View IP cams without internet on LAN

BamBam33

n3wb
Reaction score
I am new to security systems. I acquired 8 Lorex 4mp IP PoE cams and no NVR. I borrowed a Lorex NVR to play around with to see if i liked it enough to buy one to complete my system, but was unimpressed with it. My biggest beef was not being able to use the native android app to view the cams in my LAN. I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and the dogs and me...and no Internet...i am trying to view the cams with the app over my LAN, but apparently cant do that without Internet, as far as i can figure anyway. Am i missing something? I can view with a 3rd party app, but i want the native app to work.

If i cant see them via LAN, then what other NVR would allow this and work with the Lorex cams? Dahua? My goal is to be able to view/record/play back the 2k resolution via true LAN (with no external Internet connection) as budget effecient as possible. I do not have a desktop good enough for blue iris either...just plain poor i guess. But poor or not, i wanna ID anyone who may steal from me so i can introduce myself to them first hand :)

I have searched this forum for an ans to my questions but cant find it if its there...so my appologies if this has been answered somewhere.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TinyCam Pro may work better than the lorex app. The gDMSS app would probably work too (Dahua makes Lorex).

You can buy a refurbished computer capable of running blue iris or other VMS for as little as $150-300

BamBam33

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate the response. At this point i would rather get a dedicated box to hide in the closet. In my research it seems buying an nbr labeled dahua is cheaper than labeled lorex, presumably due to markup. But it also seems the software is manipulated just a bit by lorex. If i find a cheaper dahua branded nvr, would that function properly with the cams i have? I also read something abkut reflashing the cams to dahuas natibe software i think???

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd suggest that you leave the firmware on the cameras alone.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, you don't need internet to make this work.
If you can view the camera feed on your phone with another app, then the native app should work when properly configured.

BamBam33

n3wb
Reaction score
No, you don't need internet to make this work.
If you can view the camera feed on your phone with another app, then the native app should work when properly configured.
When i had the borrowed lorex nvr attached and tried connecting via LAN and android Lorex Secure app (all on the same home network) it would never let me view live footage. It kept saying i didnt have an Internet connection. When i tethered a second cell phone to my home network for Internet connection the app would let me view live. Do i need to configure something different on the app or the nvr???

Nice avatar by the way

BamBam33

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd suggest that you leave the firmware on the cameras alone.
I agree with you on that. I want to add a dahua (or another decent) built in mic cam for our infant's room, do you know if dahua or another brand thats cheaper (only care for 720p or 1080p really bc i already have the infant ID'd at this point) that will play nice if i buy a lorex nvr to go with the other lorex cameras?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do i need to configure something different on the app or the nvr???
Sounds to me like the NVR was possibly set up to use 'P2P' (Peer to Peer), especially if you ever scanned QR code with your phone using their app.
Reset NVR to defaults, disabling P2P, set up NVR's network settings to work with your LAN; insure NVR IP is set to static, not DHCP.

Last edited:

0blar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi
Did you try to setup your own wifi access point ? (check if you have a device that can do it)
You will be able to connect your mobile phone to your access point then you can see all your cameras

BamBam33

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
Did you try to setup your own wifi access point ? (check if you have a device that can do it)
You will be able to connect your mobile phone to your access point then you can see all your cameras
If you mean seeing the cams via their ip addresses, yes. I have a separate router for the camera system, but dont have a power supply for each one and not wanting to buy a switch bc i plan to get an nvr at some point.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the NVR was possibly set up to use 'P2P' (Peer to Peer), especially if you ever scanned QR code with your phone using their app.
Reset NVR to defaults, disabling P2P, set up NVR's network settings to work with your LAN; insure NVR IP is set to static, not DHCP.
.and if you borrowed the NVR, I suggest you write all the original settings down and note the areas changed. Otherwise your friend is going to be pretty p*ssed when he gets his NVR back and it no longer works with his system! I'm guessing this is his spare, but even so, he's going to want it returned to the same settings as otherwise he's got to figure the whole thing out should his newer box ever go down causing him to need this one.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.and if you borrowed the NVR, I suggest you write all the original settings down and note the areas changed. Otherwise your friend is going to be pretty p*ssed when he gets his NVR back and it no longer works with his system! I'm guessing this is his spare, but even so, he's going to want it returned to the same settings as otherwise he's got to figure the whole thing out should his newer box ever go down causing him to need this one.
That's a good idea. I also thought of that initially but failed to mention that to the OP. Good catch!

BamBam33

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a good idea. I also thought of that initially but failed to mention that to the OP. Good catch!
Agreed! I have a very strict budget on this, will my IP lorex cams work with the nvr below? And if so whats the major trade-off going with this unit vs any of the lorex nvr's? All i am really looking for in my system is identifying within 15 yrds with exception of one cam that i need to identify at about 50yrds. I just want to record in 2k and be able to review recorded and live via android. I dont have internet so no need for any extra bells and whistles. Again, i really appreciate the help on likely trivial questions for u guys.

NVR4108-8P-4KS2
Online Shop Free Shipping DAHUA 8/16 Channel Smart 1U 8PoE 4K&H.265 Lite NVR without Logo NVR4108-8P-4KS2/NVR4116-8P-4KS2 | Aliexpress Mobile

BamBam33

n3wb
Reaction score
I said just record in 2k, but a 4k nvr is fine too bc i may get 4k cams in the future.