Video Clips skipping in the middle

Reaction score
I am setting up a new Blue Iris Server (this is also my first Blue Iris setup). I have got things up and running pretty good. Currently I am only working with one test camera before we purchase more and fully set up. The camera is a Foscam F19821E. Anyway, I currently have it set up with motion trigger. At first, I was missing the begining of clips and I have adjusted the preframe buffer and it seems to be good. I also was having problems with motion detection until I turned off object detect. I may need to adjust the sensitivity more, but I am not sure. My main problem now is that once recording is triggered, about 40% of the time (total guess on percentage but it isnt EVERY time) the clip will start to record fine, but after a few seconds it will freeze and pick up a couple seconds after that. So far I have tried to adjust the keyframe to the same as the fps on the camera itself. I have uploaded an example clip as well as some of my settings. If anyone has any ideas on how to help this issue, I would be greatful.

EDIT: I cannot upload an .avi apparently.

Attachments

Reaction score
Updating now. Must have been so old it needed incremental updates. I will update the thread once updated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Okay so I have updated to the latest version. The video skipping issue still persists. Settings are exactly the same. Currently running in Demo mode until I can track down the software key. I am not sure if this problem is related to BI settings or possibly the server hardware or Windows settings, my hunch is that it is BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You could have just installed the update without reinstalling...try increasing the receive buffer to 20mb in the video configuration tab

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this camera -- or the Blue Iris computer -- on wifi?

Does the skipping occur in the live view or does it only affect the recording (trigger the cam manually to test)?
-- if it only affects the recording, try typing "17 fps" into the "Max. rate" box on the Video tab to make sure Blue Iris doesn't drop any frames when the FPS temporarily rises above 15.

What is your CPU and memory usage?

Reaction score
Receive buffer increased to 20mb. Still had a video skip after.

Just set the max rate to 17 fps (I had it set to the same as the camera fps as I thought I read that before). Waiting for a few clips to populate so I can see if it still skips and if it is only in the recording or not. I have manually triggered a few times and at least once I had a skip in the clip AND the live feed. It happened almost as soon as the trigger hit. I think the skipping is happening more often on the first trigger after a break from recording.

CPU usage is around 13% - 20% Memory usage is at 1.6 gb of 8 gb. This is a bit older of a machine but it was a higher end pc then and meets the requirements. Also, the system is set up with 4 drives with 2 RAID volumes for redundancy. I don't think that should make a difference really but perhaps BI doesnt play nice with RAID.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
BI should be fine with RAID. However if the drives are going to sleep, then it is quite possible your skipping is due to the drives having to wake up.

Reaction score
I forgot to answer about wifi, but nothing is on wifi. Everything will be hardlined POE here.

I have just changed my power options in windows to never set the drives into sleep mode. I will post back with results. I would assume if that were the case that the skipping would happen only on the recordings and not in the live window, BUT I have been wrong before and thats a hell of an assumption haha.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to say -- possibly the whole video processing pipeline will freeze if it has to wait for a hard drive?

Chrome takes a good 10 seconds to bring up the downloads footer when I start a download if it has to wake up the drive first. I really should move my downloads to one of my SSDs so I can just let the HDD slumber away.

Reaction score
After setting power settings to never sleep for hard drives, video skip persisted. I have changed the power options even more to high performance settings on the processor as well. It is just about quitting time here. I will post with results in the morning. Also, I will upload to a video hosting service and post a link of one of the skipping clips.

Thanks to all for the help so far.

Reaction score
I feel like this might be the prebuffer video playing smoothly, followed by a skip when the actual motion is triggered, followed by clear video again once the trigger is in place. Just not sure how to remedy this problem.