Video security system diagram

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm in the beginning phase, of building my system and I'm a beginner as well.
I already have a POE+ switch, a couple of cameras and a PC, with BI.
I need to run wires throughout of my house, but I'm a bit confused on what should connect to what and what should I avoid doing?
Any help, would be appreciated.

Tibor

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Direct runs from all camera locations to a central “data closet” location in your house. For camera placement advice, see the first couple pages of the cliff notes link in my signature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the beginning phase, of building my system and I'm a beginner as well.
I already have a POE+ switch, a couple of cameras and a PC, with BI.
I need to run wires throughout of my house, but I'm a bit confused on what should connect to what and what should I avoid doing?
Any help, would be appreciated.

Tibor
Hi Tibor,

Check out the notes and let us know if it makes sense to you and please ask if something is not clear enough in the notes.

In general, run N+1+ cables to each location, where N=number of devices you want to bring cat5e/cat6 line to. Leave a bit of extra slack on the cable on both ends, just in case you need to adjust placement a little. Have someone help you with the pulls to avoid kinks in the cable. Do not run cables next to or along romex / NM electrical wiring. ( OK if the electrical is in EMT conduit, that will shield it ). Do not run cat5e/cat6 cables next to motors / florescent lighting. Do not over squeeze cable with tie downs ( like zip ties )... it's not hard, just remember the wires are a lot thinner than 12-3 electrical wiring so you have to take more care with the cable to prevent breakage.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
So, if I understand correctly, PC needs to have two network connections. One goes to the POE switch(different subnet, not secured) and the other one, to the router.
From the switch, each camera gets it's own Cat6 cable.
PC is in my entertainment cabinet. I would also like, to hard wire all my electronics there. Should I use a regular switch there and connect all the devices to it, including the PC and run only one cable to the router?
POE switch is in the garage, router in master bedroom's closet and PC, is in the living room.
Somebody, will help me run these cables, but I have to tell him, which cable goes where.
Most of my cameras, are around the garage and porch, which is next to the garage, it is easier to install this way.

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You understand correctly. The only extreme suggestion I can think of is if you can have a central wiring closet location where every drop runs and connected to patch panels, then you could make the interconnections there. For example, NVR to PoE Switch. You can put a switch in your entertainment cabinet for the other electronics; I have many switches around my house serving similar duties.

Man, I wish I knew then what I know now!

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
From the PC(I call it, Eagle Eye ;)) two network cables come out, one goes to the garage, to the POE switch and the other, to a local switch and from there, another long run to the the router, right?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From the PC(I call it, Eagle Eye ;)) two network cables come out, one goes to the garage, to the POE switch and the other, to a local switch and from there, another long run to the the router, right?
Hi Tibimakai,

That is one option - and a good one, makes the PC like a NVR. Another option is to leave the PC only connected to the PoE switch and thus cameras on the switch. ( i.e. isolate your camera network from your internet connected network )

( Though if you do it this way it is harder to keep your PC auto updated with patches - but that should be OK for a Blue Iris machine )

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tibimakai,

That is one option - and a good one, makes the PC like a NVR. Another option is to leave the PC only connected to the PoE switch and thus cameras on the switch. ( i.e. isolate your camera network from your internet connected network )

( Though if you do it this way it is harder to keep your PC auto updated with patches - but that should be OK for a Blue Iris machine )
Matt, I believe he is trying to implement the blue Iris server with dual LAN capability.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have read the dual LAN setup, from the document referenced above.
I have the BI PC in the living room(I'm not sure how many LANs has yet, need to look it up), Asus AC3100 router in the master bedroom and the POE switch in the garage.
I'm trying to connect them all together, but I'm not sure, how to do that.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have just looked it up now and it is an MSI B150 Gaming M3 motherboard, so it has only one LAN.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Matt, I believe he is trying to implement the blue Iris server with dual LAN capability.

Yes, I figured that was the case due to the question - just wanted to also be clear if there are lurkers that there are various options on all IP setups, in case anyone sees different instructions and wonders.

I have just looked it up now and it is an MSI B150 Gaming M3 motherboard, so it has only one LAN.
Hi Tibimakai,

That is fairly typical. You probably have to get an ethernet card to get that extra port - I like intel based ones as I have had less compatibility issues with them.