Video about 2 IP cameras using a single cable

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Quindor, Jan 1, 2019.

Share This Page

1. Quindor

Quindor Getting the hang of it

(Hopefully me posting my videos here is appreciated, if this is violating some forum guideline, please let me know!)

I shot a piece about using 2 IP cameras using a single cable in my last video about POE switches for IP cameras. I decided to remove it and release it as a single video though because it made the video too long and complex.

So here it is edited into its own video. I know this topic has been discussed before on the forum but I don't believe these splitter boxes or small active POE splitter where discussed. I've been running the passive splitter setup for about a year now without any issues and I've used the Dahua active POE switch at several events!

As always, questions and discussions are very welcome, I'll be here. :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. Q™

Q™ IPCT Contributor

Good stuff...thanks for taking the time to post it! There is 4 port splitter information here...

POE Extender Project Box

Quindor likes this.
  3. Quindor

Quindor Getting the hang of it

Oh wow, that's a very nicely built project! I'm currently using the passive method which has been working well for me too. :)

Q™ likes this.
  4. Dasstrum

Dasstrum IPCT Contributor

Any problems with crosstalk sharing the same wire in the middle? I tried a while back without a splitter. I took 2 of the 4 pairs and terminated a rj45 in the same "mode a" config. Then did the same for the other 2 pairs...

Basically 1 cable with 2 RJ45 on one end and 2 RJ45 on the other end.

So example:
    Rj45 #1
    Orange- pin1
    Orange stripe - pin 2
    Green - pin 3
    Green stripe pin 6

RJ45 #2
    Blue - pin 1
    Blue stripe - pin 2
    Brown - pin 3
    Brown stripe - pin 6

It WORKED just was getting a lot of interference.

5. tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1 Getting comfortable

I've been running two cables with the "passive splitter" over a year with no issues detected. Like Dasstrum, I make the cables myself sending two pairs to each rj45. The standard rj45s don't work for this because all the wires are needed for side-by-side positioning in the rj45. The Monoprice rj45s with inserts work well, holding the individual wires in the correct position for crimping. It's not apparent to me why the data integrity would be compromised since gigabit ethernet uses the cable in the same way. When buying the passive splitters, you need to be careful to get the correct type. The majority of them just split all 8 input lines to both outputs, making them unsuitable for this application.

c hris527 likes this.
  6. Dasstrum

Hah, I was using standard RJ45 and was very careful in lining up the wires in the right holes. It was a very tedious job but I got them crimped hah

7. Dasstrum

I got it working with Blue Iris but like I said I was getting interference problems that way. I would connect one camera and it worked perfect. No frame loss.

I plug in both cameras and it would work fine for a few minutes then I would start seeing frame loss and the camera feed would freeze. I chalked it up to crosstalk.

I'm guessing these little splitter boxes acts like a switch and only sends packets down the line one pair at a time even though both sets of wires are being used.

8. cuz

cuz Getting the hang of it

Good stuff, thanks. But I didn’t see the shopping link to the gizmos you were using. Possibly because I watched the video through Tapatalk instead of YouTube???