Video live and recorded jittery

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I currently have just the only camera connected to Blue Iris recording 24/7.
The camera is a Dahua IPC-HDW5831R-ZE from Aliexpress
The computer is a HP Elitedesk with an i5-6500 with 4GB of ram running on windows 10
BI show about 10% CPU usage and about 650MB of ram usage.

The setup has been running for 3 days now and I just noticed today this jittery live/recorded video.
Is this an issue with Blue Iris or the camera? Im assuming its BI and not the camera. When I came back in the house and opened the live feed, it still showed my son and I waiting for the bus.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this licensed or demo version of BI ?

Are you running bi as a service ?

Are you looking at an event or the live screen, click escape to get live screen

What is the camera what is the frame rate ?
Iframe value ?
Resolution ?
Bit rate type ?
Quality setting ?
Encode mode?
Smart codec ?

From BI provide screen shots of camera properties
. Record tab
.video tab
. Video tab , configure button.... Network IP camera configuration.

Last edited:

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this licensed or demo version of BI ?

Are you running bi as a service ?

Are you looking at an event or the live screen, click escape to get live screen

What is the camera what is the frame rate ?
Iframe value ?
Resolution ?
Bit rate type ?
Quality setting ?
Encode mode?
Smart codec ?

From BI provide screen shots of camera properties
. Record tab
.video tab
. Video tab , configure button.... Network IP camera configuration.
Are you running bi as a service ? - Yes

Are you looking at an event or the live screen, click escape to get live screen - Both

What is the camera ? - See first Post
what is the frame rate ? - 14 FPS
Iframe value ? - 28
Resolution ? - 3840 x 2160
Bit rate type ? - 4096 Kb/s
Quality setting ?
Encode mode? - H.264H
Smart codec ? - Off

When I opened BI it informed me there was an update, So I updated and it restarted and the jitters are currently gone, but I don't want them to return either.

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 9.30.53 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 9.31.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 9.32.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 9.37.47 AM.png

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you were on Blue Iris 4.8.0.0, that had a stability problem that could have caused exactly what you describe. It was fixed yesterday with 4.8.0.1.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As bp2008 indicated, make sure you are on the latest version of BI

If the problem is still occuring, try this test.
1. turn off the sub stream
2. set bit rate type to VBR
3. set max bit rate above 6000 Kb/s.
4. reboot the camera

From the BI windows command prompt machine Ping the camera. What is the time of the response in ms (milliseconds)

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes I was on BI version 4.8.0.0 and updated this morning to 4.8.0.1
Also changed recommended settings
Code:
C:\Users\James>ping 192.168.10.100

Pinging 192.168.10.100 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.10.100: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.10.100:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
Thanks for the assistance as I am just getting started with BI and IP cameras

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Alright, so I got an "Alert" on my phone yesterday as I was backing into my driveway, so I decided to check and make sure it was operating correctly, well it wasn't. The live view of the camera had almost a 2 minute delay. I had gotten out of my truck along with my family then walked into my house and sat down at my computer opened up Blue Iris only to watch myself getting out of my truck on the live view.
Upon resetting the camera in BlueIris the video was back to displaying true live video.

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is this more of a issue with my computer? Seems a delay slowly builds over time which also cause the recorded video to bee choppy or have a slow motion look to them.
If I right click on the camera in BlueIris and choose restart camera, the video comes back to actual live and more smooth video.
Looking for suggestions on correcting this issue, but since this is my first time using the software and I'm only experimenting with one camera I don't know which is causing the issue.

I did just update the software to the latest version again... maybe that will help...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this more of a issue with my computer? Seems a delay slowly builds over time which also cause the recorded video to bee choppy or have a slow motion look to them.
If I right click on the camera in BlueIris and choose restart camera, the video comes back to actual live and more smooth video.
Looking for suggestions on correcting this issue, but since this is my first time using the software and I'm only experimenting with one camera I don't know which is causing the issue.

I did just update the software to the latest version again... maybe that will help...
this usually is a result of a network issue. Is your blue iris pc plugged into the same switch as the cameras or into the router?

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
this usually is a result of a network issue. Is your blue iris pc plugged into the same switch as the cameras or into the router?
Yes the pc and camera are plugged into the same switch. I have a network card with 2 interfaces and on the pc one port connects to a unifi switch that is connected to my main network. The other port is connected to a POE switch that is connected to just the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the pc and camera are plugged into the same switch. I have a network card with 2 interfaces and on the pc one port connects to a unifi switch that is connected to my main network. The other port is connected to a POE switch that is connected to just the camera.
try using a single interface and see if it changes.

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
try using a single interface and see if it changes.
ok, just a question here regarding using a single interface.
The camera is setup with an ip of 192.168.10.100 and it plugged into a POE switch which has 2 non POE ports, the computer is connected to one of those.
the the main network is on 192.168.1.0/24, so the BI computer is connected to the main switch and is connectable on the LAN via this connection.
this is why I have the 2 interface connections.
I set it up this way to separate the camera for the main network and the internet.
so I believe the only way to use one interface here would be to change the camera IP and then connect the POE switch to the main switch and then have the BI computer connected to the main switch for LAN access.
I remote connect to the BI computer from my main personal computer.
is this what you would suggest?

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the cpu load on the bi PC ? Does the cpu load increase over time ?
As bi starts to slow is there a increase in memory usage ?
Do you have hardware acceleration enabled in BI.

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the cpu load on the bi PC ? Does the cpu load increase over time ?
As bi starts to slow is there a increase in memory usage ?
possibly. when BI first loads is show CPU usage of 10% and memory usage of 650M and I just checked after a couple days it is showing CPU usage 35% and memory usage 950M

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
T3CH
Are you running BI as a service ?
Are you running the demo version of BI or the full license version?
When reporting the CPU do you have the BI live display up ?

Please provide a screen shot of the Windows task manager / processes display, sorted by most CPU time at the top, include columns, image name CPU, CPU time, Memory private working set , page faults. Another screen shot of the window task manager Performance.

Not positive from the information. But may be a bad Intel driver, memory leak.

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
T3CH
Are you running BI as a service ?
Are you running the demo version of BI or the full license version?
When reporting the CPU do you have the BI live display up ?

Please provide a screen shot of the Windows task manager / processes display, sorted by most CPU time at the top, include columns, image name CPU, CPU time, Memory private working set , page faults. Another screen shot of the window task manager Performance.

Not positive from the information. But may be a bad Intel driver, memory leak.
Are you running BI as a service ? YES
Are you running the demo version of BI or the full license version? Licensed version Release 4.8.2.0 x64
When reporting the CPU do you have the BI live display up ? YES
Do you have hardware acceleration enabled in BI. YES
Capture3.PNG

here are 2 task manager screen shots, sorry if there not exactly what your looking for, I haven't used windows since XP
Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CPU and Memory looks good. Let it run for a day or so and see if the memory is growing... another process screen shot.

Is the jittery video on the BI console ?
Is it on your phone connected to home wifi ?
Is it on the phone connected to the cell network ?

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
CPU and Memory looks good. Let it run for a day or so and see if the memory is growing... another process screen shot.

Is the jittery video on the BI console ?
Is it on your phone connected to home wifi ?
Is it on the phone connected to the cell network ?
its on the BI console and if I watch a clip on my phone that was recorded with the issue it also plays the same jittery way on my phone as well.

One thing that puzzles me is in the BI console while viewing live feed there is about a 5-6 second frame changing delay. Like its showing 1 frame of video every 5-6 seconds and I can see this by the time stamp changing every 5-6 seconds. This only happens in the BI console. If I view live feed on my phone its smooth video and if I access the web interface its smooth video, but I am accessing the BI computer using remote access.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the bi console what screen are you on ? The bi cameras, screen does not update continuously. This is the screen with the icons on the top, also the event bar at the bottom. Double Click on the picture to get a true live view.