Video Detection vs. SMD

walleyefisher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a couple of IPC-Color4k-T cameras and one I'm using in the backyard I run the LEDs at night which attracts a lot of moths and other flying bugs. I'm only interested in triggering alerts on people in the yard but "video detection/motion detection" has to be enabled to use the SMD detection. My question is can you just set sensitivity to zero on the basic motion detection to get rid of moth alerts and still get smart detects on people?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why not use the IVS rules and select human only? Most of us have found that superior to SMD

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Video detection (standard motion detection):
Determining a change in the scene and working out a percentage change from the previous second. If it goes over a certain threshold then it's motion. Example is a moth to the camera would trigger it.

SMD - Smart Motion Detection:
Works like standard motion detection but uses AI to try and verify if it is a person or vehicle.

IVS - Intelligent Video Surveillance:
Uses AI to recognise a person/vehicle and if they travel past a 'rule' the event is triggered.
A rule can be that the person/vehicle needs to travel over this imaginary line or travel into an imaginary box to trigger. There can be parameters like only traveling in one direction to the line/box.
Some have advanced features like if a person/vehicle is within a zone for x time that it is considered 'loitering', there can also be 'abandoned' parameter.

IVS is probably your best option if you have it.
Otherwise SMD.

walleyefisher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Video detection (standard motion detection):
Determining a change in the scene and working out a percentage change from the previous second. If it goes over a certain threshold then it's motion. Example is a moth to the camera would trigger it.

SMD - Smart Motion Detection:
Works like standard motion detection but uses AI to try and verify if it is a person or vehicle.

IVS - Intelligent Video Surveillance:
Uses AI to recognise a person/vehicle and if they travel past a 'rule' the event is triggered.
A rule can be that the person/vehicle needs to travel over this imaginary line or travel into an imaginary box to trigger. There can be parameters like only traveling in one direction to the line/box.
Some have advanced features like if a person/vehicle is within a zone for x time that it is considered 'loitering', there can also be 'abandoned' parameter.

IVS is probably your best option if you have it.
Otherwise SMD.
Very helpful, thank you for explaining it clearly. I will try out IVS

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well said ^

You can also try an ivs tripwire and use a to b so you only get alerts when someone is coming instead of leaving.

walleyefisher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now I'm following the can't get AI tripwires to trigger thread. Clearly I have some tuning to do

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now I'm following the can't get AI tripwires to trigger thread. Clearly I have some tuning to do
Probably need to set the 'smart plan'.

This is a screenshot from my Dahua NVR. Icons will be the same on the camera's interface.
The lightbulb is typically IVS.
1667610209810.png

Then go to IVS.
1667610279654.png

I also highly suggest using the 'max size' and 'min size' to set the max/min size of the person/vehicle. This can help with false triggers, like the device accidently picking up a tree to look like a person.

Not all cameras/NVR have IVS that is specific to people/vehicles.
Sometimes it's just basic moving objects that get a box placed around them. I have it set to take any generic moving object for this bird nest.

1667610362966.png

walleyefisher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just so Im clear, I can turn off video detection and SMD and just use AI Smart plan with tripwires to trigger events? I've been testing with tripwires and with intrusion zones and not getting triggers. I'll keep playing with it, I cranked sensitivity up to 8 but still nothing.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes only use one and not all three. So if using IVS then turn off MD and SMD.

walleyefisher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you, I just noticed this global config tab next to the rule config tab. I setup my tripwires under rule config but I've done nothing in the global config tab. Do I need to do anything in global?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are getting false triggers or not triggering on what it should, which it sounds like for you, then yes the global configuration can be helpful as it helps calibrate it to your field of view.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok part of that is the field of view and trying to do too much with one camera.

Trying to capture movement at the edges of the field of view and at that distance can be problematic for AI as the AI wasn't configured to AI a person or car at the size they would be.

You probably need to reset up the alerts to alert based on IVS rules and which one.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't see where you're looking for the triggers: On the camera, NVR, or BI? If you're using a Dahua NVR and looking for the triggers there, I have had this exact problem several times and the only cure I found is to delete the camera from the NVR, then add it back again. Has worked first time, every time. Do you have a memory card in the camera? That's the only way I know to track triggers from the camera itself, since IVS triggers aren't recorded in the camera log.

walleyefisher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm feeding a Synology NAS - Surveillance Station. Like I said I get alerts from the basic video detection no problem.

I'm not sure if there is logging available on the camera but it sure looks like in my 2nd video example that it hit a positive trigger. @EMPIRETECANDY any ideas?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could be mistaken but I thought it was a known issue with some cameras and IVS and Surveillance Station. Let me see if I can find that thread.

walleyefisher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I also have BI because the cameras I was using in the past didnt have AI built in, so I was leaning on Deepstacks to do my AI. So I upgraded my cameras so I could just go to my NAS direct and not need to run a PC with BI on it. I dont have BI setup for the new cameras, but would be a fairly easy setup/test to rule out it being a NAS thing.

Also, I setup a bunch of trips just to test and try to get to trigger. I won't have it setup like that once I get it working.

walleyefisher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've looked at the logs on the camera and I'm not generating any alerts with IVS
PXL_20221106_010220652.MP.jpg

walleyefisher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One more note: I am running the firmware that is the latest with updates from Wildcat

walleyefisher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I give up, IVS simply doesnt trigger ever for me and field of view is more than adequate. I turned back on SMD with human and vehicle filtering and at least its alerting. The downside of course is the windy day false alarm triggers. Disappointed