Video Signal Issues

vashwood

n3wb
Reaction score
Just set up 8 hikvision cameras with Blue Iris.

Have a little problem with the video signal that can be seen in the attached photo. Every so often each of the 8 would go into that mode (not sure how else to describe). Not sure what it is, but any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just set up 8 hikvision cameras with Blue Iris.

Have a little problem with the video signal that can be seen in the attached photo. Every so often each of the 8 would go into that mode (not sure how else to describe). Not sure what it is, but any help would be appreciated.
post your camera video settings...also when this happens, log into the camera web interface and see if it is the same.

vashwood

n3wb
Reaction score
I've attached some screen shots of my camera settings. It is pretty much the same for all 8 cameras. I also just verified that when I see the artifact, I also see it on my remote interface.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've attached some screen shots of my camera settings. It is pretty much the same for all 8 cameras. I also just verified that when I see the artifact, I also see it on my remote interface.
post a pic of the cameras web interface video settings....
if you see it in the cameras interface its a camera issue not a blue iris issue.
Note that your setting for recording "continuous +triggered" is likely not what you think it is and wont record properly...if you want to record continuously but also trigger alerts set it to continuous and setup the motion detection...

vashwood

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry. I misunderstood your original question. I was looking at the Blue Iris webserver interface. If I look at my cameras interface, I don't see the artifacts when it happens.

***as I was taking screenshots, I noticed a van drive by, then it started flickering again. I don't know if that's coincidence or not ***

I've attached photos of my cameras settings.

Thanks for the suggestion on recording settings. I updated per the attached screen shot, and kept my motion settings in the screenshot about.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry. I misunderstood your original question. I was looking at the Blue Iris webserver interface. If I look at my cameras interface, I don't see the artifacts when it happens.

***as I was taking screenshots, I noticed a van drive by, then it started flickering again. I don't know if that's coincidence or not ***

I've attached photos of my cameras settings.

Thanks for the suggestion on recording settings. I updated per the attached screen shot, and kept my motion settings in the screenshot about.
ok also post your blue iris camera properties>video>configuration settings
what is your cpu consumption?
How are the cameras connected? ethernet? premade cable?

vashwood

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm attaching the config settings. My CPU consumption has been 30%-40%. My cameras are hardwire POE using ethernet cables.

Attachments

Last edited:

vashwood

n3wb
Reaction score
I also should have mentioned, that it doesn't stay that way in Blue Iris. It reverts back to a "normal" video after 10ish seconds

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I also should have mentioned, that it doesn't stay that way in Blue Iris. It reverts back to a "normal" video after 10ish seconds
Did you make the cables yourself? if so did you use the 568b standard? the issue may be related to packet loss...
side note, you dont have to x out your cameras ip address, its a local address that no one can use for anything...its the wan ip that you dont want to post...
also try using hikvision rtsp from the drop down and increase the receive buffer to 20mb..

vashwood

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you make the cables yourself? if so did you use the 568b standard? the issue may be related to packet loss...
side note, you dont have to x out your cameras ip address, its a local address that no one can use for anything...its the wan ip that you dont want to post...
also try using hikvision rtsp from the drop down and increase the receive buffer to 20mb..
My house was actually prebuilt with cat5e cables. I'll try changing "generic" to "hikvision".

I'm still not sure if it's coincidence, but I am starting to notice the video feed transition to that noisy artifact in the first post when there is motion. I've seen it a lot now when a bug is flying around or when a car drives by or someone walks by.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My house was actually prebuilt with cat5e cables. I'll try changing "generic" to "hikvision".

I'm still not sure if it's coincidence, but I am starting to notice the video feed transition to that noisy artifact in the first post when there is motion. I've seen it a lot now when a bug is flying around or when a car drives by or someone walks by.
what exact version of blue iris are you using? do you have hardware acceleration enabled?

vashwood

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick Test. I tried turning off motion triggering, but it still happened when I car drove by. (After I changed the setting to Hikvision RTSP)

I am using 4.6.4.12 x64. In options-> Cameras, I have Intel HD hardware acceleration (restart) = Yes (H.264).

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick Test. I tried turning off motion triggering, but it still happened when I car drove by. (After I changed the setting to Hikvision RTSP)

I am using 4.6.4.12 x64. In options-> Cameras, I have Intel HD hardware acceleration (restart) = Yes (H.264).
Set it to no for testing purposes.... Let's see what happens..
What are your system specs, what processor are you using? Do you have a discrete video card in there?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
...and it just happened again with HW acceleration turned off
Setup a constant ping to the camera and see if there is packet loss...also try steaming to vlc via rtsp and see if the same happens...
Are you running the laptop over WiFi?

vashwood

n3wb
Reaction score
Let me try what you suggested.

I pinged one of the cameras for a few minutes and there hasn't been any packet loss. I also upped the buffer to 20 MB (forgot to do it earlier). I haven't seen that video loss artifact yet. A car happened to drive by though, and video got choppy/froze for about 10s-15s then re-adjusted itself. It used to show that artifact previously.

But I am running the laptop over a gigabit Ethernet.

vashwood

n3wb
Reaction score
Started seeing the problems again. Seems to be related to motion. I'll see if I can figure out how to use RSTP with VLC and try that.

I did also try bypassing blue iris and into the hikvision iOS app and I don't see any of the issues

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Started seeing the problems again. Seems to be related to motion. I'll see if I can figure out how to use RSTP with VLC and try that.

I did also try bypassing blue iris and into the hikvision iOS app and I don't see any of the issues
the hikvision app uses different protocols, that is why its important to test with vlc or similar that can pull the rtsp stream.

vashwood

n3wb
Reaction score
I just tested it. I ran RTSP on the same computer with VLC. A car drove by and triggered blue iris as described above. The VLC window with the same RTSP stream was fine