Video lags behind?

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I added a couple 180 cameras and now i am seeing video lag with the stream in BI and in motion recordings. The cameras are using H265 and i use hardware alteration,

It is also making my others cams lag behind to the point the car is gone but you still see it pulling up in the video feed in BI.

I have 20 cameras CPU usage is at 10-15% using a Intel Core i7-12700K RAM usage is at 11GB, i have 32GB of RAM, 500GIG SSD , use a 10GIG network card hooked to a 10GIG switch. BI version 5.6.5.5

Had zero issues before new cameras. Should i try H264 on them?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you are not using any codec in the camera. Just general and and not Smart. Are your cameras going thru the router or are they on a VLAN or dual NIC?

H265 or H264 is fine.

Also turn off Hardware Acceleration in BI at the camera and global level. That could be contributing to your issue.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (either internal graphics on the CPU or an added GPU) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not offloading to a GPU.

It is best to just use the GPU now for AI and use substreams for BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I added a couple 180 cameras and now i am seeing video lag with the stream in BI and in motion recordings. The cameras are using H265 and i use hardware alteration,

It is also making my others cams lag behind to the point the car is gone but you still see it pulling up in the video feed in BI.

I have 20 cameras CPU usage is at 10-15% using a Intel Core i7-12700K RAM usage is at 11GB, i have 32GB of RAM, 500GIG SSD , use a 10GIG network card hooked to a 10GIG switch. BI version 5.6.5.5

Had zero issues before new cameras. Should i try H264 on them?
There are many threads dealing with lag. Most of the time its a poor network setup or improper settings on hardware acceleration. Search for those threads.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you are not using any codec in the camera. Just general and and not Smart.

H265 or H264 is fine.

Also turn off Hardware Acceleration in BI at the camera and global level. That could be contributing to your issue.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (either internal graphics on the CPU or an added GPU) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

I am using HA on all my systems with no lag. Its likely using a specialized mode like vpp without understanding its severe limitations that causes problems.

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Make sure you are not using any codec in the camera. Just general and and not Smart. Are your cameras going thru the router or are they on a VLAN or dual NIC?

H265 or H264 is fine.

I will turn off hardware alteration and see what happens. My cameras are going into a switch. I don't use a VLAN or dual NIC cards cameras are blocked by firewall.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I will turn off hardware alteration and see what happens. My cameras are going into a switch. I don't use a VLAN or dual NIC cards cameras are blocked by firewall.
Using HA simply set to intel will not cause lag. Many users incorrectly set to intel +vpp.
Is the blue iris pc connected to that same switch or is it connected to the router.

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using HA simply set to intel will not cause lag. Many users incorrectly set to intel +vpp.
Is the blue iris pc connected to that same switch or is it connected to the router.
BI PC is connected to a 10GIG Switch, all my cameras are connected to a 24 port poe switch.

BI is bringing my PC to a craw everything is super slow....browser takes forever to open, task manger takes 20 sec to open web pages take for ever to load.

Exit BI and stop BI from ruining as a service everything works fine. What gives

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI PC is connected to a 10GIG Switch, all my cameras are connected to a 24 port poe switch.

BI is bringing my PC to a craw everything is super slow....browser takes forever to open, task manger takes 20 sec to open web pages take for ever to load.

Exit BI and stop BI from ruining as a service everything works fine. What gives
Again, we need clarification, how are these switches setup? are they both connected to each other or are the both connected to the router?
No idea what gives but its certainly a setup error.

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Again, we need clarification, how are these switches setup? are they both connected to each other or are the both connected to the router?
No idea what gives but its certainly a setup error.
A setup error? Everything has worked fine for years before i added a few 180 cameras. Nothing else has changed.

A switch is not going to slow down a pc to where windows are slow to open and respond. Exit BI as a service and windows works.

My router connects to the 24 port poe switch which connects to my 10 GIG switch.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A setup error? Everything has worked fine for years before i added a few 180 cameras. Nothing else has changed.

A switch is not going to slow down a pc to where windows are slow to open and respond. Exit BI as a service and windows works.

My router connects to the 24 port poe switch which connects to my 10 GIG switch.
Okay I guess you are able to resolve this yourself because of your expertise so why ask? Many of us are running 180 cameras with no issue. We need to rule out the basics until we get to the more detailed possible issues but since you know better hopefully it'll work out for you..

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, if the server itself if it's choking, then likely something else. Guessing you're seeing CPU jump way up. Try taking one of the new cams off and see if you have the same.

Assuming that you have substreams set up for both new and old cams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, if the server itself if it's choking, then likely something else. Guessing you're seeing CPU jump way up. Try taking one of the new cams off and see if you have the same.

Assuming that you have substreams set up for both new and old cams.
No the op indicates the cpu is low. We have seen this exact issue with network errors. I have some ideas but this putz is not getting anymore help.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If the Poe Switch is not Gigabit on all ports, you could be seeing slow throughput once you added more traffic to that device.
I got a surprise like that, with slow loading GUI pages, laggy audio, and glitchy feeds, when I met or exceeded the thru-put of the Yuanley 10/100 switch with 2 NVR"S

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I went back to the more power hungry Cisco gigabit POE switch but things self-unfucked when I did.

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I only have the issue when i run BI as a windows service.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you are saying you do not have the issue of video lag if you have the console up and running but not as a service or the computer gets responsive if BI not running at all?

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So you are saying you do not have the issue of video lag if you have the console up and running but not as a service or the computer gets responsive if BI not running at all?
Correct, it does not make any sense. I do not use virus software. btw

aMike101

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm starting to think it's a hardware issue on my PC. I have multiple computers and i installed BI on a different computer and it does not have the same issue.

Both computers run the same version of windows and BI and imported the same BI settings the only difference in the two computers are hardware.