[videos] [install] LOREX (Dahua) LNR6826K 4K System from Costo

CPO

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought my first IP Camera system and will be installing it within the next few weeks. I've never done this before, so I am learning as I go. I've spent a lot of time researching and learning (which is my MO) and found myself here on ipcamtalk a lot. I figured this was the perfect place to document this journey in hopes that it is helpful for others (and to be selfish, helpful for me).

I posted my first video for this install:

I don't expect to make an exhaustive step-by-step howto, since everyone's situation is going to be different, but I do plan on showing how I am doing things, why, and any little tips and tricks I learn along the way (which I'll likely learn from you guys! lol).

I'm sure I'll have some questions...but for now, I am waiting on parts to arrive.

I have the camera system, obviously, but I also ordered the following:

* 6x Lorex junction boxes - so that I can conceal and protect the wiring connectors, and it should allow me to run cables without ever needing a hole larger in diameter than the CAT 5e cable. I don't have to stuff/hide/shove the bulky stuff anywhere since it will all roll up into the junction box. They were $25 each, but taking advantage of the Black Friday 25% off code, it ended up being only $120 shipped for 6 of them. It was free shipping, but I did have to pay tax. Boo!
(Outdoor Junction Box for 4 Screw Base Cameras)

* 1000FT Cat5e Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 350MHz, 24AWG, White - I got this from Monoprice, but after shipping charges, it ends up being $80, which is the same as ordering from Amazon or probably other places. I decided to go CAT 5e simply because it should be easier to work with and I couldn't find anything super compelling that convinced me it was worth spending the extra money to upgrade to Cat6.
(http://amzn.to/2A9blW7)

Next I need to pick up some RJ45 plugs, and related tools, to build my own cables. I haven't decided yet if I want to terminate into a wall plate and make shorter patch cables from the wall to the NVR, or if I want to just run the camera cables straight to the NVR and use a wall plate with an opening to run multiple cables through. Any recommendations are welcome.

Then, I also need to get some wiring running supplies. I'm going to get them from Harbor Freight.... a wire snake and also those flexible fiberglass rods.

I believe this is enough for my very first post here.

If you have questions or suggestions, feel free to chime in. I am NOT an expert. I am a n00b.

System info:
Lorex Kit Model Number: LNR6826K
Costco Item Number: 1163871
Price When Purchased: $799.99
LNR6108-N - 1x 8 port POE NVR. rated for 4K cameras w/2TB HDD
6x LNB8005-C 4K 4mm lens 88 deg FOV POE outdoor rated cameras
6x 60ft of ethernet cable (CAT 5e)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CPO

n3wb
Reaction score
Not a fan of box systems, but you did a very good job with that. :goodpost:
Thanks! I looked at trying to piece something together, but my initial lack of knowledge and the higher pricing of individual components pushed me away from that idea. I had to just start somewhere... and this seemed like the most reasonable place. I was originally going to go wire free, because of the simple install....but I've been test driving a Netgear Arlo camera... and it WILL NOT WORK. I don't like a lot about it. I soon realized it had to be wired. I also started at a price point of around $300-$400... and I quickly found that while I could get a system for that price... it wasn't going to be what I wanted in the long run. So I doubled that budget... and forgot to tell my wife. lol

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My issue with Lorex is if you want to have clips sent to you on event and correctly use H.265, the Flir app for Android does not support H.265. Also, you cannot install both Q-See QC View and Lorex's PC viewer on the same PC. With the Q-See viewer installed, the Lorex installer thinks the Lorex viewer is already installed. I've been working with Lorexbon fixing this for months.

CPO

n3wb
Reaction score
My issue with Lorex is if you want to have clips sent to you on event and correctly use H.265, the Flir app for Android does not support H.265. Also, you cannot install both Q-See QC View and Lorex's PC viewer on the same PC. With the Q-See viewer installed, the Lorex installer thinks the Lorex viewer is already installed. I've been working with Lorexbon fixing this for months.
Interesting.. I was wondering if there were downsides to using H.265. This may be one of them?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome Chris, and good to see you here!

Really enjoyed the video and hope others from SD would join us with their reviews.

I highly recommend adding 2 Dahua starlights to that system to get a nice complete kit for a good deal.

I like the Dahua mini-dome wedge model by my front door ( see my notes on this ) really nice once painted to match the walls.

Andy ( EmpireTecAndy member here ) is highly recommended here for Dahua OEM products, especially the well like starlights which currently are very hard to find in the USA, he's got a nice discount going. ( his email address is in #15 of my notes below )

His store.
-Black Friday Festival - Shop Cheap -Black Friday Festival from China -Black Friday Festival Suppliers at BEC Technology Co.,Ltd on Aliexpress.com

You're already ahead of the game significantly, so some of the following notes should be old hat, still some good stuff here for you.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

CPO

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm kinda wishing I got two 500' boxes of CAT5e instead of one 1000' box. That way I can easily run two at a time... Still waiting on my junction boxes to ship, but once those arrive I will start some installation. It'll probably be a camera or two at a time, as I find time.

CPO

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally got the first camera installed! My junction boxes finally arrived... but the strange thing is that I decided I didn't want to use them for the siding installation. Here's camera number one.... and you can see my temporary camera under it. I still have to terminate the inside end of the cat5e, but the camera side is terminated and taped up with that weatherproofing tape. I did a lot of thinking on this install, and decided I liked the way the camera base was able to mount up on the flat (top) half of the siding.

CPO

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll do a video on it sometime soon, but it enters the frame of the garage in the siding panel above the camera... cable goes inside the wall on this one... and it exits the camera to the left, right into the corner trim and pops over into the panel above the camera. I did that because I could control the hole for the cable independently of where the camera was actually mounted.

CPO

n3wb
Reaction score
Got the inside end terminated, and tested! Yay... Camera One launch successful!

Here's a comparison of the Arlo and the Lorex as of right now. I haven't adjusted the Lorex camera yet...but my guess on install was pretty good! lol These are just screenshots from my phone at 1x viewing... no zoom.

CPO

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to move the camera away from the wall so the ir does not reflect off the wall..
Thanks. I haven't actually adjusted the camera yet...so that is not the final position.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's how things are looking with the IR on.... Btw.... This NVR is LOUD! Annoyingly loud.
Thanks CPO,

Wow, to think that for about the same price as 2x of those Arlo Pro 3 camera kits ( BF deal for $375 at Costco ) you've got a significantly better image.

I've already tossed my Arlos out, as I was using them for the purpose of security camera ( not smarthome IFTTT ).

On the noise issues I have seen some replace the factory fan with a quieter one.

While I have a different Dahua OEM NVR - I put it in the hall closet.

Dee Dee

n3wb
Reaction score
after back and forth and back and forth i decided to buy this kit below instead of the 4K kit and will probably just buy 1 or 2 4K bullet and resell my 4MP dome and 4MP bullet since i do not need 9 cameras lol..

wanna trade 1 camera? your bullet to my dome.

Costco Wholesale