theys plenty of good deals around you don't have to pay a great lot for a really good birdcam,

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR don't leave me hanging - I'm reading this thread with interest... LOL
If Blue Iris is used, I can recommend to @IReallyLikePizza2 to at least consider the Sercomm Panorama Full HD IP IR LED Security Camera PoE RC4551 .

I purchased 8 new in boxes last year on eBay as a steal (IMHO) for $40 total. They're POE and I use a POE injector, because even though I run shielded CAT-5e out to the bluebird house and have it plugged into a Ubiquiti Ethernet surge protector with a driven ground rod at the base of the birdhouse fencepost, I figured it best to help contain this fierce AL lightning to a $15 injector instead of a $100 POE switch.

Anyway, it's an indoor cam, 180 degree lens, slight fisheye, has IR-cut filter, is 1080P, runs RTSP to Blue Iris (the uploaded YouTube video below is exported from BI) and has a BUILT-IN MICROPHONE!

Not sure how you intend to view it, as I cannot view it with VLC (tried unsuccessfully) but it does work great with Blue Iris. It's not ONVIF, either.

For $18 you should try one, just make sure you keep it out of the weather. If you get one and need any help I have a set up guide (it has an extensive webGUI) to optimize it and I think I've got some photos of where I used plumber's tape to make a bracket to help mount and aim it.

Because mine is crammed into a tiny birdhouse in the middle of a field with blazing sun, I opted to cut a rectangle in the plastic back to access the cam's own internal heatsink and with some double-sided foam heat-conductive tape, affixed a 1" x 4" x 3/8" , 7-finned aluminum heatsink to draw off more heat. It ran all summer in 85 to 95 F degree heat with no issues.

EDIT: Sun. 11/22, 10:10 PM CST:
Forget what I said above about not being able to get the Sercomm to stream RTSP video to VLC, as I found my error and it works!
The URL is (with 2 slashes after "rtsp:") is ==>> rtsp:/Camera-IP:554/img/media.sav

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cam videos never cease to amaze me.
try to view with mpc-hc black edition "media player classic" works on all my videos.. bloatware, adware free,......

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@bradner and @IReallyLikePizza2 ,
Forget what I said in post #8 about not being able to get the Sercomm to stream RTSP video to VLC, as I found my error and it works!
The URL is (with 2 slashes after "rtsp:") is ==>> rtsp:/Camera-IP:554/img/media.sav

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If Blue Iris is used, I can recommend to @IReallyLikePizza2 to at least consider the Sercomm Panorama Full HD IP IR LED Security Camera PoE RC4551 .

I purchased 8 new in boxes last year on eBay as a steal (IMHO) for $40 total. They're POE and I use a POE injector, because even though I run shielded CAT-5e out to the bluebird house and have it plugged into a Ubiquiti Ethernet surge protector with a driven ground rod at the base of the birdhouse fencepost, I figured it best to help contain this fierce AL lightning to a $15 injector instead of a $100 POE switch.

Anyway, it's an indoor cam, 180 degree lens, slight fisheye, has IR-cut filter, is 1080P, runs RTSP to Blue Iris (the uploaded YouTube video below is exported from BI) and has a BUILT-IN MICROPHONE!

Not sure how you intend to view it, as I cannot view it with VLC (tried unsuccessfully) bit it does work great with Blue Iris. It's not ONVIF, either.

For $18 you should try one, just make sure you keep it out of the weather. If you get one and need any help I have a set up guide (it has an extensive webGUI) to optimize it and I think I've got some photos of where I used plumber's tape to make a bracket to help mount and aim it.

Because mine is crammed into a tiny birdhouse in the middle of a field with blazing sun, I opted to cut a rectangle in the plastic back to access the cam's own internal heatsink and with some double-sided foam heat-conductive tape, affixed a 1" x 4" x 3/8" , 7-finned aluminum heatsink to draw off more heat. It ran all summer in 85 to 95 F degree heat with no issues.

EDIT: Sun. 11/22, 10:10 PM CST:
Forget what I said above about not being able to get the Sercomm to stream RTSP video to VLC, as I found my error and it works!

Thanks for sharing this! Just ordered a couple for cheap! Wife likes bird cam videos so I'll probably be building one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this! Just ordered a couple for cheap! Wife likes bird cam videos so I'll probably be building one!
Great! In that case, here's some hints:/ suggestions:
  • Default Username: administrator
  • Default Password: (leave blank)
  • Video Stream URL: /img/media.sav
  • RTSP H.264 Port 554
  • Streamings>Streaming Channel = Streaming 1
  • Streamings>Streaming 1 Settings>Video Format = H.264
  • Streamings>Streaming 1 Settings>Resolution = 1920X1080
  • Streamings>Streaming 1 Settings>Video Quality Control>Constant Bit Rate= 8.0 Mbps
  • Streamings>Streaming 1 Settings>Profile= High Profile
  • Streamings>Streaming 1 Settings>Max Framerate= 15
  • Disable all other streams.
EDIT:
FYI, the reset button for a paperclip is on the white plastic bottom about an inch from the green LED power button; the hole in front is the microphone!

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Great! In that case, here's some hints:/ suggestions:
  • Default Username: administrator
  • Default Password: (leave blank)
  • Video Stream URL: /img/media.sav
  • RTSP H.264 Port 554
  • Streamings>Streaming Channel = Streaming 1
  • Streamings>Streaming 1 Settings>Video Format = H.264
  • Streamings>Streaming 1 Settings>Resolution = 1920X1080
  • Streamings>Streaming 1 Settings>Video Quality Control>Constant Bit Rate= 8.0 Mbps
  • Streamings>Streaming 1 Settings>Profile= High Profile
  • Streamings>Streaming 1 Settings>Max Framerate= 15
  • Disable all other streams.

FYI, there's a pinhole for reset to defaults with a paperclip on the front of the cam.
Sweet!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Darn it Tony, I just now had to order two as well, for the same use. :p
Default IP?
It's set for DHCP, after it's running snoop with Fing or your router's DHCP server to see what IP was assigned; log in with that IP and the user/pass as in my post #12, assign it desired IP and make it static in the webGUI.

In BI's config look for the drop-down make "SerComm", model "OC810/RC8221 RTSP", video path is "/img/media.sav"

micoinde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dang it, just bought 3 for our feeders!!! This forum rocks.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Mine came today. Having a hell of a time getting the web GUI to come up. They show up in my router table and get an IP address but all browsers give a "site can't be reached". I can ping it and get a reply, just can't get to the UI. I'll play with it more later tonight. I've held the reset button down in an attempt to clear them but still no go.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine came today. Having a hell of a time getting the web GUI to come up. They show up in my router table and get an IP address but all browsers give a "site can't be reached". I can ping it and get a reply, just can't get to the UI. I'll play with it more later tonight. I've held the reset button down in an attempt to clear them but still no go.
Dang, never had that issue, used both IE11 and Chrome.
Maybe @looney2ns is having smoother sailing....I never saw anything for HTTP port other than 80; you did a hard reset anyway... :idk:

Last edited: