View remotely temperature

LOLA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello folks, i need your help.

I have hot steam pipe, which temp. can reach up to 120 Celsius degree. I need to find solution how i can check this temp remotely with phone, few times per day.

WiFI and Ethernet with cable is available in this location where is hot pipe.

I will be very happy for your advice, thanks

Oleglevsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "LOLA, message: 610545, participant: 124902"]
Hi guys, I need your help.
I have a hot steam pipe, temp. It can reach 120 degrees Celsius. I need to find a solution how I can check this temperature remotely using my phone several times a day.
Wi-FI and Ethernet with cable are available in the place where there is a hot pipe.
I will be very glad of your advice, thank you
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LOLA, I would start with a raspberry pi and thermocouple. Industrial solutions are readily available but costly.

Here in the States, high tech rednecks all have pellet smokers with thermocouple probes to sense grill and meat temperatures. Many have wifi with phone apps to monitor their beef. I bet that would work off the shelf.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is a ready made solution, no need to learn Rasberry PI or code anything. You just plug it in (110 volts OR usb 5 volt), then run the sensor. Alerts on high/low temps as well as high/low humidity. You can log in anytime/anywhere proactively or just wait for an alert. Will also alert you if the power goes out. I have 5 of these going back three years and they are very reliable. The max temp rating for these units is 125 Celsius (257 degrees and my furnace sensor mentioned below hits 140 degrees all the time). There are no monthly fees.

I have one on my overhead home theater projector. The projector is built into the rear wall with ventilation installed to keep it cooled. But I needed to know if the projector might get too hot as sometimes I watch movies in the afternoon in summer and i was concerned it might run to hot. The sensor came to the rescue several times when the ventilation fan was not working and the projector began overheating.

I have another one where I added a 15 foot cable to so that I could place the sensor tip into my furnace exhaust plenum (drilled a tiny hole in the plenum and stuck the sensor into the hole). I can monitor the health of my furnace easily from anywhere in the world. I know when it is on, what temp/humidity it is pumping out, etc. I can determine in the summer if the A/C is ‘blocking up’ from overuse. (Some people want it to be cooler than it can handle…). Lastly, the graphing capability of these sensors allows me to see any aberrant behavior instantly (furnace running for too long, temp output too high or too low, etc).

Does text and/or email and has a physical buzzer on it:

Here is a screenshot of the graph of my furnace sensor. I can easily see how it is behaving (again, the sensor is inside the main exhaust plenum just past the a/c coils and roughly 6 feet from the squirrel cage fan):
E4EB44CC-718B-45DA-ABD6-C9721037A031.png

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@DanDenver, the OP wanted something to monitor a steam pipe. Whereas the temperature range is adequate, would the sensor do well attached to a pipe with hose clamps? It is tough to tell from pictures.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My acurite weather station connectivity is so crappy, I have the head unit monitored with an old camera so you are definitely on to something there.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Boiler I am in charge of. i would like to put a camera in the boiler room focused on the gauges. sending me an email every hour or 1/2 hour. I'm already getting email alerts from this location. So I think I just need to get a couple 2mp Cams in there. I would like to track Domestic Hot Water temperature gauge, and Boiler temperature gauge.

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your boiler is sizable enough, it should have a BMS with a plc that could be configured to communicate via a gateway. Else if there are available analog output channels, you could send these to a raspberry pi (again? enough already!) to do the comms. Everything depends on budget of course. Two surplus cameras laying in the dustbin is a cheap solution.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
She's about a 50 year old Kewanee installed in 1973-74. Analog as all hell. the Summer boiler however has a Tekmar unit with some digital temp readouts that could be done that way. But Summer is not the big worry in Minnesota. It's those January nights -10 to -15 that worry me. I think Ill get a couple cams in there over the next week or two....Gives me a project.....Milkin the clock....:)

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow! If you got 50 years out of a boiler without rocking her up or rotting her out, you have done well! If I recall correctly, I have seen a lollipop with transducer built in so you don't need an additional well to have both. Probably from Omega since they do everything.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@DanDenver, the OP wanted something to monitor a steam pipe. Whereas the temperature range is adequate, would the sensor do well attached to a pipe with hose clamps? It is tough to tell from pictures.
Yes, the sensor could be attached to a boiler pipe (copper/black pipe/galvanized/etc) and get an accurate reading.

Reaction score
i used this one. for the health department to monitor the fridge and freezer temp in a food bakery

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Boiler I am in charge of. i would like to put a camera in the boiler room focused on the gauges. sending me an email every hour or 1/2 hour. I'm already getting email alerts from this location. So I think I just need to get a couple 2mp Cams in there. I would like to track Domestic Hot Water temperature gauge, and Boiler temperature gauge.
I have a camera on a accurite weather home station and I upload a screenshot every 60 seconds to my BI computer and use that image as an overlay on some of my cameras so I can see the current temp outside.

So in the same manner you could do the same with a camera on the gauges you want to monitor and use it's updating image as an overlay too. As for as pushing an image... I never got into that but BI is capable of doing it, I just don't know that process.

1637128024790.png

Last edited:

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi bradner.
Hat is model of camera what you use?
I just used the oldest camera I have, currently a 2MP Avigilon 2.0-h3. Any camera will do actually, I could have used any other I have as long as it would get a good close-up of the Accurite screen.

The camera aimed at the weather station base station is one of my BI cameras already so for me it was a relatively easy setup. Doing this remotely, if the camera wasn't part of my current local network, I wouldn't know how to describe the set-up procedures.

I like this setup because I get my actual outside yard temperature, not one from a weather station 10+ km away from my home and it won me major points from other housemembers which then gave me less resistance to purchase more cameras :)

Reaction score
I have a camera on a accurite weather home station and I upload a screenshot every 60 seconds to my BI computer and use that image as an overlay on some of my cameras so I can see the current temp outside.

So in the same manner you could do the same with a camera on the gauges you want to monitor and use it's updating image as an overlay too. As for as pushing an image... I never got into that but BI is capable of doing it, I just don't know that process.

View attachment 108669
Dahua Integration for Home Assistant would be an answer, I bet.