Video Clips combine or cut' does so WAY before time/size limit

SBN

n3wb
Reaction score
Video Clips combine or cut' does so WAY before time/size limit is reached. System is making many video files that are smaller than 3GB and less than 24 hours. (some are MUCH smaller than 3GB and much shorter that 24 hours)

Disks being used are SSD - I expect writes are plenty fast

Multi-camera system and CPU hovers around 60%
No group record triggers.

Using the latest BI version.
I have been using BI for many years.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Video Clips combine or cut' does so WAY before time/size limit is reached. System is making many video files that are smaller than 3GB and less than 24 hours. (some are MUCH smaller than 3GB and much shorter that 24 hours)

Disks being used are SSD - I expect writes are plenty fast

Multi-camera system and CPU hovers around 60%
No group record triggers.

Using the latest BI version.
I have been using BI for many years.
What size are the files...How much free space on the drive you are recording to?

SBN

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate your input!

Files sizes are varied from several K (new video clip files starting) up to 3GB.

New video clips files are recorded to 256GB SSD and I have allocated max of 200GB space to "New" video clips.

As I understand "New" video clip files are moved to Stored when 200GB room is limited (Bit bucket - first in first out)

Also set to move new video clip files to "Stored" after 2 days old.

Stored drive is 1TB HDD.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate your input!

Files sizes are varied from several K (new video clip files starting) up to 3GB.

New video clips files are recorded to 256GB SSD and I have allocated max of 200GB space to "New" video clips.

As I understand "New" video clip files are moved to Stored when 200GB room is limited (Bit bucket - first in first out)

Also set to move new video clip files to "Stored" after 2 days old.

Stored drive is 1TB HDD.
It is possible that files are cut early to move them, it will be done before the limit is reach...

SBN

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 30 cameras
I set file size limit to max of 3GB each (~90GB) or length of 24 hours max
(none seem to ever reach the 24 hour limit)
2 days should equal ~180GB and 60 files
I have allocated 200GB
I don't understand why I should ever have more than 60 files or any files less than 3GB each.

TEST:
I am going set that "New" files are moved after 1 day. (~90GB)
I should never touch the 200GB limit

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 30 cameras
I set file size limit to max of 3BG each (~90GB) or length of 24 hours max
2 days should equal ~180GB and 60 files
I have allocated 200GB
I don't understand why I should ever have more than 60 files or any files less than 3GB each.
did you actually check to see how much data is on the drive? Blue iris will not move a file if its being written to, if you have an ongoing trigger event it will likely keep writing to it.

SBN

n3wb
Reaction score
The files smaller than 3gb is confusing to me.

As I understand, say the first recording event starts @ 8 am
and the next recording event starts at 10am

Unless the file is larger than 3GB the same file should be opened/re-opened and new video data is "added" to the existing file.

New files are being created before the file size reaches 3gb and before the 24 hour limit.

Both the "New" file directory and "Stored" file directory were full (reached the limits set inside BI)
and the system seemed to be moving files from new to stored and eventually deleted from the stored directory after date limit/size limit was reached.

As a test I stopped the BI service.
I deleted all data files. (from both "new" and "stored")
I restarted BI service and repaired/regenerated the database.

Set new files to be moved after 1 day limit (individual files are limited to be 3gb)
I allocated 200GB for "new" files.

I should only have more than 30 files in the "new" directory while older files are being written to the stored directory.

Once older files in the "new" directory are moved from "new" to "stored" the files copied should be deleted from the "new" directory.

SBN

n3wb
Reaction score
My experiment is showing multiple files are being created per camera
way before either 3GB file size limit is reached and way before 24 hour limit is reached

175GB free space still available on SSD where "new" video clip files are stored.
No files have been transferred to "stored" location (as expected)

WTF?