Video started recording too late, Can I fix it

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a Reolink 411 wifi and it caught a fox on my front yard this morning. BI sent an email to me with a pic halfway down the walkway. Then the alert video recording started when the fox was half out of frame. What is going on with that delay? Can it be fixed?

THANKS
Pete

fox.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys I have a Reolink 411 wifi and it caught a fox on my front yard this morning. BI sent an email to me with a pic halfway down the walkway. Then the alert video recording started when the fox was half out of frame. What is going on with that delay? Can it be fixed?

THANKS
Pete

View attachment 11706
Yes. The reolink does not have a setting for iframe intervals (unless they added that). This is a huge problem when recording direct to disk since the recording only starts with a new frame. To combat this you must lower the iframe interval (setting it to match the frame rate is a good starting point)...further you must set your pretrigger frames in the record tab to at LEAST double your fps. I would set it to 3-4 times.

Reaction score
Thanks I'm gonna test it. The one thing I am confused on is with the iframe. I know the camera doesn't have it. I set the cam to 20 fps. I set BI at 20 fps also. And I changed the pretrigger. Where do I find the iframe interval?
p

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks I'm gonna test it. The one thing I am confused on is with the iframe. I know the camera doesn't have it. I set the cam to 20 fps. I set BI at 20 fps also. And I changed the pretrigger. Where do I find the iframe interval?
p
The camera doesnt have that setting.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a question concerning the BI Pre-tigger and the amount of CPU resources it gobbles up.

I set all my cams to a 40 Pre-tigger setting, but now my CPU spends quite a bit of time between the 80-96 percent untilzation during an average day. During the night it tends to drop below 30 percent.

I'm running 10 cams. (8) @ 720p and (2) @ 1080p. BI is set to only record on triggered events. My CPU is an i7-2600K with HD active.

Ive noticed that if I remove the Pre-tigger from the cams my CPU untilzation will drop significantly. I'm talking 40-55 percent untilzation during the day.

This concerns me because at some point I would like to replace all my cams with higher resolutions models, but I'm worried my CPU isn't up to handling the task when using Pre-tigger.

Should I be looking at replacing my MoBo and CPU or I'm a missing something that might help my current machine handle higher res cameras in the future?

Tiger

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question concerning the BI Pre-tigger and the amount of CPU resources it gobbles up.

I set all my cams to a 40 Pre-tigger setting, but now my CPU spends quite a bit of time between the 80-96 percent untilzation during an average day. During the night it tends to drop below 30 percent.

I'm running 10 cams. (8) @ 720p and (2) @ 1080p. BI is set to only record on triggered events. My CPU is an i7-2600K with HD active.

Ive noticed that if I remove the Pre-tigger from the cams my CPU untilzation will drop significantly. I'm talking 40-55 percent untilzation during the day.

This concerns me because at some point I would like to replace all my cams with higher resolutions models, but I'm worried my CPU isn't up to handling the task when using Pre-tigger.

Should I be looking at replacing my MoBo and CPU or I'm a missing something that might help my current machine handle higher res cameras in the future?

Tiger
Are the cameras set to record direct to disk? When you say HD active do you mean hardware acceleration?

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah... It's that hardware acceleration thing you mentioned to me awhile back. When you say direct-to-disc, I assume you mean the video is being recorded on my PC HD right? Yes they are. I'm piggy backing (what ever you might call it) video signal from two dedicated NVR's. Those are managing 24/7 full recording of 8 of my cams. I'm just pulling signal and having BI record all the triggered events for ease of access/review from my PC.

Tiger

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you say direct-to-disc, I assume you mean the video is being recorded on my PC HD right?
Tiger
No, there is a special setting for each camera in the record tab>video file format. Direct to disk...do that and your cpu consumption will drop significantly.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, there is a special setting for each camera in the record tab>video file format. Direct to disk...do that and your cpu consumption will drop significantly?

NO SHIT! :nuts:

I just changed that on my two of my higer res cams and the load dropped at least 20 plus, maybe even more. It's always fluctuatiing.

So what exactly is the differance here? For the last few years all my cams have been using what I Think was the default setting of "Re-encode with settings, blah, blah, blah."

Will the files be somewhere else now and not an MPEG, etc?

I assume there will be no loss in recorded quality either?

TiGeR

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is Bloody Amazing. For the FIRST TIME my PC is below 40 % (during day recordings) with all cameras now set at direct-to-disc and fully using Pre-trigger.

Thanks a Million @fenderman. I had no idea and now I can see value in keeping the old machine purring.

Tiger

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is Bloody Amazing. For the FIRST TIME my PC is below 40 % (during day recordings) with all cameras now set at direct-to-disc and fully using Pre-trigger.

Thanks a Million @fenderman. I had no idea and now I can see value in keeping the old machine purring.

Tiger
No problem. With a bit of tweeking your pc should run in the teens. What FPS are the cameras running at? Are you recording to BVR file format?

Also a few notes about direct to disk.
1) You should set the iframe interval in the camera itself, for match your fps. Blue iris will only begin recording on a new frame. This also prevents jitter/ghosting of the image.
2) Set the pretrigger to 2-4 times fps.
3) The time/date overlay will not longer record. You need to use the cameras own overlay (this is how NVR's and other vms work)...You can use the timesynctool (search forum) to run your own timeserver on the BI machine to sync all cams). Or if your record to bvr format, you can add the timestamp when you export the video.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi @fenderman

My 720p’s are averaging about 25 FPS during the day and about 12.5 FPS at night.

Overall the “Direct-to-Disc” option was so good that I increased my other 2 cameras to their 5MP 2688x1512 Resolution. These two are only getting 15 FPS during the day at this setting, but it looks pretty damn good on recorded playback.

Thank you for also pointing out the Time and Label overlay info.

I got all my cameras setup to display this now vs. using the BI overlay options.

When you say “Set the pretigger 2-4 times fps” Are you just suggesting multiplying the cameras FPS X 10 2-4 times? I set most cams to 60 Pre-trigger now and I’m quite happy. No more missed action, etc.

As of this writing my CPU is purring at a 35% utilization on average. The CPU core temps went from about 80.C plus to a NEW/Much lower average of about 50.C. This is quite a change in CPU generated heat.

I also noticed a HUGE difference using IE now. Before the change BI was just sucking the life from my machine.

Again….

Thank you so very much. I hope others are reading this thread as well and can also benefit from this. It’s a real game changer.

Tiger

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @fenderman

My 720p’s are averaging about 25 FPS during the day andabout 12.5 FPS at night.

Overall the “Direct-to-Disc” option was so good that Iincreased my other 2 cameras to their 5MP 2688x1512 Resolution. These two are only getting 15 FPS during the day at this setting, but it looks pretty damn good on recorded playback.

Thank you for also pointing out the Time and Label overlay info.

I got all my cameras setup to display this now vs. using the BI overlay options.

When you say “Set the pretigger 2-4 times fps” Are you just suggesting multiplying the cameras FPS X 10 2-4 times? I set most cams to 60 Pre-trigger now and I’m quite happy. No more missed action, etc.

As of this writing my CPU is purring at a 35% utilization on average. The CPU core temps went from about 80.C plus to a NEW/Much lower average of about 50.C. This is quite a change in CPU generated heat.

I also noticed a HUGE difference using IE now. Before the change BI was just sucking the life from my machine.

Again….

Thank you so very much. I hope other are reading this thread as well and can also benefit from this. It’s a real game changer.

Tiger
I would lower the fps on all cams to 15fps....you can also lower the live view fps to 10...blue iris options>cameras
If your fps is 10 then I would set pretrigger to 40..(or 4 times fps)...at 15, 60 is a good number.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would lower the fps on all cams to 15fps....you can also lower the live view fps to 10...blue iris options>cameras
If your fps is 10 then I would set pretrigger to 40..(or 4 times fps)...at 15, 60 is a good number.
@fenderman

I'm doing this today with those 720p cams.

Question(s)

1#) The camera default settings are 25 FPS / 20 FPS Sub Stream. Does Sub-Steam mean relate to both live view and mobile device view? I would like to maintain my live view on BI to the Max of the newly lowered FPS, unless of course you have discovered no benefit in doing so.

2#) If I change my Sub Stream to 15 fps should I also change it to the same inside the BI Camera settings for live preview?

Tiger

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman

I'm doing this today with those 720p cams.

Question(s)

1#) The camera default settings are 25 FPS / 20 FPS Sub Stream. Does Sub-Steam mean relate to both live view and mobile device view? I would like to maintain my live view on BI to the Max of the newly lowered FPS, unless of course you have discovered no benefit in doing so.

2#) If I change my Sub Stream to 15 fps should I also change it to the same inside the BI Camera settings for live preview?

Tiger
The subsream is irrelevant to BI

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The subsream is irrelevant to BI
Perhaps for someone that knows what it means. :sad2:

Can you provide clarity to the above questions? Think of this as BI Basic's 101 for Dummies. :shame:

Tiger

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps for someone that knows what it means. :sad2:

Can you provide clarity to the above questions? Think of this as BI Basic's 101 for Dummies. :shame:

Tiger
Blue iris pulls only the mainstream unless you specifically set it to...so simply ignore your cameras subsream settings

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue iris pulls only the mainstream unless you specifically set it to...so simply ignore your cameras subsream settings
Cameras generally have the capability to simultaneously transmit two (2) distinct video streams Tiger: the main stream and the sub-stream.